Champagne price increases

Could have gone Ganevat, Rougeard, PYCM…so many options.

2 Likes

I would add vintage Jose Dhondt BdB, NV Roland BdB, NV Bollinger, vintage Pierre Moncuit, vintage A. R. Lenoble BdB and for something different Salmon Pinot Meunier to that list. I have purchased all of them either in 2022 or 2021 for $60 or under.

3 Likes

Come on, you know Allemand is still good despite the Vleben. :rofl:

2 Likes

You almost had the right answer. And then Kris had to add more names I love.

2 Likes

I am talking about europe, we buy direct from the producer and sell to the customers. An italian customer sold a bottle of UC on Ebay, this was UCs reason for dropping us, they traced the bottle numner back to us. No idea what he expects us to do censor ever customer.

Producers have different attitudes to this from not caring to the other extreme. Savart has said, he would be doing something wrong, if his wines were not sold on the secondoary or tertiary market.

I totally understand this about not liking Savart, I think it took him quite some time to find his style, the releases over the last two years are a big step up to what he was doing before. What concerns me more are the big crus, Ouverture, L’Accomplie and Bulles de roses deliver in terms of price, if drinking now/young you have to give them a lot of air and time fror them show their potential. As to the bigger crus, Mon Benoit, Chretiens especially, I am a bit sceptical, especially in terms of price, I don’t think they deliver on the otherside Les Noues is a great champagne. The interesting contrast is Maillart, they press Savart’s grapes. Maillart is big production producer but if one takes the three producers, Maillart, Savart and E. Brochet there is not such a big difference in the quality, in the style yes and especially in the prices. E. Brochet told us that Maillart’s Platine is his house champagne. I totally get this, for me one of the best priced grower champagnes.

The other problem with Savart, he sells straight after Degorgement, says he has no room, I think if not transported or stored properly one will get a lot of bottle variation. A shame considering how much work he puts into his champagnes.

2 Likes

Dehours does not get the aclaim he deserves from certian quarters, I think this is due to prejudices towards the Meunier grape which I think is a terribel mistake. For me a much safer and cheaper bet than Prevost. Also in terms of tension in champagnes Dehour is a master.

There was a change in style. In the past they released mostly vintage champagnes, with the 2015 vintage that changed. They moved to a vin perpetuelle system with the Brisefer and the La Croix Joly. The vin perpetuelles are relatively young but with the new release they have the Selosse gist, lack depth of an old solera/vin perpetuelle but there is also a strong oxidative element in the champagnes, not to the same extent as Selosse but it is there, With the style change they said this was to adapt to climate change and that they would keep their options open in the future about releasing vintages.

5 Likes

Any thoughts on the wines he’s making in collaboration with Drémont Père et fils? We popped a bottle of Éphémère 009 GC recently and really enjoyed it.

We cannot get it because Savart sells this exclusively to an agent, but it is supposed to be really good and on my bucket list of champagnes to try.

4 Likes

I’ve tried most of the Ephemeres that have been made. They’re relative cheap in the US, but for me punch about right for their price point, well made solid champagnes, but not terribly exciting/different

2 Likes

Another new producer (to us) we’ve recently enjoyed is Lancelot-Royer from Cramant. Small grower, does everything by hand. Not exactly a screaming value, but very fine wines. Only available from one importer in the US? Anyway, worth a try if you like GC Champs from the CdB.

L-B pricing at the winery has definitely gone up. I was there in 2019 and 2022. For comparison:

2019 Pricing:

2012 Chemins - 70 Euro
2009 and 2010 Levant - 85 Euro

2022 Pricing:

2014 Chemins - 114 Euro
2012 Levant (sold out) - either 140 or 160 Euro, I can’t remember exactly

I’d say prices have gone up …

2 Likes

I’ll have to dig out my pricing, but that 2012 Levant pricing would be above US retail, which seems odd.

Just checked my email quick, had an offer of the 2012 Levant for 145 , sure there were others too. 2014 Chemins was 145 too

2 Likes

You can buy the 12 Levant right now for 150. I’ve not seen ex-cellar in champagne pegged at the level of (or close to) US retail. Maybe this was after I visited in July.

2 Likes

Those look cheap compared with the French distributers list I got this week.

1 Like

This conversation made me look, just grabbed two bottles for <130 delivered

1 Like

It’s possible prices significantly went I up after I was there in July.

1 Like

Well WK’s score on it came out at the end of August (just to bring this converstion alllll the way back around :imp: )

1 Like

I can see on your website that our champagnes are sold at very lower prices than at the domain.

This is a real issue for us because when customers come at the domain, they do not understand why they can find our champagnes at lower prices.

In order to preserve our tariff coherence, could you please update the prices on your website ?

Latitude : 43,00 € Longitude : 46,50€ Rosé de Saignée : 61,50€

Vieille Vigne du Levant 2010 : 87,00€ Les Chemins d’Avize 2013 : 98,00 €

Please find bellow the link of our website where you will find our public prices.

Champagnes Larmandier-Bernier - Champagne Larmandier-Bernier

We had old stock and received this email from the domaine, this was on the 15.09.2020

5 Likes

I might be wrong but quite sure that the request from the producer is illegal under EU competion regulations with all implications a breach like that might come with.

1 Like