Champagne price increases

Even for WDC this feels like an escalation.

(Yes, this is likely a pricing error, but I laughed anyway)

3 Likes

Amazing that sold out at that price!

1 Like

Several LB fans in this thread. Wonder who the big spender is?

2 Likes

Keep an eye out in the “High end bottles that are worth it” thread to see who was happy with their $16,189.99 bottle of 2013 Levant.

3 Likes

Did y’all see the Envoyer offer for 2008 Diebolt Vallois Fleur de Passion yesterday? $380 for a 750. $800 for a magnum. Did I miss where they increased by 3 or 4x recently?

1 Like

A modest increase over the 59€ I paid for the 2006 and only understandable given 2008’s reputation as the stronger vintage.

1 Like

In April 2022 Envoyer offered it for $170.

2 Likes

And this increase is without WK covering them.

I heard this week, Mousse is increasing the prices by roughly 10 € across the whole range, no idea what sort of market research he is doing or is the hype going to his head. I like the champagnes but not that much to swallow such a price increase.

1 Like

How much is that in percentage terms?

1 Like

I’m not ITB and don’t really keep very close tabs on these things, but this doesn’t really strike me as atypical of what has been happening elsewhere. As a consumer tracking (to the extent that I do) retail prices in countries like Belgium, Germany, NL or France, if I said dozens and dozens of popular growers seem to have gone up by at least 10EUR across the range over the last two years, I don’t think I’d be far off the mark. And then, of course, you have some totally insane things like Terre de Vertus going from average price around 50EUR to more like 100EUR in under a year…

1 Like

But then, on Mousse’ specifically, I was already kind of on the fence about his wines on the whole and this definitely has me sliding further away. But something tells me that, while I may be on the way down, he is definitely on the way up :rofl:

I saw some TdV here in the US today for just under $100. That is one retailer, and I know in some other places that I can find it for $75, but it speaks to your point about escalation.

On the point of Cedric, we might argue in his defense (or whomever is in part/all behind the increase, as we have talked here about not just the domaine causing the escalation) that he has managed a lower price for some time, and with the investments he has made in the winery and his farming (I know these to be true because I have seen them in Cuisles) that he can seek to recoup those investments. In his case, we’re not talking about wines that are already over $100 US, but cheaper.

1 Like

Good for you… I live a two-and-a-half-hour drive from there and it would be a real struggle these days to find it at the equivalent of 75USD. BTW, anyone any idea about the cellar-door price these days?

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know if this is to any extent in reference to my post, but I don’t think he needs “defending” at all. Thought I’d written as much… or at least not implied he had a case to answer :rofl:

1 Like

Cedric is raising prices? Great for him. Lovely man, terrific wines.

TdV?

1 Like

Larmandier-Bernier Terre de Vertus

3 Likes

He is such a large personality, and someone that I appreciate for his tendency towards having the next idea. If I could harness his energy and find a way to put into the grid, like my solar panels, I would do it!

2 Likes

Just a year ago I could buy Chartogne-Taillet Ste Anne for $35…

4 Likes