Champagne lessons

I looked at my notes—144 bottles of champagne opened in the past year. What have I learned? Not as much as I’d like.

1. grand marques are indeed great, especially with age—Taittinger, Dom, Krug, Salon, Roederer.
  2. I usually find non dosage too austere though haven’t had many w age.
  3. Doyard and Egly-Ouriet are new favorites.
  4. Haven’t yet pinned down any geography that I prefer.
  5. Still don’t “understand” champagne terroir, if it exists.
  6. C. Bouchard is great.
  7. Love it with age, too aggressive young.
  8. Salon 1996 is at the top
  9. There are superb $60 champagnes and many that suck. Many are overpriced.
  10. Clouet, Dhondt, Guiborat are very good.
  11. There’s no easy way to learn Champagne.
  12. I’m not giving up.
26 Likes

Impressive to have 144 bottles opened in the past year - enviable, to be sure!

Love the list, however - a fantastic guide you should keep editing as you go. Wish I had this for any varietal or region, would make things much more targeted in terms of purchases

2 Likes

Any specific bottlings in the $60 range you’d call out?

2 Likes

P. Moncuit, Guiborat, Clouet, lower level Doyard, Ruinart rosé, Delamotte (on sale), Moutard, Gosset grand reserve brut.

3 Likes

I agree with your note about enjoying Champagne more with some age - how many years would you give these bottles to mellow out? I haven’t tried aging the more entry-level Champagnes.

2 Likes

I don’t really know. I do like Billecart-Salmon brut rosé with 5-6 years on it.

3 Likes

Love the note, the approach and the conclusions. I haven’t opened as many bottles this year, but am on a similar journey. I’m really finding the terroir/sub-regions of Champagne to be hard to understand, remember, and keep track of - or to connect to my preferences. Aged grand marques, though, yes, love them.

Lot’s of good points…

1. Dom Ruinart 2002 and Dom Perignon Rose 2002 are top of the heap for me
  2. I’m not a fan of non dosage…it sounded like a good idea but needs a super ripe vintage IMO.
  3. I found Doyard on winebid and bought them because of the shape of the bottle…very 18th century. I’ve loved them ever since.
      1. If Champagnes are a blend, terroir might only apply to single vineyard wines. Even wines gathered from only one village can still have wildly varying soils/exposures.

One to add…lately I’ve been purchasing a lot of magnums…one of my “wines of my life” was a twenty year old mag of Bollinger Brut NV. It depends on the base vintage I guess, but there have been so many “good” to “very good” vintages that I’m hoping I luck out. Even when I see a strange name I’ll buy a mag if it’s reasonable. Cellar Tracker helps me keep track of the age (since purchase) so in due course I can open them and see if champagne really is better out of mag.

4 Likes

I came to Champagne from Burgundy, and for a long time, in my hubris, I took a Burgundian perspective when approaching Champagne. I especially believed that one could understand Champagne by understanding the terroirs. My partner and I had the ambition to have a producer from every appellation, and we actually succeeded in doing so. We tasted a lot of young Champagne, and in my opinion, during this phase, it is best to feel the nuances of the soils. However, apart from this aspect, drinking young Champagne offers little joy.

In fact, the longer I am involved with Champagne, the less I believe in the relevance of terroirs. There are obviously better soils and sites, but I think it ultimately comes down to the producer and the work they do. Perhaps I am in a privileged position to be able to taste a lot of Champagnes, but this has led me to think and advise customers to find 4-6 producers whose style they like and are comfortable with the price. I taste so many Champagnes, yet there are so few that I truly wish to revisit.

Regarding the geography, anyone who has visited Burgundy will know how everything fits together as one drives from Dijon to Maranges, especially if they have done a little homework. The Champagne region, on the other hand, is massive. I would approach it like Germany. Break it into 8 or 10 regions and taste the regions from that standpoint rather than trying to understand it as a whole. Also, when visiting, if one has the time, try to explore one region at a time rather than trying to understand the whole region.

I usually find non-dosage too austere, though I haven’t had many aged ones.

Explore Champagne with food. Champagne works well with everything. Trying to understand dosage outside the context of food is challenging. If you say you don’t like high dosage, try a high dosage Champagne with a creamy morel sauce with poultry, veal, or fish. If you struggle with low dosage or non-dosage (ND), try it with a fresh goat’s cheese or a creamy Camembert. Meunier with soy sauce based cuisine, Rosé with cold roastbeef and horseradish. For me, the most enjoyable part of Champagne is pairing it with food. For me the universal best food pairing for any champagne is Kentucky fried chicken. I have hat it with Krug and Cristal and Egly but also with 30€ champagnes and in each case it works.

For me, the most important thing is to approach each new year with an open mind. The Champagne region is so dynamic and ever-changing.

If I were to give tips this year on producers, Brice from Bouzy and Bourgeois-Diaz are unbelievably good. In the Côtes de Blanc, you have high flyers like Vincey, La Rogerie, and Frere Mignon. It’s a bit like the tortoise and the hare. I feel the latter are exhausting themselves, while Pertois-Lebrun just goes from strength to strength.

11 Likes

How do you define youth? Are you speaking of both non-vintage and vintage bottles? At what age do you generally prefer to drink a standard NV?

When the new releases arrive we try to taste at least one or two of the bottles to get a sense of the style to understand what we are selling. Most producers release 4-8 months post degorgement, I find at this stage the champagnes have more wine like aromatics and the attribitutes of different terroirs are more pronounced. One and half years changes everything.

I don’t want to get into the business of giving drinking windows .I find even champagnes that we sell for 20-30 € improve with two or three years aging. Last week a 16 € champagne that I held for 3 years for my sister in laws 60th birthday, was wonderful, those attending were not wine geeks and it was the right champagne for the occasion.

Again as someone who sells I am very conservative about drinking windows especially with non dosage champagne or no sulphur champagnes but also on making sweeping statements on vintages. I think for instance with 2017, it is probably not for the long haul and I really enjoy drinking these champagnes now. The same with 19 some were so good, very difficult not to drink now.

The only thing where I am dogmatic is with the likes of Krug and Cristal, drinking these with less than ten years is for me is just wasting money and snobbery. Grower champagnes for short to medoium drinking and the big chamagnes for aging.

5 Likes

Thank you!

This has been my experience as well. I thought maybe you were talking about many years. I have never gone longer than 5 years with a NV and it stopped improving after two. One cuvee, from one producer. Not sufficient data to generalize.

1 Like

+1 to the general sentiment that all Champagne benefits from at least a couple years sleeping post-release.

1 Like

I truly appreciate your post…and agree with many of your conclusions. We’re drinking far more champagne than ever…over 100 bottles this past year. We buy Cristal, Dom, and Taittinger CDC for the cellar. But it’s the everyday drinking with a variety of food that’s the large increase. The producers we drink most are: Christophe Mignon, Pierre Moncuit, Egly-Ouriet, Marguet, and Bereche. Luckily have a decent source for Cedric Bouchard for those lovely summer evenings in Michigan. The producer we drink as our “house” bubbly is Benoit Dehu…I’m a sucker for sub-$100 Pinot Meunier…I’ve learned so much about Champagne from Wine Berserkers. Kudos to the champagne posters…you know who your are!

1 Like

Appreciate the post and subsequent replies as I am exploring Champagne as well. Two standout producers in the last year or so in my experience have been Marc Hebrart and Chartogne-Taillet. I am also amazed at the high degree of quality maintained by Louis Roederer in all their bottlings despite the massive scale of production. I had not thought of pairing different types of food with Champagne based on amount of dosage, but it makes a lot of sense!

Agree that the landscape is changing rapidly so there is a lot to catch up on. That alone makes this region quite exciting to study.

1 Like

For many years, I was not a fan of Champagne, but over the years that has changed a lot. My favorites probably are Taittinger CDC and Dom Ruinart. At lower price points, I like Delamotte Vintage, Bereche, Ruinart and Taittinger Prestige, among others.

Pertois-Lebrun: not a bottle available in US or Europe via w-s.

Bourgeois-Diaz: none in US

Brice: various US

I’ll search the others mentioned.

I have indeed approached Champagne like Burgundy. That must be the mistake. I’ve tried to understand terroir and I can’t. I’ve simply found some producers and wines I’ve liked. I guess that has to satisfy me.

1 Like

Pertois-Lebrun is not only available in the US, but three wines are available at Hi Time. Click the link below.

2 Likes

Well, you can’t expect to learn an entire specialty from only 12 cases.

:clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

My wife and I have become enthralled with the Hebrart wines. Such great value.

3 Likes