Ceritas Aug 5

I placed my order today for the Porter Bass Chard and the Hellenthal “Old Shop Block” PN.

Ditto with that order, seems to be the popular combo. Just an FYI for the mailing list customers you can get the Costalina PN by contacting Ceritas directly (limit 6) they didn’t make enough to offer it to the entire list so I inquired and picked up a few.
Cheers!

my order also

How much were the Costalina? $50
They’re available at retail for that amount right now and from what Phoebe told me, that was because of COVID and trying to help out their distro. They will be pulling the Coastalina/Marena away from distribution due to robust ML/Intl demand & lower production next year.

I also tasted the 18 PMR Cab w/both John & Phoebe and John said this vintage is the best they’ve made. I was quite sad they only had 1 bottle for me take home and have to wait till Oct now lol.

I also went with PBC and Hellenthal Pinot. I will be going long on the cab in the fall…

Cheers,
JP

Sipping a ‘16 PMR right now—freaking delicious [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Hey Vince,
The price I was quoted was $40 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Sad to hear about pulling the Coastalina/Marena off the mailing list but I can understand with the demand for their vino, it’s one of the few mailing lists I buy from every offering.

Oh it’ll stay on the ML but no longer available in stores

Ceritas Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 released today.

Dear Friends:

We end our release schedule each year with our Peter Martin Ray Cabernet Sauvignon. The 2018 vintage was our seventh year working with this noble site and we are so thrilled to continue deepening our relationship with this vineyard and how best to showcase its noble terroir.

The site is impressive and the resulting wine is something so familiar to the old wines of California. The vineyard straddles a north-south running ridge, one ridge south of Ridge’s Monte Bello site. Meager soils with exceptional drainage force the 90-year-old dry-farmed vines to seek water, nutrients, and life from the bedrock. The vineyard is head-trained and farmed by the same two people for the past 20 years, which gives the vineyard consistency and a depth of knowledge that is rare. This is a wine of history, a wine of pedigree, and a wine you will want to pull out of your cellar in 20+ years to enjoy with good friends and food.

After a mild summer, we harvested perfectly mature grapes on September 26th. The flavors of our samples leading up to harvest were vibrant and full of depth which gave us the first glimpse that we had a classic vintage on our hands. The grapes were destemmed and put into a concrete fermentor. In total, fermentation lasted 28 days, after which we allowed a few days for the tannins to mellow. There was great depth and concentration with aromatics like we saw in 2015. Aged for 30 months in Bordeaux barrels (70% of which were new). Unfined, unfiltered with minimal sulfur.

We hope you enjoy this wine for many years to come. Thank you for your continued support. Be well.
2018 PETER MARTIN RAY CABERNET SAUVIGNON / SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS

As classic as it gets. Racy, elegant and super-refined, 2018 possesses magnificent balance. The wine bursts from the glass with intoxicating aromas of rose petal, bilberry, and freshly rolled tobacco. On the palate, smooth tannins are backed by energy and vibrancy. Pure black fruit and bright mineral notes make this one of the best wines we have made to date from Peter Martin Ray. (2023-2050?)

Order in, despite the strain on my wallet. It’s just a unique Cab - there’s nothing quite as chalky and restrained out there.

1 Like

Yes, I picked up three of the Cabs. One of the very recs I picked up on my Napa visit.

I agree it’s a unique cab but my first taste was the 2014 vintage which wasn’t that great so I haven’t been quick to buy the cab since I’m purchasing pretty much pinot/chard and I have a bunch of cab in the cellar from other producers. I’ll likely purchase some older Ceritas cab and see how it’s ageing.

Did you get to taste the 2018?

I’ve been buying since the 2015 vintage and have yet to open a bottle. I think it’s time.

This is my 3rd vintage of the Cab. Love the style and complexity.

Sorry, my first purchase. Ketan mentioned the wines.

1 Like

Had the 2019 Porter-Bass Chardonnay yesterday and it was fantastic. Nobody quite does Chardonnay like Ceritas in CA. They’re just elegant, ethereal wines that seem to float on top of everyone else.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree with you more Adam. I purchased some more chardonnay this last release.

1 Like

QQ for the group here since you seem to have a lengthy Ceritas history. I’ve been buying since 2014 vintage (chards and pinots), but I’m curious to hear from you all how you think the chards do with age. I still have one of all of them from 2014, tried some in youth but also wouldn’t mind if they put on a little more weight to pair with that monstrous acidity. Thoughts?

Hey Patrick, I love the Chards in their youth so I drink most within 2-3yrs. I love the ripping acidity so I purposely don’t lay them down for the long term. I have had some from 2012-13 that did put on some more weight but the acidity was still prominent which is why I love their wines. Hope that helps.