Central Otago Pinot Noir Celebration

Mods, move this to Travel if this is the wrong place.

Has anyone been to this little dealio in the end of January before?
http://www.pinotcelebration.co.nz/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m not particularly a NZ pinot fan, though I like to keep an open mind. But the wife has (lets just say) a milestone bday coming up during this stretch, and a biz conference in Sydney just after. And it’s not a bad time for a little break from Seattle winter.

OTOH, the conference and the airfare are not cheap.
Any experience? Worth it, not worth it?

Jim,

Worth it. Casual and fun. I always go, have booked already, but then again I do not have to travel far. Lots to do in Queenstown…

Haven’t been to the festival but Central Otago is some of the most beautiful wine country in the world. And the Pinots aren’t bad either!

Pyramid Valley makes some great wines from that region. Check them out if you have a chance.

Pyramid Valley is actually in Canterbury (just north of Christchurch) although they do make a Pinot from the Calvert Vineyard in Central Otago. They’re definitely among NZ’s most exciting Pinots.

Y’know, I keep hearing journalists and others chirping Central Otago! Central Otago! Central Otago! as NZ’s premier pinot noir region, but when I think back to the NZ pinots I find really compelling, none of 'em have been from Central Otago. Who are some producers there worth looking for?

Hey, thanks for the responses folks.

I’m certainly interested in Keiths question - in particular regarding the participating wineries,
http://www.pinotcelebration.co.nz/wineries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but any other suggestions around Queenstown.
We may take an extra day or so down there vs. staying in Auckland.

I am really quite a newbie w/ NZ PN. From the wineries list, I have had only the odd wine from Amisfield and Mt. Difficulty in the past. The rest are complete unknowns to me.

I think all the wineries will be there and no problem getting to talk to the owners and makers. Felton Road, Carrick, Peregrine, Rippon, Mt Edward and many many more… 09 and 10 were good vintages so there should be a host of fine wines. Clos de Tart is the visiting Burgundy house, Sylvain Petiot guest speaker, I expect involved in the burgundy tasting.
I would certainly stay in the south rather than go to Auckland. Lots to do and see depending on how extreme you want to be.

Haven’t had any that were “really compelling”, but Rippon makes some nice Pinots with Felton Rd probably my fav.

The event is supposed to be quite enjoyable and gaining momentum every year.

RT

Jim - Go!!! Even if the event is just so-so, there is not a more stunningly beautiful place on the planet. A few suggestions:

Felton Road and Olsenns for Pinot, two of my favorites.

If you play golf, play Jack’s Point! http://www.jackspoint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have dinner at Saffron in Arrowtown!

GO!!!