CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

What if I take an Uber? Pro-rata the Uber cost across the wines based on cost or evenly split?

I have Uber credits, should I subtract those from the wine costs?

This is going to get hard if I have to start charting time spent on wine retailer websites and subtract for that. Maybe the answer is to open up a wine store and just expense it all out, drinking included.

I only input the cost of the wine without tax and shipping. The two times I use the information where I need to rely on it are (1) buying more of the same wine and wondering what I paid before and (2) selling the wine. When I sell I simply add 9% sales tax and figure $2/bottle shipping for my cost basis if the wine was shipped. When I have infrequent costs like overnight flight shipping then I add it to bottle notes. When I used to buy from auction, I added in the buyers premium and made a note of it in purchase notes. This coming from a CPA type.

If it’s in my offsite should I increase the cost every month by the per bottle fee?

[rofl.gif]

As a follow up Pax was kind enough to automatically send me an itemized invoice with bottle cost, even illustrating the discount I receive for being a club member. Made my OCD tendencies much easier to handle.

I’m pretty sure you are trying to be ridiculous, but sometimes I DO include the cost of transportation. There is a shop that is 23 miles from my house, and I rarely go to that area for any other reason. Using the federal mileage allowance of 58 cents a mile, that costs me $26.68 to go pick up some wine, which is not an overlookable amount in my book.

Ive always wondered this for mixed lots bought at auction.

(Disregarding the shipping/tax question) Im talking about when you buy a mixed lot - may be different vintages of same wine or a mix of different wines, and you paid one flat price for the lot, do you try to prorate/calculate an accurate price for each bottle of jus divide the cost of the lot by the number of bottles and enter that in CT?

Often times the value of bottles within a mixed lot can be wildly different, which is why i find the average misleading/less than satisfying…