CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

For bottle price, you need to do what makes you feel right about it.

For a wine club I would probably just divide the total cost by the bottle count. But that’s me. As others have mentioned, they would want to know the breakdown.

For the rest of the costs, I always include shipping but not tax. Tax is mostly pretty constant and within a few percentage points of each other when it’s not. Shipping however can vary greatly depending on many factors. When choosing where to purchase something I always consider shipping. A low price may not be so low if the retailer has high shipping costs. It might be a better deal to pay a greater retail price to get lower shipping elsewhere. So the total cost to me definitely includes shipping.

I included taxes and shipping. Need to see what my all in costs are if I need to comparison shop locally.

In CT there are sections for Purchase cost and Value. If you want you can divide it by 6 since that’s what you paid then enter in the actual value of the wines by researching the cost. This is something I also do.

+1

I enter the bottle cost plus the pro-rated cost per bottle for tax, S+H.

I always do cost without tax or shipping, though for WineBid I DO include the “buyer’s premium”.

I thought Pax priced out their bottles individually on the website? When there’s a case discount or some other thing modifying the price on a group of wines I usually find out what RRP is on the wines, divide what I paid from that total then apply that discount to each wine individually pro-rata.

I believe they do but I haven’t researched it yet. Some don’t. I was mainly just curious if my method of doing a pro rata based on the wineries MSRP was the way most people did it.

For those who’ve been around a while apologize it turned into another discussion of entering cost plus shipping. Wasn’t my intent!

Poll!

The older I get, the less I care about this level of detail. When I buy wine, I enter the bottle cost and forget about the tax and shipping.

[flash=][/flash]

Tsk tsk tsk…I am SO excited about entering some bottles in € after my trip this week! [cheers.gif]

Paul, where was your trip and is there sarcasm in your answer?

This. But if I’m buying in Europe, I do the conversion to $, then subtract what I would have paid in sales tax here to make it seem like an even better deal!

No sarcasm, just some cheery orneriness as I still do care about getting the dollars and cents correct.
I think it’s cool that if I pick up some Frühburgunder from the locals this week in Southwest Germany I can enter the price as, say, €7,90 instead of trying to figure out the exchange rate.

Paul, ah, I see. When I was in Champagne last year, and hauled back about a case, I just took a guess at the conversion rate and keyed that as USD when I put the bottles into CT. BTW, enjoy your ‘hamburger’ wine when you get around to opening it.

Should you include the cost of gas in the purchase price when entering wines bought at my local wine store? Asking for a friend.

Yes. As well as pro-rata insurance costs, as well as wear-and-tear on the vehicle. While you’re at it, place a value on your time, and add that in, too. cheesehead

Not for me because I never go that far for gas to amount to anything but pennies.

Thanks, that is what I thought. Now I can sleep better at night knowing at least my wine costs in CT are accurate.

And calculate the wear and tear on your shoes and clothes. Haha!

At your service. [bow.gif]