Cellar Tracker archetypes

Elitism or just plain good knowledge that can be intimidating/overwhelming?

Ha ha ha! I know exactly what you’re talking about with #3. That was some of the best stuff I’ve ever seen on CT. Hoping he’s better at playing piano than posting tasting notes and listening to reason (06 Comtes is old!?!?)

I’m with Gerhard. It’s like using the Billboard Top 100 to pick music, or the internet’s artistic values to pick a painting. By and large, the public doesn’t know what the hell it is talking about, and my tastes most certainly do not line up with the vox populi. If I recognize a handle I can find something useful there but an opinion registered by wolfgang3645 means nothing to me. I don’t like Kanye or most big box office comedy movies either

I admit however, that I do look at the notes when I am trying to decide whether a wine is “ready,” but only because this board and CT are the most comprehensive available sources on older wines.

I think that’s fair if you know your preferences well enough. I’m still in a phase of learning where I value any decent information I can get about a wine before I try it. Here’s an example - 2002 La Conseillante. There’s a bottle on Winebid for $60. I think to myself, “that’s a producer I’m eager to try, and with 16 years of age, not a bad price”. I’ve had one or two right banks from the year which showed fine, so why not? But then I quickly check CT and notice that 20 ratings gave the wine an 88.7. Far below any other vintage in the last 25 years. I look at the notes (about half the scores have them) and find a consistent message of a lean, green wine that lacks complexity. The scores cluster around 87-90 with very few outliers. This information makes it an easy pass because I think $60 should be able to garner a wine that I’m likely to enjoy. For comparison’s sake, I searched 2002 La Conseillante on WB and found crickets. I don’t want to dig through a long thread that is generally about 2002 BDX given the alternative.

And it’s a bit different than the Billboard analogy for a few reasons, namely that the ratings are input by individual users that have both the means and interest to do so, thus making up a small proportion of the wine drinking populous. The data source is not remotely like what Bruno Mars song gets the most play by syndicated radio networks.

Isn’t this what social media is all about!? newhere

{Note to self: delete FB friend request to Brian}

Sorry for the thread drift
Thought of others:

The Muppet Swedish Chef - SWTISH RNDISH FRT with NICE pucker GRT! :slight_smile:
The Zen Master: “This ethereal, otherworldly wine evokes deep visceral sensations and awakens one’s inner being. Its soul crushing energy lifts this spirit to a place of pure nirvana”

I think these archetypes are dead-on and hilarious. I derive the same value that John does in referencing CT notes, however remain exasperated at some of the notes on their - called out by the archetypes mentioned in this thread. I don’t see it as elitism - it’s more like poking a bit of fun and blowing off some steam.

100% agree.

[snort.gif]

Lucky for you, this can be easily “tested”. Buy the wine, try it, your palate will line up rather quickly. Plus, buying a wine with your hard earned dollars, and then drinking it, is a sure way to learn about it rather quickly. The pocketbook experience doesn’t lie…

By all means, use the tool if you find it helpful but I would post a thread here asking for experience with the wine if it were me. I’d also take a chance on a $60 bottle of Conseillante pretty much without further inquiry. The fact that someone on CT got a touch of green or thought it “meager” might mean a lot if I knew who the taster was, but if he or she (or they) were huge CA syrah/Napa cab drinkers I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

I don’t use yelp and don’t rely on crowd sourced reviews on rotten tomatoes so it isn’t a surprise that I don’t find a lot of enlightenment in the scores on CT.

That’s not Zen, that’s contradiction!

It doesn’t have to make sense to be penned! (As we have learned well from the thread on professional critics’ redundancies)
Or to be zenned!

Jeez, I hate that too! I don’t care about points. Tell me what the wine tastes like!

I don’t know how to categorize this next type. I had a person want to friend me last week. According to CT, he had been a member for nine years, yet had no wines in inventory nor any tasting notes. I took a pass. [scratch.gif]

its ironic that you claim the site is taking things way too seriously by completely missing the fact that this thread is lighthearted and taking it too seriously.

The guy who has nothing better to do than to complain so he complains about other people, complains about wine, complains about wine glasses and most of all complains about social media posts of other people instead of adding anything of value all by himself.

The “Baby Killer” - Guy who opens bottles of Barolo and Barbaresco way to young and then calls them over the hill, light or too astringent. Followed by a low score.

As for scoring. I’m in the camp of wanting people to score. Half the time I can’t tell if someone really liked a wine by their tasting note. Or, when someone tastes a few bottles next to each other, they may have all be “good”, but which was the best? Scores help, IMHO.

The Clueless Technicalist: “LEGS SLOW, COLOR dark, Body: HIGH, 89 Points”

I’ve been guilty of this before

I’m sure I’ve been guilty of downing plenty of wines that I didn’t fully understand as well. It’s just a learning process, right?