Caviar

The hackleback sturgeon caviar from this place is very good, and affordable in quantity: http://www.georgiaseafood.com/

Thank you Robert, order placed.

P.S. → the order came very quickly. I ordered the 4 oz of caviar plus “a box” of jumbo shrimp.

I received 5 one pound bags of frozen shrimp, in an insulated box, which provided cooling for the tin of caviar.

With one day shipping to NJ, total was $232.50

I plan to take some to a party tomorrow – and the rest to our relatives’ house for Christmas Eve.

Just gave it a taste – will be serving some tonight with Gary Danko style blini (see Blini thread for link).

It’s good for American. Black pearls, a little salty and a little fishy, most comparable to regular Russian beluga, which is not a bad thing. Not the caviar of my dreams but I’ll probably never taste such stuff again.

Our costco is carrying 2oz packs of some Plaza de Caviar farmed American caviar for $67, including a mother of pearl spoon. I decided to not try it since there was little info on the package what it actually contained. This is the company although I can’t say for sure which product is the one at costco:
http://www.plazadecaviar.com/category_s/60.htm

They also have salmon roe for $7/4oz.

Also a collection online although none of this is exactly what’s available in our costco:

Interestingly they have a local storefront so I can avoid costco and any overnight shipping charges. I may check it out:
http://www.palaceoffinefoods.com/

I’m not sure how relevant this is because Costco probably changes suppliers – but the caviar I have bought there around Christmas in the past was not as good as the stuff from Georgia Seafood. It’s quite possible that the Plaza de Caviar stuff is just as good or better, I have no idea who produced the Costco stuff a few years back…

Costco rolling the three pack sampler.
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG

Plated.
IMG_2454.JPG

How does it taste?

Like fish eggs.

Nicely played. Let me try it this way, would you buy it again and serve it to Bowden?

Had the Plaza Golden Osetra at Marche Moderne. Very good. I would order it again.

Yes, but only if you come down to be his snuggle bunny.

Quite possibly the least helpful tasting note ever, including all things Burgundy-related… neener

Both were Nice+

Bill Tex, I wonder if you can tell me how you get the blinis all to be circular and the same diameter? The batter I am using for my buckwheat blini is so gluey that it’s really awkward to handle. Maybe a pastry bag? With spoons, I leave strings of batter in the pan and some pancakes are twice as big as others…

those look like potato slices, not blinis. And they look great!
alan

I thought so as well. Great idea!!

That would explain it!!

:slight_smile:

Those are Russett Burbank taters sliced about a quarter inch thick, brushed with clarified buttter and baked for 25 minutes at 325. For blini, Kristi gets a griddle up to speed and she uses a small ice cream scoop to make uniform size.

Freak…what weekend are you free?