Caviar

Thanks for the comments - maybe I’ll just give it a try - price of entry at most places isn’t all that high.

Best caviar I’ve ever had the fortune to have had a number of times (though not since the late-80s/90s) was Petrossian Beluga - was lucky enough many, many years ago to help a friend finish up by the spoonful a kilo tin which had been given to his father by a client (I think it was the second of 2 tins and so they were sick of it by the time that I stopped by - crazy - I’m just happy enough when clients pay my bills).

I was wondering something as I read up on the websites above - a lot of the “imported” caviar seems to come from farms in Isreal, Bulgaria, or Germany. If it’s not coming from cold Russian waters, is there really any difference between these and a domestic farmed caviar? Why not just buy from these guys in Sacramento?

When I was a honcho my Christmas gift to myself was always 1/2Kg of Petrossian Beluga and when available Imperial. I,like you pretty much would eat it with a bone spoon sometimes with Champagne but mostly with some viscous good vodka from the freezer. Shirley didn’t care for it and I didn’t encourage her to keep trying.

I don’t have experience with top tier caviar, but the good stuff I’ve had is best on its own, no blini or anything.

You guys have me thinking about my New Year’s Day lunch earlier than normal. I’ll have to see what we have in our caviar cooler at the store tomorrow.

The Iranian stuff was like that – you could take your mother of pearl spoon and just gobble a couple of ounces of the stuff. Not fishy, not salty, not black – beautiful little grey pearls that were delicious and had a taste of the sea. Fresh, lovely texture, not gluey.

That was a peak experience – but I think I even kind of like mediocre caviar, given the blini and sour cream treatment. If it’s black salty and gluey, what the hell, it’s better than no caviar at all… Chop some onions and hard boiled egg, load up with creme fraiche, it’s all good.

Just need a glass of decent Champagne to wash it down.

I ordered a double Ikura, salmon roe, at the sushi bar as my usual starter this week. The couple next to us at the sushi bar made yucky faces when they saw me tear into the roe. I love the stuff.

It sounds like trying some paddlefish roe may be in order.

One of my favorite memories is Beluga(before the ban) with a 82 DomP…god it was good!!

Is the imported stuff good anymore??

Also cannot stand salmon eggs…blech.

I’m opposite from you— I usually save my ikura for dessert. [cheers.gif]

Likewise because the price went mad, it seems, since about ten years ago when I was grabbing a jar at Zabars every week. I got this cool non reactive spoon made of some endangered species or other sitting around doing nothing.

eggscellent

for american paddlefish

next day shipping is a flat costly fee but if you can order with friends not too bad

Petrossian is very good. Caviar Russe is my favorite. Neither are cheap.

An easy solution, if you are in a swanky neighborhood of L.A.

Trader Joe’s just now has 1oz tins of American Paddlefish. Anyone care to speculate if this is worth trying? Or… back away from the cooler [shock.gif]

Cuanto lo cuesta?!?

Good question… which I can answer now, since I just bought 1 oz for $20. Package doesn’t say much: American Paddlefish/Wild/Product of USA. Eggs are dark brown/black and what I’d call medium size.

At that price you can hardly go wrong.

And at that price, I want some…

That’s certainly cheap. I’ve seen there in years past, but never tried it. Hope it’s better than the crabmeat they carry.
I typically get mine at the local culinary supply, Surfas. The domestic paddlefish is not as good as the Caspian stuff, but for the price is quite serviceable. Not a fan of the salmon variety.

Btw, our Costco now carries it as well. Anyone tried that???

I was eyeing the Costco stuff (more expensive, like $55-$65 IIRC? and I didn’t take a close look at it).

The TJ’s Caviar I’d describe as salty and slightly fishy, and having a mushy texture. We ended up putting it on toast points with some crème fraîche and fresh snipped chives, to help hide the texture.

Any recommendation (Suzanne and others) or comments on:

Siberian Baerii
Amur Schrenckii
American Transmontanus

All similarly priced at Russ and Daughters.