Carlisle Release Letter Live on Website

Sc Zin is insane value. Buy it.

Order in!

Allocations protected for some period of time?

Nevermind- i [thumbs-up.gif] was able to read the fine print!

no not protected and order in which orders are placed factors into wishlist

It is a screamer, but the Piner-Olivet is special too. I like the focus on the terroir of just those 3 vineyards while still getting a great value price. For that matter I absolutely love the Dry Creek too. [suicide.gif]

My 15th year with Carlisle. Best of the Best for customer care and delicious, affordable wine!

Don… agree completely. I’m in year 16. It just keeps getting better.

For historical posterity, and personal ease of access later, here’s some of the info from the email and the release notes:

From the Carlisle email:

“…We are delighted to announce our 2019 Winter Pre-Release, offering the first of our delicious 2017s. Yes, delicious and, fortunately, completely smoke-taint free as we picked no fruit in Sonoma or Napa after the devastating fires began on October 9th…”

From the Release Notes:

"…But the question many of you (okay, maybe just some of you) are probably asking is: How did 2018 turn out? Two words – quality and quantity. Yes, it was a copious vintage, but not unreasonably so. We had projected crushing 162 tons but ended up doing 172, just 4 tons shy of our record. Fortunately, it was not a compressed harvest. As a result, tank space was never an issue and the wines could be made exactly as we wanted…Although it’s still quite early, it’s clear that 2018 is at least a very strong vintage, producing wines with intense concentration, wonderful aromatics, and modest alcohol levels.

“…Our 2017s possess relatively modest alcohols, perfectly balanced with fruit and acidity, and suave, polished tannins. In short, they are delectable, mouthwatering wines that will provide immense pleasure and enjoyment for years to come. But wait, surely there must be a catch. Yes, unfortunately there is. Due to our rigorous and stringent sorting, and the fact that we picked no more fruit after the fires to avoid smoke taint, we have much less of some wines than usual. I’m hoping that you, like I, prefer quality over quantity…”

2019 Carlisle Spring Release:

• 2017 Sonoma Mountain “Steiner Vineyard” Grüner Veltliner

• 2017 Napa Valley “Palisades Vineyard” Petite Sirah

• 2017 Russian River Valley “Papa’s Block” Syrah

• 2017 Santa Lucia Highlands “Sierra Mar Vineyard” Syrah

• 2017 Sonoma County Syrah

• 2016 Sonoma Valley “Compagni Portis” White Wine

• 2017 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel

• 2017 Russian River Valley “Limerick Lane Vineyard” Zinfandel

• 2017 Russian River Valley “Mancini Ranch” Zinfandel

• 2017 Russian River Valley “Montafi Ranch” Zinfandel

• 2017 Russian River Valley “Piner-Olivet Ranches” Zinfandel (“Carlisle”, “Papera”, & “Montafi” fruit)

• 2017 Sonoma County Zinfandel

• 2017 Sonoma Valley “Pagani Ranch” Zinfandel

You can’t go wrong with either. If you want to stay RRV, then Piner. For a little more value, then SC.

i had forgot about Mancini in this order. For sure in for a few of those. The previous release of it is excellent.

As always, bought way too much.

Although I have storage issues I am in for a case!

In for Papas, Montafi, dry creek, Piner, SC and LL. Very happy to be allocated a single Limerick Lane after failed wishlisting for 3 years.

This is my first post on this forum after lurking for several years. Appropriately, it is in conjunction with a release by Carlisle, probably my favorite find (among many good ones) from this site. In for some Pagani, Montafi, Papa’s, Sierra Mar, the Sonoma County bottlings and a Compagni Portis.

Keith, that’s awesome & great selections…but by simply posting, you do realize you must now fully embrace the WB madness – right??? :slight_smile:

I’m fully aware. I guess it’s a risk I’ll have to take!!

[cheers.gif] [berserker.gif]

Let the man in and pour him a drink! [berserker.gif]

Can anyone offer some guidance as to how Carlisle’s “house style” differs from, days Ridge or Bedrock?

Have been a loyal buyer of both for a few years now but have never tried Carlisle. Wife loves Syrah, but not a huge fan of most Zins. I am a fan of it all, but she has veto power!

Thanks for stepping out from the shadows, Keith! Good luck with refraining from further posts. neener

I was seriously considering buying a bottle of the Carlisle 2017 “Pagani Ranch” Zin. This vintage ought to be incredibly unique, as Mr Officer didn’t include Alicante Bouschet in the blend. To my understanding, Ali Bou is an important part of this vineyard’s identity.

The TN in the release notes sounds less like a typical “Pagani” wine and more akin to something like the “Mancini Vineyard”:

“…Medium ruby-garnet. Very pretty aromas of red cherries, pomegranate, and earth. A slight suggestion of blood orange as well. On the palate, without the Alicante component, more red-fruited and elegant than is typical of our ‘lumberjack in a tuxedo’. Texturally, quite silky but typical Sonoma Valley tannins do emerge in the finish. In fact, were it not for these tannins, I might be fooled into thinking this was from the Russian River Valley!..”

Anyway, here’s what I ordered:

• 1 x “Sonoma County” Syrah (my first Carlisle Syrah!)
• 2 x “Sonoma County” Zin
• 1 x “Compagni Portis” White

I can probably only afford a case due to budget and space issues.
(plus Berserkerday)