Carignan Renaissance, Part Deux

Ukiah Daily Journal
“Ukiah Declines to Support Ag Protection for Lovers Lane Vineyards”
by Justine Frederiksen
March 10, 2018[/quote]

This article really got me thinking about the importance of Mendocino County with respect to Carignan. Harrington produces a “Lover’s Lane Vineyard” Carignan. I wonder how important Carignan is to Mendocino’s identity.

What are the most prominent Carignan-based wines in California?

Lioco’sSativa” and “Indica”, I’d wager. According to the search results from Wine-Searcher.com, the first wine to appear for “Carignan USA” or “Mendocino Carignan” is LiocoSativa”.

Who is the biggest producer of the variety in America?

I am willing to bet the prize for cases-produced/sold of Carignan goes to Cline Cellars, as that company owns a lot of old-vine property in Contra Costa County. Lioco purchases its fruit from various Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Carignan growers across the North Coast.

Wine-Searcher’s “Market Data” “Availability Over Time” and “Search Rank Over Time” results for Lioco’s Mendocino Carignan are high. The site also states of the “Sativa” Mendocino County Carignan:

“This is one of the most popular wines from the region. This wine has been becoming increasingly popular over the past year.”

What about CellarTracker? Even IF CT users recorded more bottles of Carignan from Mendo than any other region of California, would it provide the final word? I maintain that the cultural awareness of the grape variety trumps the number of bottles sold, though a correlation probably does exist. Is there a definitive report of the most well-known Californian Carignan wines? I dunno. I believe that the search results from Wine-Searcher are consumer interest-driven, but I have zero evidence to support that.

The downloadable “2017 USDA of CA/National Agricultural Statistics Service” survey states that California had 2,401 bearing acres of Carignan; Mendocino County had 353 bearing acres reported. Oddly, the same document states that there were only 83 bearing acres of Carignan for District 6 (CoCo, Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, Alameda, San Francisco, & San Mateo).

While Mendocino doesn’t have the greatest acreage of the variety in the state, I do believe that more American bottles of Carignan bear the Mendocino appellation than all others.

Thanks for this post, Drew. I’ll be visiting Los Pilares and some other San Diego County wineries next month.

One thing I have to say regarding the responses from Carignan producers (generally speaking) is how polite and swift the messages have been. So far, most have been smaller wine operations.

The same can be said of the respondents of Mourvèdre-themed emails, too!

I am astounded by the energy behind the scenes of San Diego winemaking these days. It gives a person hope. :slight_smile:

I received an email from Mr Rory Williams of
Calder Wine Company. Here are his answers to my Carignan questions…

• What special factors in geology, climate, etc, do you find help make Carignan a viable grape for the Ukiah and Redwood Valley areas of Mendocino County, respectively?

RW: “Regarding geology, it’s hard for me to say. The Rovera vineyard is in a benchland loam flecked with quartz, Cemetery is in a gravel bar, and Evangelho (in CoCo) is in its characteristic sand. All make great Carignane; I’d say a unifying feature is a lack of excessive fertility and good drainage, features essential to helping control Carignane’s natural vigor. There may be something about the dry, high diurnal-shift nature of Mendo’s growing-season climate that helps Carignane there not be quite so susceptible to powdery mildew.”
Rovera CN.jpg
• Do you believe that old-vine Carignan is necessary for the production of top-quality fruit, or can younger vines also yield superior wines?

RW: “Especially as a young vine, Carignane is a vigorous grower and a heavy bearer; my suspicion is that these qualities helped it rise to prominence–and later infamy–in the 20th century. Older vines tend toward lesser vigor and balanced production, which helps balance and intensify flavors. In my experience, younger vines can function very well as blenders with Zin and Petite; however, I do think that older vines are a necessary, if not sufficient, prerequisite for making a distinctive varietal Carignane.”

Calder Wine Company has worked with Carignan fruit from the Colombini Family’s “I-Road”, “Rovera” and “Cemetery” Vineyards. Have you had experience with other Carignan vineyards? If so, which ones, and why have you chosen the Colombini Vineyards in particular?
Cemetery CN.jpg
RW: "I was introduced to the Colombini family through winemaker Shawn Johnson in 2012, when I started taking fruit from Rovera. One of my favorite parts of this business is working with great people as well as great vineyards; the Colombinis are excellent people and farm two great old-vine sites. Rovera always seems to have much smaller berries and smaller cluster sizes, even compared with other similarly-aged vineyards in that area of Redwood Valley. It always has plenty of dark fruit and lots of Carignane’s distinctive blood-and-iron savoriness. Cemetery crops even less than Rovera, but tastes completely different, all bright fruit and lift.

“I also started working with a bit of Evangelho fruit in 2016 thanks to a call from Morgan–I think folks on the WB board have probably heard of him. Can’t say no to Evangelho.”

• Why do you think Carignan commonly proves to be more challenging to farm and produce than other Rhône-style varieties?

RW: "Viticulturally: high vigor, heavy yields, and an unbelievable susceptibility to powdery mildew. Growers in Napa joke: ‘Why pay for fancy spore traps and mildew monitoring? Just plant a Carignane vine at the end of your row, like those stupid roses. If and when it gets mildew, spray, and your Cab will be fine.’

“On the production side, Carignane’s naturally high levels of tannin and acid can make it veer off into austerity and rusticity if one picks too early (and homogeneity if one picks too late). Carignane is the one variety I work with where I will delay a pick to allow acid to come down (rather than trying to preserve as much natural acidity as possible).”

• Have you noticed any special qualities of Mendocino Carignan compared with Carignan from other areas?

RW: “Darker fruit, blood, iron, more weight, more tannin in Mendocino; softer fruit, more friendly texture, perfume, floral, bright aromatic focus in CoCo. Both areas find their own paths to interesting, intense flavors.”
Evangelho CN.jpg
• What special considerations have you discovered in producing a Carignan-dominant wine?

RW: “As with all wines, proper extraction is key. Too much, and Carignane becomes overly tannic and rustic; too little, and it has no edge.”

• What thoughts do you have regarding the recent increase in the public’s general awareness of Carignan’s potential to create delicious varietal wines?

RW: “I’m a fan of the increased attention, though I’m a bit biased. I’m especially excited about its being a vehicle for the public’s increased awareness of wonderful viticultural areas like interior Mendocino, which have languished unfairly for too long.”

Calder Wine Company website

Calder Wine Company Store: “2015 Mendocino County Carignane” details

I am obviously excited that Mr Williams has provided very thoughtful answers to the questions. The management of Carignan’s reputed “roughness”, the geographic/geologic effects on the final product, and Calder’s upcoming release of an “Evangelho Vineyard” Carignan from Contra Costa County were greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Another home run! :slight_smile:

Ms. Amy “MF’ing” Butler of Ranchero Cellars has sent a reply to my email questions:

• What special factors in geology, climate, etc, do you find help make Carignan a viable grape for the Redwood Valley area of Mendocino County? What about the Templeton Gap?

AB: "People always assume Mendocino County is cool, but it’s NOT, at least that spot Northeast of Ukiah that is the Redwood Valley. Carignan unarguably likes it hot. Frankly, I was attracted more to the age and grandeur of these vines than to the specific geography. The dirt there is pretty ho-hum.

“My Templeton Gap site is the same one off of which I’ve taken Grenache, Syrah, Counoise, and Grenache Blanc. A friend put in this block specifically on my request and guess what? I think it’s too cool. It ripens in hot years but there have been a couple of years since 2012 or so that it’s only made it to ripe enough for Rosé. Beautiful Rosé, but still.”

• Do you believe that old-vine Carignan is necessary for the production of top-quality fruit, or can younger vines also yield superior wines?

AB: “Old vines are always awesome; they develop their own personalities like recalcitrant old men. But with careful farming, you can make some interesting wines from young plants. You just have to stress them and severely limit the crop.”

Ranchero Cellars has worked with Carignan fruit from the “Colombini Vineyard” as well as the “Self Ranch”. Have you had experience with other Carignan vineyards? If so, which ones, and why have you chosen the “Colombini Vineyard” and “Self Ranch” in particular?

AB: “Those are the only ones that I have bottled wine from. See above my comment about the Self Ranch, the Templeton Gap site. In ‘16 I took some dry farmed Carignan from the Forchini Vineyard in Dry Creek Valley, which has, to me, a more exciting geology. The vines are only about 40-years-old (only) and the expression is less gamey than the wine from Redwood Valley. The results are still TBD though!!”

• Why do you think Carignan commonly proves to be more challenging to farm and produce than other Rhône-style varieties?

AB: “It’s not. It just has a bad reputation in southern France for cropping too much. But hello! Grenache!!”

• Have you noticed any special qualities of Mendocino Carignan compared with Carignan from other areas? What about the Templeton Gap?

AB: “It’s more concentrated in the Mendo vineyard, but that might have a lot to do with vine age too. The Templeton Gap fruit has a brighter, more ‘red’ fruit character, while the Mendo is more plummy.”

• What special considerations have you discovered in producing a Carignan-dominant wine?

AB: “Trying to convert people…”

• What thoughts do you have regarding the recent increase in the public’s general awareness of Carignan’s potential to create delicious varietal wines?

AB: “I’m glad of it! There are certain venues where I find myself no longer having to explain what Carignan is: ‘What’s in it? Is it a Cab? How did you come up with the name?’ Etc. A lot of people say, ‘But isn’t that a blending grape?’ Yes. So is Cab. Merlot. Syrah. Grenache. Frappato. You name it. Anything but Pinot Noir.”

Ranchero Cellars homepage

Ranchero Cellars “Shop” page: “2013 Carignan

The Winemakers Series website
“The Winemakers of Paso Robles: Amy Butler”
by Julia Perez
January 21, 2018

The “Poor Ranch” in the Hopland area of Mendocino County is ridiculously old, a hidden keystone in the winegrape growing history of the area. What distinguishes the “Poor Ranch” from other old-vine sites is the continuity of ownership under the same family for such a long period time.

Mendocino County Winegrape and Wine Commission website
“Poor Family Vineyards: Some Things Never Change”
by Heidi Cusick Dickerson

"…In the 1880s, John Sr.’s grandfather John Samuel Poor. was a glass cutter in Springfield, Massachusetts, when he decided to head west. ‘Grandfather brought his wife, three year old son (John Robert Sr.’s father George) and a daughter to homestead the 160 acres above the Sanel Valley. He planted 30 different grape varietals including ten acres of Zinfandel. Over the years he and then George added almond, fig, olive and chestnut trees as well as the caper bush.’

"…Grapes are planted from 1500 to 2000 feet elevation on southwest facing steep slopes and ridges. Most of the grapes were replanted in the 1930s and ‘40s when John Robert Sr. was in high school. His dad George grew over 30 varietals in the beginning but the family has now narrowed it down to Carignane, Zinfandel, Grenache and Syrah with Petite Sirah on a plot within the Hopland Reservation.

“The largest block of grapes is nine acres and the smallest is one acre. They dot the ridges and are three miles apart ‘as the crow flies.’ Dry farmed with no chemicals ‘we were certified organic in one year,’ says John Jr. Their grapes go to Fetzer Vineyards*. The Poors work with Ann Thrupp and Bob Blue from Fetzer and Bonterra…”

• I do not know if the Poor Ranch still supplies fruit for Fetzer/Bonterra, but it is clear that more wineries are getting grapes from the site.
    download.jpeg
    In recent vintages, the number of producers sourcing fruit from the vineyard AND putting the vineyard’s name on their wines has increased. In a prior post, I listed some of the Carignan wines from the Poor Ranch.
    11-300x225.jpg
    Two histories of the Poor Family and its stewardship of the vineyard over the years were given to me by the Rivens of The Princess and The Peasant, and are too large to post here. I can share them via email if you want to read either piece.

Here is a short video of a vineyard worker strutting her stuff, picking at something just shy of light-speed:

Here are some great, boots-on-the-ground thoughts on Mendocino County Carignan expressed by Mr Dan Riven of The Princess and The Peasant:

"The reason you don’t see much varietal Carignan around here is most of the farmers pulled it up a long, long time ago. It’s a good yielder, and as mentioned below it’s grown as a commodity, and disappears into industrial red blends, often blended with, or labelled as, Zinfandel. So, the profile of who’s growing it up here in Mendo, are very rural, rustic, old fashioned growers. The kind that, despite the years of GREAT financial incentive to sell, have chosen to keep the plots of land in the family; many, such as ‘Poor Ranch’, go back over a century. That says a lot about these folks, these vines are like family members. They’re diseased, they’re tired, they don’t yield much, and they’re a pain in the a** to farm. You could rip it out and plant Chardonnay on VSP, or sell to a large wine company, and the days of eating dust and breaking backs and driving a beat up unreliable truck are gone, overnight. But it’s unthinkable, their parents didn’t sell, and they won’t either. The vines mean more to them than the money does. But the pressure is getting greater and greater, as grape prices and demand continue to skyrocket. Carignan was, until very recently, not looked at as something that was fit to bottle by itself, too humble. And as such, the prices stayed low, while cab and chard continued to skyrocket. Only if the demand for Carignan would crystallize and the farmers had an option to sell small amounts to boutique wineries for more money, could the future for the grape in CA to be viable.

"Enter the likes of MTP, Mike Officer, Tegan, etc. It can’t be said enough how influential these guys are in saving these historical vineyards and varieties. The farmers I talk to and work with are so happy to sell to us instead of the big companies, not only because we can pay a bit more (‘Someone is actually paying you $20 for a bottle of Carignan???’), but because we actually care about their land. We’re out walking the fields with them, we stimulate them to, once again, get excited about their fruit. To take a fresh, open minded approach to grape farming and the meaning of balance and ripeness - until very recently, they would get paid only if the fruit would reach a certain minimum brix - usually 24-ish. We invite them to taste in our cellars, and, most importantly, we put their vineyard name on the bottle. It’s a pretty cool feeling to see these tough, hard men and women soften up when, for the very first time in like 100 years, their grapes are made into a vineyard designated bottling. All of this was unheard of when they were selling to the big companies. ‘Testa Vineyard’ is, along with ‘Eaglepoint Ranch’, the most acclaimed vineyard in the inland part of Mendo Co. Their prices are accordant to their level of prestige - if I were to buy from them, I’d have to sell for $50/bottle, something that I’m just not prepared to do. Don’t know if that’s why Idlewild is getting out, but the folks at ‘Testa’ are definitely re-setting the market for Carignan. And good for them!

"Some recommendations:

"AFWE style

Vinca Minor

Populis (close personal friends, I can get you in touch if you’d like, Shaunt loves to correspond perhaps as much as I do)

"Big, rustic, S. France style

Baxter (also a good friend and would be happy to talk to you)

Porter Creek

“Hope that helps…cheers!
Dan Rivin”

images.jpeg

Drew, thx for such an awesome thread! I had this one tonight:

• 2014 Sandlands Carignane - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (5/28/2018)
    Popped and poured, youthful ruby purple, deep. Floral aromas are filled with crunchy black & red fruits, ruby grapefruit zest, unlit cigar and other herbaceous complexities. Moderate-plus body, fairly substantial for the producer. On the palate, this shows uncomplicated flavors of bright, sappy fruits plus a subtle impression of minerals. Well-balanced, with moderate acidity and subtle, somewhat chalky tannins. Although outstanding (and yummy), this is still a bit too young…will be “Dy-no-mite!” in 2-3+ years.

Thank YOU for the tasting note, Alex!!!

I have been way too spooked to sample any of the Sandlands Carignan wines in my collection, whether from Mendocino, CoCo, or “California”.

Everything leads me to believe that I should wait - WB TN’s, CT notes… - especially since I Pobega’ed a bottle of the Sandlands 2013 “Mendocino” Carignan fresh from the delivery truck a couple of years ago. :neutral_face:

I’ve only had one other, the 2011 Sandlands Carignane, which floored me…note is on CT.

Just revisited and reconfirmed the second best Carignan I’ve ever had. Sorry, it’s not from California:

2011 Chateau Puech-Haut ‘Reboussier’ Saint-Drezery - the back label says ‘Carignan’ along with this French text, badly translated into English by me:

“de vieux carignans tortures et hirsutes nous reservant chacque annee l’elegance d’un vin que le nature a refuse a ce petit vignoble. Lorsqu’elle est genereuse, 1500 bouteilles sont extrait de cette vignoble centenaire.”

Of old Carignan, tortured and hairy, we reserve every year the elegance of a wine that nature refuses to this little vineyard. When she is generous, 1500 bottles are extracted from this 100 year old vineyard.

Eric Solomon is the importer of this magnificent property. Between tiny production, high price, obscurity and underrated Parker score (94), he never brought in this specific bottling. I had 15 bottles purchased in France, now 14.

Medium black color. The aromas feature black raspberries and iron, with touches of oregano and fennel. The palate is incredible. It has a dense, finely grainy texture that I’ve only had in the very few great Carignans I’ve tasted. It is salty, sandy, awash in black fruit flavor. In the mid palate the texture is swamped by the flavors as if a humongous but gentle wave came farther inland than you ever could have expected. It is accompanied by granite along with the iron and little hints of roses, as if a very great Nebbiolo said ‘excuse me, may I please come to play?’. But the power is unlike Nebbiolo or any varietals I know except Cabernet; maybe Syrah on its best day. This is very great wine. I am thinking of opening a bottle every year or two, depending on how things go. But this will probably take me well into dotage. This is unexplored territory, who knows how long this will last and improve? Who has experience with 20 - 30 year old great Carignan? Rated 98 tonight, up to two points of improvement possible.

Dan Kravitz

Well I’m jealous Dan. Sounds fantastic. Do they make that bottling every year or does that fruit end up in a blend in some vintages?

+1, sounds incredible Dan.

Thanks for spilling the beans, Dan!!

Have no fear, we have next to no chance of getting our hands on this treasure (Bad for the rest of us). Eric Solomon is the American importer for Chateau Puech-Haut but, shamefully, the varietal Carignan is not among the portfolio of available wines.

Chateau Puech-Haut website

To add to the mystique of this wine, it was featured in an article on a membership-only website that bears the name of a certain British wine expert*:

"LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON

"Ch Puech Haut, Reboussier 2011 Languedoc, St-Drézéry Old vines: 18 months’ oak ageing.

"It has a very sweet nose, marmalade, sweet spices, prunes, sultana and oaky notes. Voluminous and rich palate, the wine is classic and mature. Not the best wine I have tasted from this well-regarded French domaine. 15% abv, Drink 2014-2016, score: 14.5.

"Gauby, La Foun 2010 Côtes du Roussillon-Villages: Magnificent pre-phylloxera Carignan vines planted in 1890. A very unique single-vineyard wine from this brave domaine that is so respectful of the environment. Fermented in concrete tanks and aged in used oak.

"Very leathery and farmyard nose, intriguing and reductive. It is wild in conception, disordered but stimulating. A bit wild in style. Soft, meaty and energetic, with little extraction. 13.5% abv, Drink 2014-2020, score: 16.

"Clos du Gravillas, Lo Vièlh Carignan 2013 IGP Côtes de Brian 100% Carignan: Very old vines (100-years-old) planted in the Minervois on calcareous-clay rocky soils. Because the wine is produced solely from Carignan it cannot be labelled as DOP. Very limited yields, 22 hl/ha,
indigenous yeast and 12 months’ ageing in demi-muids. Production is limited to 2,800 bottles.

“Pure Carignan aromas displaying floral, peppery, fresh berries, touch of meatiness (paprika), ash and very well-placed oak underneath. Very expressive and classy. Elegantly tight on the palate, with an expressive and balancing acidity, chalky classic tannins. Very good wine and a superb example of the style and quality that old-vine Carignan is supposed to be. 13.5% abv, Drink 2016-2020, score: 17.5.”

I searched Google for the winemaker’s name, and he said this of the 2012 vintage in Langudoc:

“Mathieu Ciampi, the winemaker at Puech Haut, also comments that ‘the lack of concentration in certain tanks is compensated by an elegance and finesse.’”

As for what the ↑above↑ article writer thought the best Carignan traits in the line-up of wines from France and (predominantly) Spain…

From the Article:

"…In a broad perspective of the tasting I was happily surprised as the preconceived idea of Cariñena as a meaty, reductive and rustic wine was the exception rather than the rule. I found some very delicious and accessible Cariñenas where reduction was not a problem at all.

Freshness and balance are also common factors throughout the tasting; this is one of the main factors differentiating Cariñena from other grapes varieties such as Garnacha (Grenache). Although Cariñena is a late-ripening cultivar, the total acidity ranges from 5.5 g/l to 6.3 g/l, a world away from the comparable average of 4.5 g/l to 5.3 g/l for Garnacha. Curiously, I found greater acidity in the wines produced in Empordà than in the examples I tasted from southern France.”

The highest rated wines:

Dinastía Vivanco, ‘Parcelas de Mazuelo’ 2011 Rioja Mazuelo:

"Hand-harvested, cold maceration and selected through two sorting tables. Wild yeast and fermented in oak vats. Fermented in new French oak for 14 months. Lees stirring is practised during the first four months of ageing. No fining or filtering. Production limited to 1,500 bottles.

"Dark colour. The wine is very modern and has great ripeness. The nose has impact and intensity; it shows mint aromas, very ripe black fruit and touch of caramel. Rounded and concentrated palate but still easily drinkable. Charged with fruit, rounded tannins and integrated alcohol sensation. Technically immaculate, still a great future ahead. 14.5% abv, Drink 2018-2030, score: 17.

Edetària, ​Finca La Pedrissa ‘Vinyes Velles de Samsó’ 2012 Terra Alta, Cariñena:

"Single-vineyard wine coming from a very rocky and chalky soil. Aged for 12 months in French oak.

“The nose is clean and shows potential for evolution. Dynamic and changing, displaying violets, dark red fruits and savoury spices. Attractive aromas. The palate is fibrous, not broad, with a firm appealing acidity and elegantly restrained. It has a mineral expression with enough delicacy and length. Personally I think it is a very good example of what a Cariñena should be. Well done! 14% abv, Drink 2016-2025, score: 17.”

Clos du Gravillas, ‘Lo Vièlh’ Carignan 2013 IGP Côtes de Brian: ↑Note above↑

L’Infernal Combier-Fischer-Gerin, Aguilera ‘Viñas Viejas’ 2010 Priorat (100% Samsó):

"Village wine from Torroja. Century-old vines planted on brown slate. 18 months’ barrel ageing.

“Lots of impact on the nose. Very archetypal Priorat. Clean, spirit, sweet fruit, sweet spiciness and oak. The palate is juicy and superbly charged fruit showing smooth-grained tannins. Elegantly toasty on the back palate. Very good wine, well structured and deep. 14.5% abv, Drink 2016-2025, score: 17.”

Cedo Anguera, Anexe ‘Vinyes Velles’ 2014 Montsant (Samsó):

"Very recently created winery. The grapes are sourced from a 70-year-old vineyard but it is produced as a young, unoaked wine. Fermented in stainless steel, stabilised and straight to bottling.

“Very ripe black cherries and adequate combination of fruit and reductive aromas. The reduction brings tightness to the wine. Ripe and friendly tannins. Quite complex for a young wine. Moderate body but very pleasurable. Adequate acidity and alcohol balance. Great surprise at a more than reasonable price. Bargain wine and VGV. 14% abv, Drink 2016-2020, score: 17.”

Mas Igneus, Costers de Carignan 2013 Priorat (Cariñena):*

"First vintage of this top cuvée produced from old vines. Steep slopes and llicorella (slate) soils. It will only be produced in great vintages. It is the great opera prima of the promising Mireia Pujol-Busuqets.

“Slightly reduced but very intense on aromatics. Great creamy and ripe black-fruit expression, very good winemaking. Full and rich but still fresh, voluminous with clay-textured tannins. The alcohol is warm but still integrated. Very consistent wine that lets you see the precise winemaking. 14.5% abv, Drink 2016-2026, score: 17.5.”

\

• No Data on this NEW PRODUCT, the “Coster del Ermita/Coastal of the Hermitage” is listed on WineSearcher or the producer’s website, however. It is also 100% Carignan.

Mr Brian Ojalvo of West of Temperance emailed me his responses to my “Carignan Renaissance” questions. Here are some of his thoughts:

IMG_3589.jpg
• What special factors in geology, climate, etc, do you find help make Carignan a viable grape for the Hopland area of Mendocino County?

BO: "Hopland gets very hot. Poor Ranch Carignane is grown and harvested at an elevation of 2000 feet well off the valley floor. The diurnal shifts experienced are specific to the mountain region of Hopland and temps are almost certainly inverted.

"This clime is perfect for fruit that can get mature and still retain its natural acidity.

IMG_0655.JPG
“The vineyard sits adjacent to the Hopland Pomo Indian Reservation and has been since 1888. St. George rootstock on alluvial soils produce super low yielding Carignane. We average about 1.3 ton per acre off of our block called The Knoll which is dry farmed, head pruned and organically farmed since 1942.”[/i][/b]

• Do you believe that old-vine Carignan is
necessary for the production of top-quality fruit, or can younger vines also yield superior wines?

BO: “I have not worked with any young Carignane at all so I have no dogmas in this race. I can tell you though without hesitation that the old vine Carignane vineyards which I have made wine from have been nothing less than spectacular and it all starts with the fruit.”

WoT has worked with Carignan fruit from the “Poor Ranch Vineyard”. Have you had experience with other Carignan vineyards? If so, which ones, and why have you chosen the “Poor Ranch” in particular?

BO: "I have produced some Carignane from the Borra Vineyard in Lodi many years ago which was also some very old heritage vines.

"I have remained with the Poor Ranch Carignane due to many things but the main reason is simple. I really like the Poor Family. They are old guard and do not care about trends or the new hot shit ‘big city’ winery. These are true, honest, salt of the earth folk who have been there for over 100 years farming naturally, organically, stewards of the land. They have a great love and respect for their vines as well as for the heritage of farming it . Straight shooters and no B.S., whats not to like??

“It also helps that their fruit is perfectly suited for the region they are farming. Carignane and Mendocino/Hopland fit together like a hand in a well oiled glove, perfect in my opinion.”

IMG_0650.JPG

BO: "Carignane is a tedious grape to grow. Given its large, tight clusters and extremely long maturation cycle,its prone to powdery mildew and bunch rot.

“Carignane vines can carry a heavy crop load and tend to produce pretty pedestrian wines if not farmed correctly. Fortunately for us these 75 plus year old vines are farmed with a deft touch and they can also self regulate which in turn keeps yields ridiculously low. Our 2016 Poor Ranch Carignane is at once savory with a beautiful acid cut.”

_20180601_181454.JPG
• Have you noticed any special qualities of Mendocino Carignan compared with Carignan from other areas?

BO: “We get a very herbal, gamey, garrigue, savory-type of thing going in Mendocino Carignane that I have tasted in many of the great bottles that I have had from the Languedoc-Roussillon region. Not really heavy or clumsy but lithe and sleek.”

BO: "I am a big proponent in using whole cluster with about 50% of the Poor Ranch Carignane fruit when it arrives at the winery. The stems are electric green and taste fabulous! The clusters sit on the bottom of my fermenter while the rest of the destemmed fruit goes on top. This creates a semi-carbonic effect as the whole clusters slowly ferment under the weight of the other berries.

“The primary fermentation usually tops out after about 14-17 days. After that I like to keep things under wraps and extend the maceration for upwards of 60 days after primary is finished. Then off to the press and pumped into neutral french oak barrels where it remains unracked for 14-18 months until bottling.”

BO: “It is a small battered bunch of us who carry the torch for Carignane in California. This is usually not a wine made for the marketplace per se. It is a wine made BY winegeeks FOR winegeeks pure and simple. I’ve seen the eyes of some Somms at prestigious Michelin starred restaurants light up when I mention ‘the C-word’ to them! If it catches on so be it but I wouldn’t hold my breath!”
IMG_0654.JPG
West of Temperance website

West of Temperance Online Shop

Additional “Poor Ranch” photos sent by Mr Brian Ojalvo of West of Temperance:

Work on the “Poor Ranch” (from Mr Brian Ojalvo of West of Temperance:
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
_20180601_181531.JPG
_20180601_184924.JPG
Soils of the “Poor Ranch” (from Mr Brian Ojalvo of West of Temperance:

IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG

Yup, even MOREPoor Ranch” photos sent by Mr Brian Ojalvo of West of Temperance:

_20180601_184855.JPG
_20180601_184809.JPG

The original Carignan Renaissance movement began over 10-years-ago with a handful of French winemakers, led by Mr John Bojanowski of Clos du Gravillas. The name of this thread is a nod to the efforts of that community.

For those who question my adoption of the qualifier “…Part Deux”, it is in recognition of the passion and dedication exemplified by the predominently French group, which still exists. Their work almost exclusively has been limited to the South of France - gaining a special place in the annual tasting events and such of the region.

There are several interesting links and resources available on the Carignan Renaissance website. There’s even a Facebook page for them!

One possible effect the Carignan Renaissance and the wines of Mr Bojanowski have had is a turn-around in opinion from the variety’s biggest critic:

“Over the years I have come to appreciate that old vines can produce serious wines. And I have enjoyed many a Carignano del Sulcis from Sardinia. And in the Languedoc the rasping produce of over-produced Carignan has become much rarer, I’m delighted to say.”

No, I am not speaking of a certain Wine Berserkers forum member who refers to winemakers’ efforts to bottle drinkable Carignan wines as akin to “making a silk purse of a sow’s ear”.

The above statement was from Ms Jancis Robinson, the very same professional whose contributions to the [u]Oxford Companion to Wine[/u] include, year-after-year, disparaging comments on the entry for Carignan: “Its wine is high in everything – acidity, tannins, colour, bitterness – but finesse and charm.”

Here is fairly good article was written about the Carignan Renaissance movement:

DeLong Blog
“Carignan: Hipster Wine”
June 30, 2006

Les 5 du Vin blog

https://les5duvin.wordpress.com/?s=carignanisé&submit=Recherche

This “French-language” website includes an impressive number of entries dedicated to winery visits, wine tastings, and ruminations on the Carignan grape.

My cellphone automatically translates many foreign-language sites into English, which makes webpages like this one a lot easier to enjoy.

Interesting thread Drew. Thanks. I went back through CT and only found 3 notes from me on Carignane. This was the most recent:

• 2007 Carlisle Carignane Papera Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (8/23/2012)
    I didn’t know what to expect with this one as I’m not familiar with Carignane as the main variety. Right off the bat you get classic Carlisle aromas and flavours. Lots of fruit, more black and darker at first that turned to red fruits as it opened. I love the lighter body and the healthy dose of acidity in the wine. I would buy this every year. I see I paid 17 bucks - are you kidding me?!