Caribbean Resort Recommendation

Looking for advice on Caribbean resorts that might be excellent for a celebration of my wife’s major birthday in January. I spent a lot of time in the Islands in the 1970s and ‘80s, but I’m not sure that’s current enough.

Let ‘em rip and thanks in advance

I feel like Cap Jaluca is always the answer.

But more seriously what are you looking for? Pure beach relaxation? Beach bars and music? Good food? Nature/mountains? Nightlife? Quiet?

Yup.

I prefer AirBnBs, but for this trip I think we may lean towards a resort that can take care of us. Some beach days, but interesting environs are important (so, no Cancun-like areas and no intention of spending the entire vacation on the pool deck). In the olden days, I loved Great Exuma Bahamas (although all you could buy then was liquor and wicker), some smaller Jamaican resorts, Virgin Islands, Barbados, Puerto Rico and Aruba. I’d love to go back to Cuba, but it doesn’t seem easy these days

depending on the amount of time you plan to spend, you could go to goldeneye and the caves on jamaica. they are both island outpost properties (chris blackwell of island records fame). they also have strawberry hill way up in the mountains for something really unique.
at least take a look at the site and some reviews.
no need to just sit on the pool deck!

Are diving and/or snorkeling a requirement? Budget an issue ?

1 Like

Check out Pink Sands Resort in Harbour Island. Also, Ti Kaye is great in St Lucia.

Snorkeling would be a plus. Diving, no. I haven’t reached the place in my life where budgeting is not an issue

1 Like

Me neither, but I can’t wait to get there !!! Lol .

Did a Sandal resort years ago.

I would recommend

David,

While not the islands. Look at this. https://nayarabocasdeltoro.com We haven’t stayed here but stayed at one of their other resorts in Costa Rica - Phenomenal.

Many great resorts on Anguilla - Manlin could probably help there.

Of course always. Luxury British Virgin Island Resort | Rosewood Little Dix Bay or

https://www.jademountain.com or

https://www.fourseasons.com/nevis/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicsearch&utm_campaign=tor-nev-hre-mid-seo-na&utm_content=na-na&utm_term=na

Would also look at Mexico we absolutely loved this place. https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/mandarina?utm_source=GMBlisting&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=oomm-mandarina-gmb

We go here often. Playa Del Carmen Luxury 5-Star Hotel | Banyan Tree Mayakoba No snorkelling though.

Lots of options. Maybe we should grab a dinner and discuss. :slight_smile:

George

1 Like

Peter Island, BVI.

You will thank me, twice.

That’s a good call

We enjoy Aruba. You could stay at the Ritz Carlton, Hyatt,or try the Bucuti beach resort if you want something small.

1 Like

We love Aruba, 2 dozen plus visits. Guaranteed sunshine everyday as it is a desert island. The Hilton in Palm Beach is our favorite as it is in the middle of Palm Beach, the place to be. If you go, let me know as our favorite jeweler extends a family and friends discount.

1 Like

Cancun is by far the easiest for flights and there are a ton of great resorts within 90 minutes of the airport. And no, it’s not all “spring break” crowd…tons of high end stuff.

I’ve really enjoyed…

Hyatt Ziva Cancun. Excellent for families, but can be just as great for an adult couples trip too as they have a separate adults tower. Food is excellent, and among the best you’ll find at any all inclusive resort globally, and the facilities are top notch.

El Dorado Maroma. Adults only. Smaller feel with a lot of privacy. Not as many amenities, but the beach is stunning, pools are excellent and food is also very good. Staff is wonderful. Got married here 10 years ago and have visited the property four times.

Andaz Mayakoba. Not an all inclusive but feels like one in terms of amenities and offering. Restaurants are expensive, but offer excellent food. Restaurant on the beach is particularly memorable. Very high end audience (eg lots of upper east side-types). Incredible PGA caliber golf course (el camaleon) if that’s your thing.

Rosewood Mayakoba. If you want the ultimate privacy this is it. Not cheap, though. May be the most high end property in this part of Mexico. Highly personalized services available (private chef, etc.).

Secrets Akumal. All inclusive with excellent facilities including what may be the best spa I’ve ever been to in my life. Tennis courts, tons of pools, etc. beach is very good, but not as pristine as others above. Rooms are very large and well appointed. Food is good, but not as great as some of the others. Thats the one weak(er) spot for this beautiful resort.

3 Likes

BIL stayed there and raved about the place. Off the hook on all facets.

Said the boat comes to pick you up. Very cool

4 Likes

Yes, there’s a Lagoon that runs throughout Mayakoba separating the four resorts. There are electric boats that will pick you up from any of the resorts and take you various places (beach, golf, other resorts for dinner, etc.). Tons of wildlife to see from the water too. All beautiful.

2 Likes

Maybe we strong arm David to upgrade to the suite and we bunk up with the significant others!

1 Like

Off topic, but (nostalgia alert) I had enough Delta Sky Miles to fly alleged First to Hawaii RT. Mentioned it to my wife, oops locked in.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end.