Cappellano rupestris 2018 vs 2016

Has anyone tried both vintages and can tell me how these two vintages compare? I tried the 2016 for the first time(not decanting at all, drank it straight out of the bottle) last year and loved it but unfortunately, I can only locate a 2018(actually a 2017 and 2007 vintages as well), how does the 2018 compare with the 2016 vintage ? worth getting it ? thanks

I can’t help you with the comparison but can add a data point for the 2018. @Riccardo_Campinoti kindly brought one to an offline in December and it was quite accessible and charming with minimal air. It undoubtedly would improve with longer prep, but I’d be happy to drink it again even pop-and-pour. For what it’s worth I’ve found other 2018 Barolo to be similarly accessible, notably a B. Mascarello and a Conterno Francia.

I have found 2016 to more intense, complex and perhaps more elegant than the 2018. 2016 is a better vintage and priced as such. It is slightly lighter in body, more transparent - yet is a 15% alc labeled powerhouse. Bery balanced and lithe for 15%. It reminded me of the really great 2001, but the 2001 is 13.5% (more in my sweet spot). While I didn’t taste the 15% I certainly felt it the next morning.

The 2018 is very good. I have opened it in youth for those who like a more full bodied wine. The wine is accessible with air (I have double decanted in the AM), and shows some layered complexity; I have never PNP it. I opened one for a WB dinner where everyone (I think) really enjoyed it and were surprised how well it was drinking in youth - a high bar crowd! While 2018 is a maligned vintage in Barolo, I have found many wines drinking well in youth (although I just had a shut down Burlotto, so it is a giving vintage that I guess could still shut down). At this point I am going to cellar my remaining 2018s as I think it they will become more complex in time. That said, at half the price of 2016, less austere than 2017, and more interesting in youth than a Napa or a young Bordeaux - I may open one from time-to-time with a non geek (but for myself plan to cellar). I plan to check on a 2015 soon though, as its been a couple years since I last tried one, and I have found some vintages of Cappellano to have accelerated aging curves in youth.

thanks for the detailed reply, the only vintage I’ve ever had was a 2016 it was about $427 vs a 2018 at $274, so no exactly half the price of 2016 but still quite a bit lower. Out of curiosity since there is another bottle of wine that I am thinking of trying out(either 2018 or 2015 Stella di Campalto Brunello) have you or anyone here tried it ? How does it compare with the cappellano either the same vintage 2018 vs 2018 or 2015(Stella, heard a lot of good things about this vintage) vs the 2016 or 2018 cappellano, thanks.

Some consider 18 a poor vintage in Piedmont. It’s drinking ok now, so if you want to drink it soon, by all means, but it’s certainly nowhere near the powerhouse that 16 is.

1 Like

Where are you located? Thats too high for 2018. I paid a shy under $200 and that was too high too. Readily available for $175 these days. 2016 as well $300-50 (hence my half price comment). Plus tax and shipping pn those prices as well.

Shanghai, China

just found a 2014 vintage, how is that compared to the 2018 vintage ? These are very difficult to find

Haven’t had 2014 Cappellano, but it was a cold and rainy vintage in Barolo.

Some producers made somewhat lightweight yet balanced and sophisticated wines, but others have made wines that have seemed just underwhelming and pretty dilute. Don’t know how Cappellano tackled the challenges.

Curiously 2014 was a pretty great vintage in Barbaresco. A bit cool, but the wines I’ve tasted have not been lacking a bit in stuffing!

EDIT: Had to check CT just to make sure, and I had actually tasted 2014 Piè Rupestris after all! It was definitely a rather light expression, but still a pretty fresh and lovely effort. The only thing that felt a little out of place was the subtly vegetal suggestion of herby greenness amidst the fruit flavors. A great wine, but perhaps not the best vintage out there.

1 Like

2014 is a bit of a weird vintage IMHO. I think they had less grapes and had to use a lot more oak, and the 2014 has shown an accelerated aging curve. I have not had 2014 in a couple of years, but would imagine it more mature at this point showing more spicy complexity. And very different than the 2016, and also the 2018.

looks like I will have to get the 2018 vintage for now(a friend of mine suggested that we get 2018 Stella di campalto Brunello(I know, it’s a totally different wine, I have heard really good things about the 2015 vintage but will have to travel to Hong Kong to get it and I have never tasted anything from this producer before have been wondering how the 2015 might compared with the 2016 cappellano). I will make a decision in a couple of days, btw, this wine is for a dinner party coming up in a couple of weeks so it isn’t meant to be drunk asap not for cellaring.

Perhaps list all the options available to you on another thread, and folks can opine on what they think is showing best now. I did not mean to say 2014 is a bad option, it will likely show the most complexity today of the 3 you mentioned, being less fruit forward and more leather.

I had a bottle of the 2018 Rupestris about 6 months ago and really enjoyed it over two nights. I didn’t buy much 2018 as I went long on 2016 and was waiting for 2019, but the 2018 Rupestris has been my highlight.

It went in and out of being accessible vs tight & closed on the first night but was singing nicely on night 2:

Strongly perfumed in the mouth with lifted red rose petals, raspberry, red cherry, touch of spice. In the glass, it turns into intense rose petal elixir. With more air time, the tannins turn a little chewy. 96.

I had a bottle of the 2016 Rupestris in mid 2021:

A little porty start. But changed with air - turned high acid, cranberry and rose water, fine powdery tannins. Has a lot of potential. A bit disjointed and slightly concerned by hint of portiness and cherry ripe. 95+ with potential.

1 Like

I agree with you. Just had the 2018 a few nights ago and would echo what you said, except for me it never closed. I loved it. Would have never said it comes from a weak vintage.

I agree on the '18 Rupestris. I really do not like 2018 Barolo but it is one of the few very good wines I’ve tasted. Same with the '17 Rupestris and 2017s. Cappellano seems to be on a roll. I’ve heard stories of bottle variation even in recent vintages from people who drink a lot of these wines, which concerns me, although I have not personally experienced that yet.

I’ve only had the '16 back in mid 2021 as well, and found it to be very promising but quite tight, relative to how the '16s released in 2020 showed on release. I have not revisited it yet. I think in the big structured vintages, the fact Cappellano releases about a year later than others might make it harder to catch the wines when they’re really open.

I had the '14 back in 2020 and I would say it is a good '14, but it is not among the handful of '14s that are truly great ('14 being a very uneven vintage, but with a few great wines). I would probably drink them in the next 5 years or so and imagine that’s one of the better vintages of Rupestris to drink now.

1 Like