Can you just WING it in Napa for a Sat?

Wife and I thinking about driving up to Napa(2hr) sat and just wing it for lunch/dinner…maybe try to get into a couple wineries? I don’t want to plan shit…just go. Will stay the night at a hotel(will book that)…maybe lunch at Mustards(eat at counter)…maybe dinner at Rutherford Grill…wanted to pop in to Mondavi and try some I Block, but looks like they are doing some construction? I’m NOT paying $100+ per tasting…don’t really want to have an “experience”. Looks like the ol standard free tasting at Heitz is now $200! :-1:Just lookin to cruise around and have some fun/food/wine with the wife…just like the old days! Is it possible? Or just forget it, stay home, and drink some more OR Chardonnay and grower Champagne? :sunglasses:

I vote for winging it. talk to the hotel folks at check in, get some ideas. if you stay in downtown napa or st helena there is plenty to discover without bookings

2 Likes

This time of year you can definitely wing it. Might not be able to get in everywhere, but you’ll find something. Rutherford Grill shows 7:45 avail right now, but with crappy weather this weekend my guess is there will be some no shows. We almost never do tastings, but there’s other stuff to do. Turnbull has a pretty interesting photography exhibit right now, and Mumm usually does as well.

3 Likes

Mayacamus in downtown Napa is walk in friendly, and they pour some vintage stuff.

Call Vintner’s Collection and see if you can come sit at the counter! Great selection, small producer stuff.

Those two pretty much take up a several hours when my wife and I go!

We have also enjoyed walk in meals at TORC!

Hope you have fun!

1 Like

Go have lunch at Gott’s. Go sit on patio at Schramsberg.

5 Likes

Download the app Tock, best way to find last minute reservations for wineries. Have some decent standard tastings available for Saturday. Turnbull $65, Frog’s Leap $45, Heitz has a tasting for $75, Spring Mtn $85. Try to sit at the bar for Dinner at Charlie’s, favorite new spot in the valley and normally isn’t overrun by tourists.

3 Likes

Rutherford Grill has not been good the last couple times I’ve been. Definitely a vote for Mustards.

I think you can wing it but probably best to reach out to confirm availability just in case. Walk in tasting isn’t as prevalent as it was prior to covid.

4 Likes

I second using web or app Tock. Great/easy way to fill a Saturday.

2 Likes

Did this take the old Cindy’s space?

It did, their Fried Chicken & Spiny Lobster from Stephanie in Santa Barbara are phenomenal.

1 Like

Compline.

3 Likes

I’m a stranger to that.

My bad spelling.

Mayacamas.

Sorry for the vinous portmanteau!!

It is on the little plaza right next to the Archer Hotel.

2 Likes

if you’re prepared you can likely make same-day appointments as you go by calling around

1 Like

Mothers tacos in Napa. So good.

1 Like

Thanks…THAT is exactly what I want!

And right ext to Compline

You can taste Mondavi at Arch and Tower in downtown Napa. They have plenty of spots to “reserve” a tasting tomorrow, looks like they also have drop in and buy by the glass with some food in the late afternoon. Neat space, food was great when we went in October for a Schrader release party.

1 Like

Mayacamas/Compline combo in Downtown is hard to beat. It’s pricey, but the Maycamas library tasting is legit.

1 Like

We have space available before 2:30 on Saturday and accept walk-in’s on a space available basis. It is kick-off weekend for the Mustard Festival for the Atlas Peak wineries and art galleries so best to book on TOCK https://www.exploretock.com/jeanedwardscellars?tock_source=tock&tock_medium=search_nav

2 Likes