Can Sauvignon Blnac from New Zeland age for a decade?

Hi
I found this wine, Mount Riley Sauvignon Blnac 2014 from Marlborough (NZ).
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/mnt+riley+sauv+blanc+marlborough+new+zealand/2014
Can this wine be stored for 8 years, and be enjoyed now?
Thanks! [cheers.gif]

I still have some Cloudy Bay from the 2000’s back when they were bargains. For my taste they’ve improved for up to about 10-12 years, but I like old wine.

1 Like

Yes, NZ SB absolutely can, though I wouldn’t age all of them that long with confidence, and depending on your tastes you might actually prefer it on release.

For that specific wine, I can’t say. If it were being sold v. cheap, then I daresay I’d be tempted to try it.

Nice to know! Cloudy Bay is one of my favorites from down under. Will have to experiment with ageing.

Cloudy Bay…yes. Probably some other good ones can too. That 2014 Mount Riley is probably dead. With poor storage, like most distributor warehouses and retail shelves, even a Sauvignon Blanc that could age for that long would probably not be in good shape after this many years.

I wonder if the grapefruit bomb is still apparent after year 10?

My wife and I randomly found a 2016 Whitehaven while cleaning out our basement. Still perfectly drinkable.

The 2020 Cloudy Bay is so good. A big step forward in the seriousness of the wine, in my opinion. Much more saline, minerally, bracing, much less ripe grapefruit and all. It should be a great candidate to age.

Some ‘can,’ but do you really want to?
I wouldn’t have concerns about anything up to 5 years beyond the vintage unless it’s just total bulk wine trash.

There are certainly a few who would do perfectly fine up to 10 years. I don’t think I’ve had a NZ SB older than that.

Blnac sounds like a grape from Croatia

1 Like

I bought a 2007 Cloudy Bay a few months ago for $35 from Chap4. Seemed like an interesting gamble for not that much more than the current release price. I’ll be sure to post a TN when I open it.

1 Like

I have had several bottles of Cloudy Bay and Dog Point (standard cuvee) that have been aged for 8-10 years. They do “last” in that there’s a good chance that you will not be buying a bottle of vinegar if purchasing a 2014 from a good producer that has been cellared (I do not know anything about the quality of the OP’s listed wine). That being said, I do not think they get better after 3 years of bottle age unless you are buying the barrel fermented versions from the best producers (e.g. Cloudy Bay Te Koko, Dog Point Section 94). Those actually show their best at 6-8 years of age with the ability to stay at peak a little longer IMO, but then, it is a completely different experience (a good one, but different) than what most people look for in a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. In terms of the regular New Zealand SB style, I have never had one more than 5 years old that I thought was as good or better than a younger version. Even if they will last, does that make them better? I do not think so.

1 Like

Not sure I see the point but have to confess have not had one. Not a fan of young NZSB.

How do the ones you cite as showing at best 6-8 years out , which isn’t really very long, differ from the young wines ?

They have more texture and body with less of the typical boxwood aromas of NZ SB. More of a medium body wine with some creaminess to go with the citrus flavors and much less of the bony crispness you get with a good (IMO) young Sauvignon Blanc. It’s more of an attempt at a Bordeaux style white (without the Semillon), but it still has a rounded New Zealand fruit profile. Some of these wines go through malolactic fermentation, but I am not sure that is always the case. Good wines. Different style than for what NZ is known. Interesting and worth a try. Not a replacement for my favorite whites (though admittedly I drink more reds).

except that it has one too many vowels.

1 Like

How about the von Winning Trocken II Sauvignon Blanc?

Or is there not yet enough data on German Sauvignon Blanc as a category?

What is your baseline for comparison? I still recall the 1996 and if it’s a step up from that I will be buying cases of it today. If your baseline is the past few years then that’s still good news but a different story.

Put a little sugar on it and it tastes better. [snort.gif]

If I somehow ended up with one it would age for eternity

As a Kiwi who has exactly one bottle of NZ Sauv Blanc in the cellar (a gift), I feel “empowered” to answer.

Mt Riley is a solid mid range winery, nothing special but also nothing wrong with them either.

Because it is under screw cap, it will age perfectly well for an extended time, so yes they can easily age for 10 years. But age is not the issue here. As others have said, with bottle age NZ Sauv Blancs lose their vibrant fresh fruity character and become more mellow and less intense. They become quite a different wine; if you like the youthful character of NZ Sauv Blancs then you may find it bit uninteresting. But if you don’t like young NZ Sauv Blancs then you may find it interesting.

There are few barrel aged NZ Sauv Blancs that I have found do become more interesting with bottle age, but the Mt Riley is straight up tank raised Sauv Blanc so you should not have high expectations

If the price is low enough it my be a fun experiment

brodie