Can a wine be "slightly" corked?

The early part.

So, then, what you really need is a guide-palate so other people can tell you your perceptions!

“This wine seems fine, but it may, in fact, be corked. I will ask my guide-palate to actually render my impressions.” [rofl.gif]

There are levels of effect and perception.

ETS Labs says analytical sensitivity and accuracy only allow a minimum reportable quantity of 0.5 ng/L for TCA detection. So, is a wine with less than that still corked? For your definition, all wine is corked to some ‘extent.’ Reality sucks.

[cheers.gif]

That article only deals with the sensitivity issue. And there’s a wide range of thresholds. I know someone who was tested and found he could detect it as one sixth the average level.

The article doesn’t address TCA’s impact on other smells and tastes. Grapes differ in their chemical flavor constituents, and some may be more affected by TCA than others.

Examples from other contexts:

• When you light a match in a bathroom, the sulfur/matchstick smell doesn’t react with anything. It just makes it impossible to smell other aromas.

• Unperfumed detergents contain chemicals to suppress the inherent aromas of the cleaning agents that are masked in the perfumed versions.

Yes, happened to a bottle I brought to dinner actually. Asked the certified som to taste as well to be sure and she agreed. Just slightly corked. Ended up getting a replacement bottle from the retailer.

If you find the smell repugnant, I can see how it might seem binary. But that’s really an answer to the question, “Is it drinkable?” not the question of whether there are degrees of corkiness.

I guess it’s a bit like cilantro, which some people can’t tolerate in any amount. If you’re OK with cilantro, you are more content to speak in amounts.

Yes, good point. So that sounds like it might affect different wines differently. Anyone know which wines are more affected? Are different grapes more susceptible to being affected – or are different flavors affected regardless of grape? In other words, does it affect Cabernet more than Pinot? Red more than white? Earth flavors more than fruit?

I do think that a wine that does not present to me as TCA may still be affected. As someone else noted, sometimes a wine just tastes muted or otherwise off. That could be TCA at a level that does not clearly present itself as musty or cardboard. My sense is I am moderately sensitive – so I have had wines that I did not detect it, but others did, and the wine came across as something less than I am used to with previous tastes of it.

For me, once it’s corked, it’s corked. I don’t like the smell of TCA so any amount gets me.

Many people mistake a threshold detection curve for a binary data set.

Sure a wine can be “slightly” corked, meaning the level of TCA is quite low … it´s depending on your sensibility for TCA if you detect it or not, and of course on the concentration in the wine.
Sometimes the level is that low that I don´t smell or taste TCA but I know “something is not right” because I simply know the wine … and it´s “different”.
On the next day the TCA is clearly there.

On last Saturday I had a bottle of 1969 red Burgundy - opened at 4 pm, smelling and tasting old and tired but otherwise ok. I had positive hopes.
At half past 10 pm the wine has blossomed into a very fine mature Burgundy, very enjoyable, sweet on the palate and really complex and interesting, but with a tiny bitterness only detectable in the very last finish … I knew there was something wrong, but only for a few seconds over an hour I got the impression of very light TCA. Retasting at 1 am after midnight the last drops showed the TCA a bit more clearly …
but all enjoyed the wine including yours truly … it was just a tiny negativ hint … but once I´ve recognized it I couldn´t forget about it.

Sometimes I wish to be less sensitive … pileon

Seems like the clerk may need some actual training on wine. strawman

The old quantum/matter of degree debate will never be solved.

I am just going to go drink a product that is somewhere south of 15% poison and relax.

Trying to live in absolutes is so freaking silly.

And using cancer as an analogy to the extent of which a wine is corked is [rofl.gif] [head-bang.gif]

Some of your argument is fair. I should temper my position with the caveat that a wine is corked if the prevalence of TCA affects any perceptible aspect of the wine. For instance a true-clean bottle adjacent to a bottle with low level TCA. If you don’t know it’s corked, but can tell they’re not identical in taste and smell, is the bottle with TCA corked or not? The prevalence of TCA has affected the wine.

But just because you can’t identify the source of distortion, or even enjoy the distortion, doesn’t mean it isn’t distorted, and that’s a corked bottle of wine. It is untrue.

Oh give me a break. It was a simple hypothetical to show how irrational the thesis is. The idea of perception is reality is almost as laughable as an adult’s use of emojis. It’s not about absolutes as we have all had wines that were more corked than others. But any perceptible level of distortion caused by TCA is a corked wine and it won’t stop being a corked wine. The concept is no different than “is it a crime.” There is a statute that says something is a crime. There are bad crimes and lesser crimes and things we don’t personally perceive as crimes, but they’re crimes nonetheless.

Speaking of absolutes, if you perceive that a wine is “slightly” corked, do you sit tight and drink it, or do you pour it down the drain, take it back, or open something else? Or do you save those reactions only for the “very” corked wines?

We have reached an accord, mon ami! champagne.gif

I think I have the emoji’s in the proper order…

[highfive.gif] [friends.gif][drinks.gif] [drinkers.gif]

There are plenty of electronic and chemical tests to determine the presence of TCA. Here’s just one example of many such:

http://www.gerstel.com/en/GSW11-TCA-in-Wine.htm

The point is that as John said - there is not only the absolute measure of TCA, but also the other compounds and things that affect one’s perception. And when you look at the numbers, the various methods - gas chromatography, etc., detect TCA at higher or lower amounts. Humans can smell it down to very small quantities.

ETS laboratories in St. Helena explains it:
Haloanisoles are ranked among the most powerful odor compounds, with odor thresholds in the low part per-trillion range. All haloanisoles have similar odors, but their sensory impacts in wine vary with the specific compound and wine characteristics.

Reported TCA thresholds in wine are typically in the range of 2 ng/L for detecting a noticeable difference and 6 ng/L for true recognition. TCA levels below the 2 ng/L difference threshold can still impact a wine, usually described as “muted” aromas and flavors.

TBA is virtually as powerful as TCA, while TeCA is approximately three times less potent. PCA is unlikely to reach its odor threshold of 4,000 ng/L in wine, but is still a useful indicator of origins of contamination.

[/i]

So clearly something can be “slightly” corked and not only that, it can be corked so slightly that it can’t be detected by humans.

I already said my piece on this. I don’t enjoy corked wine, even slightly corked, but if other’s want to drink it I won’t stop them.

I guess if you get a mild cold, you still lie in bed for 3 days even if you only feel a little off? Makes sense. Just like when the TV is on, we only turn it to the one volume setting, even though for some it may be too loud and others too quiet. After all the TV volume is ON so everyone should perceive it as such just fine.

I agree. From my experience, wines at or near threshold show reduced desirable traits. Fruit is particularly decreased if a wine is partially corked. Those who can’t perceive the corked can still perceive the less fruit.

With a mild cold there is a still an absolute: I have a cold. There is a virus in my body that is affecting me, whether a lot or a little, it is still affecting me from my norm. What you’re addressing in your hypothetical set is a series of responses to a perception. I would not begin to instruct folks on how to respond to a corked wine if they couldn’t perceive it or didn’t think it was bad. I know plenty of people who think wine is better on day 3-5, though I think it is noticeably worse on almost every occasion. If you like oxidized wine, drink up.

TCA is measurable, and if there is any TCA in amounts capable of affecting any perception of the wine, like taste and smell, the wine is corked. Some might be more corked than others, but corked is corked. You can drink it, you can ignore it, you can enjoy it, but the wine is untrue. It is changed. Most likely, it is not what was intended. It is not what it would be if TCA was not present. You may not be able to tell, but it is not identical to an uncorked bottle.

I think the more apt hypothetical is this: The TV in my house is on, but the cable box is off. The TV emits a frequency I can hear, letting me know it’s on. My mother cannot hear the frequency. Is the TV on? Is the TV “slightly” on? There is an absolute measurable that is perceptible to some that is affirmatively altering perceptions about the TV. My mom can bear the fact that it is on because she can’t hear the frequency. It bothers me. I won’t tell her she has to turn off the TV, but when I’m there, I turn off the TV. The frequency may change so she can hear it and be bothered too, but the TV remains on at either frequency.

edited to address typo

I disagree that your TV hypothetical is more apt. In your example no one can consume the TV content even should they want or choose to.

The TV Volume analogy is far more apt, IMO. Low volumes some can hear, some with less sensitive hearing cannot. Is the TV on? Yes. Can the TV content be consumed? Yes. Will some be able to enjoy the television at that volume, though you may not? Yes.

The world ain’t black and white John. Stop living in absolutes.