Can a wine be "slightly" corked?

This is interesting. Are there wines or grapes that are particularly susceptible to TCA? I had not realized that it might affect some wines or grapes more than others.

I think thatā€™s the crux of the argument. Some of us canā€™t tolerate drinking a wine where we detect the slightest amount, which others can perceive it up to a certain level and still enjoy a wine. I see that at sit down tastings all the time. Add in our great range of individual sensitivity and how with time the corkiness will push through more and more peoplesā€™ thresholds, the term ā€œslightly corkedā€ seems most apt. Itā€™s a figurative term with a clear meaning. (If someone gets anal about it, ask them to justify to term ā€œcorkedā€.)

Imagine a glass of wine has 1 oz of poison that causes 50% of humans die if they consume it and the other 50% experience different degrees of illness.
I think weā€™d say the wine is poisoned not slightly poisoned.

Imagine another glass has only Ā½ oz of the same poison and only 25% die with the rest getting ill.
Again, I think the wine is poisoned.

haha! well, we donā€™t have to imagine totally insane analogies, because we know what this is and how it affects people. and that there is a level that cannot be perceived by anyone. see this for a good example:

https://www.etslabs.com/library/22

there are wines youā€™ve had that have been ā€œcorkedā€ but that didnā€™t register as corked to you, but may to someone else. thatā€™s not the same as poison, thatā€™s like a funky steak or an ammoniated cheese. so, we can get philosophical here if we like; a wine can contain these chemicals, but so low that no one could perceive them - are they still ā€œcorked?ā€

sola dosis facit venenum

Thanks for the article. That is very useful. If I read it correctly it affects all wines in a similar fashion ā€“ but different people may have different levels of sensitivity. That is certainly consistent with my experience. But I am curious about Johnā€™s observation above that suggests it might affect different wines differently (presumably holding constant for the sensitivity of individual tasters). Does anyone have more information on that dynamic?

Laube killed Pillar Rock and BV and was right according to lab results on both occasions. Hereā€™s the BV one where Laube said all the BV samples were highly corkedā€¦BV contestsā€¦Lab proves Laube rightā€¦BV says ā€œwell, not highly corkedā€¦ā€

Hereā€™s Laubeā€™s take on Pillar Rock. Note most folks threshold is about 3 or 4 parts per trillion.

And Montelena

After battling Laube with a ā€œyou decideā€ road show campaign, I understand Montelena was forced to address lab results that did show that all of the samples Laube had tasted did have low levels of TCA which suggested a pervasive issue that Montelena then rectified.

So, ā€œcorkedā€ is a quantum term for you.

For me, there can be matters of degree.

Alcohol is a poison, yet wine is not.

given this sentence, i donā€™t think thatā€™s right:

all haloanisoles have similar odors, but their sensory impacts in wine vary with the specific compound and wine characteristics.

Imagine someone intentionally gave you a glass of wine with 1/2 oz of the poison above but you happened to be one of those few unaffected.
Wouldnā€™t you say they tried to poison you?

But hereā€™s my take. TCA affects the wine. If you cannot tell that it is TCA that affects the wine, okay, you canā€™t perceive it. But the wine is affected. You may have a different take away about the wine (itā€™s muted, good earth and leather, slight funk Iā€™m digging) but itā€™s not what the wine would be without the TCA. If the wine isnā€™t identical in both situations, then corked is corked. It can be badly corked or lightly corked or corked but you donā€™t know it because you canā€™t identify it, but corked is corked.

Imagine someone intentionally put sulfur, a poison, onto grapesā€¦is that person trying to poison you?

Are there degrees of ā€œsaltiness,ā€ etc?

Is it ā€˜corkedā€™ if it is beneath your threshold of perception?

Absolutely there are degrees

youā€™re espousing a philosophical POV now; Can something exist without being perceived by consciousness?

Yes for all of the reasons I stated above. If you open two bottles and they taste differently and you donā€™t know why, and itā€™s because one has TCA, itā€™s still corked just because you canā€™t discern WHY the two bottles taste differently.

There are three separate issues bring conflated as other posters have pointed out.

1. Presence or absence of TCA
  2. Concentration of TCA when present
  3. Tasterā€™s individual sensitivity to TCA

Since I am a wine drinker and not a chemist who analyses every bottle, I am only interested in #3. My experience has been that there is a very wide range of sensitivity to TCA in tasters.

I was in a tasting group where one guy had very high (extreme) sensitivity to TCA. In fact it got to be a bit of joke as he was always the first to declare a wine corked - so the group developed a TCA ranking scheme named in his honour. The ranking scheme went from one to five, his name is removed to protect the innocent.

1. Only he could detect TCA in a wine, no one else
  2. He detected TCA in a wine and after about 15 mins 1-2 tasters out of 12 would agree it ā€œmight be corkedā€
  3. Half to 3/4 of the the folks would agree with him that it was corked fairly quickly
  4. Clearly and obviously corked but 1 -2 tasters would persevere in insisting it was not corked (usually their bottle)
  5. So badly corked that everyone could smell it from across the room as soon as the bottle was opened

So, if you donā€™t taste a difference, can it still be ā€˜corked?ā€™

If you donā€™t know you have cancer until itā€™s stage 4, do you actually have cancer? Sounds like a dumb philosophical POV when applied to reality.

What part of that pregnancy was so little?

Yes. You just have a shitty palate because we deal in reality, not false perceptions. Or at least I try to.