California’s great old vine Zinfandel vineyards

I sell tools to Sanchietti Farms. Mel Sanchietti is a good old boy farmer. Everything I can see from the shop is modern trellised vines but they farm lots of different locations.

1 Like

Thanks Brian!!! [cheers.gif]

Do you know where the family’s 100-year-old Zinfandel planting is in the RRV?

I’ll ask.

1 Like

The following article provides a great overview of a handful of old Zinfandel vineyards in the Lodi area. Included are tasting notes of bottlings from each site.

Vinography
“Tasting California’s Ancient Vines: Lodi’s Heritage Vineyards”

by Alder Yarrow
June 22, 2021

"…Approximately 2,000 acres of Lodi vineyards consist of pre-Prohibition, own-rooted vines, some with vines that have been growing in these sandy soils for more than 140 years. Low-yielding and commercially tenuous, this vineyard acreage has been shrinking for years, as old vines are ripped out and replaced by more productive youngsters, or more frequently, by acres of tract homes and shopping centers.

“Lodi’s ancient vines, like many such vineyards around the world, are an endangered species that will only survive through a combination of proactive conservation and public advocacy by those who understand what they mean to the world of wine…”.

Vinography website:

Lodi Winegrape Commission Blog:
https://www.lodiwine.com/Blog

Lodi! The Definitive Guide and History of America’s Largest Winegrowing Region by Randy Caparoso, with Foreword by Mike Dunne, is available on the Kitchen Cinco Press website:
https://kitchencincopress.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

*** EDIT ***

The Record
“‘Save the Old’ Aims to Bring Awareness and Appreciation to Lodi’s Historic Vineyards”

by Bob Highfill
November 3, 2020

Lodi Growers
“[u]The Record’s[/u] ‘From the Vine’ Reporter Bob Highfill Now Hosts Podcasts”

by Bob Highfill
September 23, 2019

“From the Vine” Podcast:

Following Prohibition, Zinfandel grapes frequently were relegated to mediocre blends, fortified wines, and blush/Rosé bottlings.

This AVA petition contains many writings from the 1960s, 70s, and early 80s. These works reveal Shenandoah Valley’s role in reaquainting wine drinkers with Zin’s true potential.

TTB
“Petition to Establish Shenandoah Valley American Viticultural Area” (PDF download):
https://www.ttb.gov/images/pdfs/petition-establish-california-shenandoah-valley-american-vit-area.pdf

This file is 10 MB in size, but it includes copies of articles and book excerpts related to the grape-growing/winemaking culture and history of an important Zinfandel region.

First Section:

Gourmet Magazine
“Wine Journal”
by Gerald Asher (May, 1977)

New West Magazine
“California Wine Country”

Wine Store Catalog
“Amador County’s Shenandoah Valley Zinfandel”
by Ben Hattem

Daily News (NY)
“Nouveau Wines Can Be Rich and Rewarding”
by Barbara Ensrud (December 5, 1979)

California Arizona Farm Free Press (July 19, 1980)
“Old Vineyard Grow Quality Wine Grapes”
by Dan Bryant

“Wine Grapes in Amador County”
by Robert E Plaister (June, 1967)

USGS Map
“Fiddleton, CA” (Shenandoah Valley)
N 38.30 - W 120.45 / 7.5, 1945

Second Section:

Letter from Ken Deaver, President
Amador County Wine Grape Growers Association
July 8, 1981
25 enclosed articles, bottle labels, etc.

Additional Online Resources:
TTB website
https://www.ttb.gov/wine/american-viticultural-area-ava

· AVA Map Explorer

· Online Reading Room

Amador County Grape Growers’ Association website:
https://amadorwinegrapes.com

· “Our Region”

· “Member Directory”

USGS Science Base
National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC)
USGS US Topo 7.5-minute map for Fiddletown, CA 2018

from St Anne’s Crossing 2020 Futures email:

“Rowe Vineyard”

"Located in the northern end of Sonoma Valley, the historic ‘Rowe Vineyard’ was planted the days before and after the dreaded 1906 San Francisco earthquake. As was the tradition in the early 1900s, the interplanted vineyard features several different varietals. While Zinfandel dominates, there are occasional vines of Carignan, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Alicante Bouschet, and Muscat in the vineyard.

“The entire vineyard is harvested together, making this wine a true field blend. The old vines are sustainably dry farmed in well-draining soils, which prolongs the hang time and drives the roots deeper, which adds an astonishing concentration of flavors.”

• Soil Profile: Clay loam
  • Aspect: Southwestern
  • Elevation: 400 feet
  • Planted: 1906
  • Clone: Heritage
  • Rootstock: St. George
  • Trellis: Head Trained

St Anne’s Crossing website:
https://www.stannescrossing.com/

St Francis, Bedrock, & Carlisle have sourced fruit from this old-vine site in the past.

GuildSomm
“An Interview with Mike Officer: Old Vines, Zinfandel and California’s Viticultural Heritage”
April 27, 2011

"…Interviewer: ‘What old-vine vineyards do you currently work with?’

"Mike Officer: 'I feel very fortunate, even privileged, to be working with some of the finest old-vine vineyards in the state. In Dry Creek Valley, we work with Ray Teldeschi Ranch, planted c. 1885, and Rich Mounts Ranch, planted c. 1950. In the Russian River Valley, we have our own vineyard, Carlisle Vineyard, planted in 1927. Additionally, we lease and farm seven acres of Montafi Ranch, planted 1926, and Two Acres, a mostly Mourvèdre planting from 1910. Also in the Russian River Valley, we purchase fruit from Papera Ranch, planted 1934, Saitone Ranch, planted 1895, Dommen Ranch, planted in the 1930s, Fanucchi Wood Road Vineyard, planted c. 1906, and Martinelli Road Vineyard, planted c. 1880.

“‘In Sonoma Valley, we source fruit from Bedrock Vineyard, planted 1888, Monte Rosso Vineyard, planted 1886, Rossi Ranch, planted 1910, and Pagani Ranch, planted 1890. While it just misses the northern Sonoma Valley AVA boundary by 100 yards or so, we’ve also added Rowe Vineyard this year. Rowe was planted c. 1906…’.”

A handful of interesting photographs of pre-Prohibition vineyards can be found in this small publication from the CA Grape Protective Association.

Harvard University Library
How the Bone Dry Amendment Would Affect Me and My Neighbors

Address by Addie M. Billings
Issued by the California Grape Protective Association
San Francisco (1918)

https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:2574833$8i
Hillside Vineyard Near Calpella, Mendocino County

https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:2574833$15i
Hillside Vineyard in Glen Ellen, Sonoma County

I’m 12 years late in commenting on this.

Nevertheless…
The information below was gathered from Rhoda Stewart’s A Zinfandel Odyssey (2001).

More up-to-date information would be the actual Seghesio website and Crimson Wine Group’s trade materials. Planting dates and ownership status of several sites differ between what is published in Stewart’s book and the Seghesio webpage.

Seghesio’s 3 Main Estate Vineyards:

1) Home Ranch”, Alexander Valley:

• 8 acres planted in 1895 to Zinfandel on St George
  • 8 acres planted in 1905 to Zinfandel on St George

• 12 acres planted ~1960 to field selection on 101-14 & 420; located across Hwy 101 from “Home Ranch”

2) San Lorenzo”, Dry Creek Valley

• 7 acres planted in 1893; NE of Healdsburg

3) Frank’s Vyd”, Alexander Valley

• 11 acres planted in 1936 to Zinfandel; Cloverdale area

Other Seghesio Properties:

Cortina”/“Dry Creek, Dry Creek Valley:

• 50 acres planted ~1965 to Zinfandel in Dry Creek Valley

Rattlesnake Hill” & “Sisters”, Alexander Valley:

• 40 acres planted to Zinfandel & Sangiovese; on hill above “Home Ranch”

Additional fruit for “Old Vines” & “Sonoma” bottlings has been purchased from Forchini Vyd’s 7 acre old-vine block and other Sonoma County plantings.

“Vineyards Map” (PDF)

Seghesio Family Vineyards website:

“Our Story”: “Vineyards”

Looking to ID a few old vine blocks on Westside Road in Dry Creek Valley just north of Flowers, between Dakine and Toad Hollow. They are partially visible on google maps streetview. Any info out there??
Westside Rd Vineyard.jpg

What a great thread.

I’ve been really enjoying the Hubba Zins by Riley Hubbard from the Enz Vineyard. Really great stuff.

2 Likes

I know somewhere in this thread there was talk about the vineyards off Windsor Road in Windsor where the current Windsor HS is being old Zinfandel vineyards.

Sam Salmon, current mayor of Windsor mentioned in a town post that the High School and adjoining very large Vintana housing development were previously Rodney Strong Chalk Hill Vineyards. He doesn’t mention what specific grapes were grown on that site. I have read that many early Rodney Strong vineyards in Windsor were planted to Chardonnay.

Sam Salmon has been a Windsor resident and Historian for many years, next time I see him at a Windsor town affair I will ask him a whole bunch of questions about Vineyards in the area.

Drew Goin I hope this is helpful, more to follow.

Tom

1 Like

The location you have identified appears to be 3654 Westside Rd, Healdsburg - Google Maps location.

Then again, according to the Sonoma Permit website’s Parcel Search interactive map tool, it appears that the property mentioned above is associated with two addresses:

Sonoma Permit website
Zoning & Parcel Report
Parcel Number: 110-090-006

County of Sonoma
Assessor’s Office

Search Parcel Information:
https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/administrative-support-and-fiscal-services/clerk-recorder-assessor-registrar-of-voters/assessor/real-property/search-parcel-info#parcelquest

Sonoma County ARC GIS Interactive Map
https://gis-sonomacounty.hub.arcgis.com

ClustrMaps
Westside Road, Healdsburg, CA

City-Data
3333-5079 Westside Road, Healdsburg, CA

I wanted to share a Sonoma Veg Map online tool that reveals the exact locations of vineyard parcels in Sonoma County.

Sonoma County Vegetation Mapping & LIDAR Project Blog
“Countywide Lifeform and Cropland Datasets Available”
November 2, 2015

MAP: “Sonoma County Draft Lifeform Map”

Below are more publicly available crop map resources for Sonoma County.

Sonoma County Vegetation Mapping & LIDAR Project Blog
“1942 Imagery and Historic Photo Viewer Updated”
January 29, 2018

MAP: "Central Sonoma County - Then and Now:
70 years of land use/land cover change in Sonoma County (1942-2013)"

California Dept of Conservation
Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program
Sonoma County Important Farmland Data Availability

MAP: “CA Important Farmland Time Series Map”

“This map shows the land category as first mapped by the Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program. The year of first mapping will vary from area to area, but will fall between 1984 and 2006.”

I most likely have confused Randall Grahm’s test vineyards with those of Gallo and/or Mondavi. Apparently, its all muddled up in my head!

Timeless Wines Retail
“Uvaggio Barbera Lodi 2014”

"…Uvaggio Barbera Lodi is made from 100% Barbera - 50 years old.

“…This remnant vineyard [“Firefall Vyd”] is one of four ‘test blocks’ that was planted for Gallo many decades ago, to evalute Barbera many decades ago, to evalute Barbera in Lodi for a contribution in elevating the quality and style of their ‘Hearty Burgundy’.”

“…Some of [Jim Moore’s] other accomplishments included developing two vineyard trial blocks to evaluate the performance of Italian and Rhône varieties…Jim reintroduced Zinfandel to the portfolio (from Napa Valley’s miniscule old vine sources)…”.

Jim Moore worked at Robert Mondavi Winery, and later as Director of Winemaking for Bonny Doon Vineyard’s Ca’ del Solo brand.

Uvaggio website:

Comstock House History Blog:
“I See By the Papers”
“Sonoma County History explored through original sources”

Entries Tagged: “Prohibition”

“All Roads Always Lead to the Roadhouse”

I am not familiar with Santa Rosa’s historical grape-growers. Instead, I have opted to share map details of the area between Sonoma and Kenwood, CA.

Included in the first image are parcels owned by Phoebe Hearst, widow of George Hearst.

Library of Congress
"Official map of Sonoma County, California: Compiled from the Official Maps in the County Assessor’s Office, with Additions and Corrections to June 1st, 1900"

Created / Published by W.B. Walkup, San Francisco

William McPherson Hill owned much land in Sonoma County, including the area shown below. The Old Hill Vineyard occupies a part of what once belonged to the Hill family.

Stanford University Library
New Historical Atlas Of Sonoma County, California
Thos. H. Thompson & Co., Oakland, CA (1877)

“Historical Atlas Map Of Sonoma County, California. Compiled, Drawn and Published From Personal Examinations and actual Surveys By Thos. H. Thompson & Co. Oakland, Cala. 1877. Resolved, That having examined the proof-sheets of ‘Thompson’s Atlas Map’ of Sonoma County, we find the same to be correct and hereby adopt the same as the official map of the County, for township lines and road purposes … Thos. Hunter Pr. Phila. N. Friend, Engr. Smith, Del [cartographic material].”

Internet Archive
All Works by Thomas H. Thompson (1877)

Maps & Images of Sonoma County

Vineyard360

Glen Ellen Historical Society
“William McPherson Hill”

Sonoma Sun
“Just Wondering About… Early Days of the Sonoma Developmental Center”
by Linda Blum
July 25, 2013

Image: “The Hill property in 1888, which soon afterward was acquired by the State of California for what is now the Sonoma Developmental Center. The central area of the modern SDC occupies the vineyard. The road above the vineyard was the main route in 1888; Arnold Drive did not exist at that time. Courtesy Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley.”
WM Hill family Property in 1888

Kenwood Press
“Living Life Well: This Place, These People”

by by Jim Shere
February 1, 2022

“Living Life Well: Revisiting This Place & These People”
by by Jim Shere
March 1, 2022

Sonoma Mountain
Search Results: “Vineyard”

The following article details the history and chain of custody of the “Madrone Vineyard”:

Sonoma Sun
“Madrone Vineyard Estate: Version 2.0”

January 4, 2016

If you can identify locations of surviving ancient vineyards on the two Sonoma County maps, please share your findings!

NY Times
Diners Journal Blog
“A Visit to Old Hill Ranch”
by Eric Asimov
August 7, 2006

oldhill.jpg

Awhile back there was some discussion about the abandoned old vineyard on Oakwild Lane, near the Piner-Olivet Area in Sonoma County. Someone mentioned it once went by the name of “Krists.” Has anyone come across any more information about that vineyard? The Sonoma County parcel map has no information and I haven’t heard back from any of the few leads I had.

It probably would be helpful to provide sources to cross-reference info from the 1895 Napa County map.

Consider the map image above. One of California’s most famous 19th Century grape growers/producers was Mr Hiram W Crabb. His To-Kalon Vineyard, West of Oakville, still inspires thoughts of legendary wines.

According to the Historic Vineyard Society website, the McDonald/Horton Vineyard is located where Crabb’s estate once stood. Robert Mondavi produces top-tier white wines from vines on another section of the former Crabb estate. The “Oakville Farmhouse Vyd” is a 90-year-old planting of ~30 different varieties on land Crabb once owned.

Internet Archive
The Vineyards in Napa County

by E.C. Priber
CA Board of State Viticultural Commissioners (1893)

Internet Archive
Directory of the Grape Growers, Wine Makers and Distillers of California, and of the Principal Grape Growers and Wine Makers of the Eastern States

by CA Board of State Viticultural Commissioners
Published by Superintendent of State Printing, Sacramento (1893)

Hathi Trust
Soil Survey of the Napa Area, California

by E.J. Carpenter & Stanley W. Cosby
U.S. Govt. Print. Office, Washington D.C. (1938)

Robert Biale Vineyards Blog
“Like Early Pioneers, Robert Biale Continues to Preserve California’s Classic Varietal - Zinfandel!”

March, 2021

Zinfandel Trail
Featured Routes:
“Exploring Napa Valley’s Zin Underground”

Historic Vineyard Society website:
https://historicvineyardsociety.org

History of To-Kalon website:
http://historyofto-kalon.com

Hi Ryan, here are the thread posts I found about the Krists parcel.

Clyde asked about a vineyard to the Northwest of the “Maffei Vyd” (aka “Jolene’s Vyd”): Link

Brian stated that the planting in question was owned by the Giovanetti family, and is known as “Krists Vyd”, and mentioned that it’s presumably Zinfandel interplanted with other varieties: Link

Clyde shared a 1998 map detail of the area depicting the “Krists Vyd”: Link

I think the address for this plot of land is
2220 OAKWILD LN SANTA ROSA CA 95401-3857

Santa Rosa ARCGIS Parcel Detail Report:
Parcel Detail Report.pdf (73.3 KB)

Perhaps more information about the location can be found using the Online tools available at the Sonoma Office of Clerk-Recorder…?

Library of Congress
Search Results:
“Landowner Maps of CA Counties, Etc.”
September 21, 2021

City of Santa Rosa
Geographic Information System (GIS)
page:
https://www.srcity.org/829/GIS-Maps-Documents

Santa Rosa ARCGIS
Express Parcel Viewer:
https://maps.srcity.org/Html5Viewer/Index.html?viewer=parcel&Center=6375999,1920000

Three old Zin vineyards in Lodi that I saw in the past few days - Kirschenmann, Lizzy James, Marian’s.

kirshenmann 1a.jpg
Kirschenmann Vineyard, first planted 1915

kirshenmann 2a.jpg
Kirschenmann Vineyard, first planted 1915

lizzy james 1a.jpg
Lizzy James Vineyard, first planted 1904

lizzy james 2a.jpg
Lizzy James Vineyard, first planted 1904

marian's 1a.jpg
Marian’s Vineyard, first planted 1901

marian's 2a.jpg
Marian’s Vineyard, first planted 1901