California Cabs/Merlot to explore

Hi All.
For years I have been drinking Italian and French wines. Specifically I love Nebbiolo, Sangiovese based wines, and Bordeaux (primarily right bank). Maybe I was unlucky but California wines always struck me as too big, oaky, with too much vanilla. For that reason I don’t usually drink Amarone or Primitivo.
I am looking to expand my horizons now and would like to give another chance to the US.
Looking for recommendations under $50-$60 based on my preferences.
Thank you

Ridge Merlot.

Smith Madrone CS, not sure if price could be above your threshold.

1 Like

Another vote for Ridge Merlot. Also their Estate Cab is a bit higher than $60 but it is usually excellent. I would also recommend Frog’s Leap Cab and Mayacamas Merlot at that price point. I don’t think you will find them to be too big or too oaky.

2 Likes

Tough price point for Napa cab, Smith Madrone is probably closest. If willing to spend a bit more, Pride has great cab and merlot. Otherwise look to Sonoma Cab. Try Bedrock’s Sonoma County Cab, can usually be had for $40 in retail now. Calluna makes a great merlot, their cab blend is a bit over $60, but fantastic. Scherrer cab as well. None of these I’d classify as overly oaky and vanilla based.

Sorry, I’m not as familiar with anything outside of Napa/ Sonoma.

2 Likes

In Napa, Frogs Leap
In Sonoma, Calluna, Bedrock.

There are several other producers of quality Cab-Merlot of the style you are looking for but those above will be in your price range.

Tom

2 Likes

2019 Mount Veeder CS

1 Like

Thanks Tom. I am willing to go higher on occasion, but don’t want to start exploring with 100-200 bottle just to see if I like the style.

Heitz

1 Like

Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon
Duckhorn Merlot

Bit more$
Pride Merlot

2 Likes

Try the Domaine Eden wines from the Santa Cruz Mountains. It’s the companion winery to Mount Eden, quite nearby. They are great bargains in the style you prefer, and you can order direct from the winery site for $50. If you love them, you can move up to Mount Eden cabernet, one of the more important wines in California wine history, and remarkably well made by Jeff Patterson and his team.

4 Likes

So many recommendations. Thanks All!
I have already found Frogs Leap (375ml) at wine.com for $40 before any discounts and Domaine Eden for $45 at WL. I have free shipping pass on both sites. Will place orders later today.

Totally agree and all the more reason to start with lower priced Cabs-Merlot that may fit better in your preferred style (not too big, oaky, with too much vanilla)

Tom

1 Like

This is your answer.

2 Likes

Frog’s Leap, Smith Madrone, Di Costanzo’s Di Co.

If/when the budget expands, I’d look at Corison, Mayacamas, Montelena, etc. There’s also obviously Dominus with the connection to right bank BDX…

2 Likes

Paloma merlot Is the answer and he has past vintages you can buy also

1 Like

Work your way up from Santa Ynez.

Justin is nice entry level stuff and you can adjust as you go up.

Tercero’s cab franc

1 Like

Possibly Becklyn’s Napa Valley Cab? It was $60 for the 2019, which I liked quite a bit. Not overly oaky,

1 Like

You really need to bump up your dollar limit ( to $100?)to try decent Cali Cabs and these days that might be too low. Most of the suggestions made are now closer to $100 .

2 Likes

Well, that is your opinion and really is quite sad. If one has to spend $100 dollars to find a “decent” California Cab (or anywhere else) that is everything that is wrong with the world of wine. Just my opinion.

Tom

4 Likes