Cabernet Sauvignon from California

Don

If you can find one, check out the 2002 Montelena Estate.

I drink so little CA cab that I am going to be less help here than old hands like Mike P, but Montelena Estate, Mondavi Reserve (from before the fall), and Togni come immediately to mind. They are very pleasing to my old world (or just plain old) palate. I don’t have enough experience to comment on Mayacamas but the one I had (from the early 80s, if I recall) was sensational. I also like Dunn wines, but have never had one I really thought was ready. It is always about potential, no matter how old they are.

Don-
You should track down a bottle of the 2013 Enfield Wine* Co. Cab from the Sonoma Coast. It is from a tiny vineyard one ridge behind Hirsch. John’s '12 is very good, but the '13 is from another planet good. It is one of my favorite wines this year. Though this wine has a lot years in it, I think it is worth popping one early to get the feel. It is very AFWE - All the savory notes of Cab are very present and there is no shortage of acidity. I think all of John’s wines are in your wheelhouse- His 14 Haynes Syrah and any vintage of the Heron Lake Chard’s are not to miss.

Others-
Arnot-Roberts Fellom Ranch Cab
Corison (If younger than 10-12yrs, you’d probably prefer the Corison Napa Cab over the Kronos Cabernet)
Mayacamas

*disclaimer- John and I are former roommates, co-workers, and made a wine together in '14.

BTW, this thread just cost me some money. Bought a few 2010 Mayacamas, which Galloni effused over, for $75 at the Plucky Wine Shop. Thanks a lot.

Hey buddy - are you looking for Bordeaux-esque stuff, like what we taste at Mark’s (though likely not THAT spectacular, most of the time!) or something more Cab-heavy? I see a lot I’d recommend for either of those already listed here, with the caveat that I wouldn’t agree with all of them, and those I do would require aging for you - ‘a Burgundy drinker’ - to enjoy them fully. One in particular I don’t see mentioned is Stony Hill.

I also find it interesting that with over 600 wineries in Napa/Sonoma, for the most part the same wineries keep coming up over and over in posts. Not specific to this topic, but when a question is asked about a specific trait of wine or something at a certain price point, when I see answers equivalent to “you can’t find that in Napa”, I always wonder how in the world someone can actually say that and how far away from the ole standards they have ventured.

Lots of good suggestions, here are some of my thoughts on the wines suggested:

Ridge – The standard bearer for balance and finesse.

Corison – definitely more on the old world side. I recently had a 2010 Napa and it was beautiful although they are better with age.

Montelena – Old world stylings, but still a Napa Cab. IMO, this wine is still as good as Napa gets at that price range.

Spottswoode – older Spottswoode wines tended to be more old world in style but that changed a few years ago. These are not fruit bombs, but they are not as delicate and pretty as they used to be. They are very, very good, just different.

Mayacamas – very much old style, but I’ve had too many tannic and austere monsters that never seemed to come out of their shell.

Forman – a somewhat overlooked producer that really focuses on balance. I enjoy these wines quite a bit.

Mondavi Reserve – older Mondavi Reserves are some of the finest wines I’ve tasted out of Napa. Haven’t bought anything since the middle 2000s, but older ones can be found easily at auction and are great.

Love Ridge, buy lots of it. Well-structured, good balance, restrained in ripeness and alcohol. I cannot get to finesse though, given the use and overt presence of new American oak.

That’s a good comment and you are right. I was looking for something besides “balance” to imply less fruit forward and lower alcohol.

Speaking of, email for the 2013 Ceritas Cabernet Sauvignon Peter Marten Ray Vineyard hit today. A little pricey but I’m in for some.

As a fellow Burgundy lover, here is what I know. I love Ridge. The Monte Bello is great, but so are all their Cabs and most of their Zins (esp. the Geyserville and Lytton Springs). I also love Montelena, although it is a more powerful wine. Think of Montelena more as LLC and Ridge more as Ducru, IMHO.

I have not had much Forman, but loved the old Sterling Cabs (1970-1974) from Ric Forman. So, worth a shot.

I have had some very good wines from Mayacamas, but probably have not liked them as much as Monte Bello and Montelena. Historically, very, very traditional and really old vines, but there has been a recent change in ownership so not sure whether anything has changed.

A very old California producer that is legendary for Chardonnay, Stony Hill, started making Cabernet a few years ago. I have only tasted one Cabernet - a 2007. It was really promising, although of course far from ready to drink. I have been buying these in more recent vintages.

Note that some of these are like top Bordeaux in that they need a lot of time to mature and get the types of characteristics you are looking for. My experience with Montelena and Dominus, for example, is that they really need 20+ years to mature. A 1991 Montelena was drinking really well earlier this year and so was a 1978.

I have not had a Mount Eden Cabernet but this one interests me.

How much time do you give them. They need age.

You and I are probably the two biggest fans of Dutch Henry here but I don’t know that it fits into what the OP is asking. Like Karen said about Jean Edwards, I think the Dutch Henry straddles the line of old and new world and probably doesn’t fit the burgundy mold.

Most of my favorites have already been listed but just to pile on my top three are Calluna, EMH, and Corison

Written just for you, Don: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/dining/20pour.html

I can personally vouch for Frog’s Leap, Smith Madrone, and Clos du Val.
And I would add Gamble Family Vineyards to the list.
A bit richer, but still old style in my book, is Andrew Geoffrey.

Just don’t know the others on Asimov’s list well enough to have an opinion.

I’ve had MBs up to 20 years old. They definitely get substantially better, and I cannot argue against them needing time, but the distinct note of American oak does not go away, at least not for my palate.

The Ridge Monte Bellos that my buddy Steve shared with me earlier this year was pure perfection. It’s the type of wine one drinks that makes him second guess nearly everything de has ever drank beforehand, almost. :slight_smile:

Awesome link, thanks!

Tiny production, but I liked the most recent Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Cabernet I tried yesterday.

Very useful thread, BTW, for a topic that must have been discussed 100 times.

[thumbs-up.gif]