Cabernet Sauvignon from California

Mike, good call on Laurel Glen.

A couple more:

Buehler
Smith-Madrone

CH beat me, but Corison.

+1 on the mentions of Smith Madrone, Corison, Arnot-Roberts, and several of the others.

I’d also add Calluna, White Rock, Von Strasser, as fitting the profile that Don mentions.

The new Enfield Wine Co. Cabernet is also in a more restrained style. I have only had one vintage so far, but it was right in my AFWE wheelhouse.

You are totally FOS.

Those are tremendous recommendations. Very very tremendous recommendations. Many people are saying what great recommendations they are. Many many people.

I think you guys just need fruit bomb frozen pops to suck on.

I think the SVD’s offer a good tour of different vineyard sources, as you thought the Pott wines do.

Why bother? Amazingly high real estate prices make it harder to find great value in California Cabernet than in almost any region outside of Burgundy. And even if you ignore the high prices, very few California producers focus on “complexity, value, and finesse”, because most California wine consumers care much more about fruit, sugar, and tannins. With the whole world to choose from, why would any thinking Burgundy drinker waste any time at all on California Cabernet when there are so many other more fruitful regions to explore?

Aaron Pott for a Burgundy drinker? Alpha Omega? Myriad/Quiver/Carter/Mike Carter wines? Some of these recommendations make absolutely no sense at all…

Who are you and what have you done with Don?!? :astonished: :angry: :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t get why folks have to pitch a fit anytime someone asks for California/Napa cab recommendations. Not your cup of tea? Fine. No need to rail against them in thread after thread. Burgundy isn’t a substitute for Cali cab, and vice versa. It’s a big world and people like different things. Some people even like more than one thing.

As for recommendations, EMH, Corison, Von Strasser, and (from limited experience) Matthiasson would all be solid choices, Don.

+1

Corison is probably the most obvious answer.

An old Mondavi (96/97) might work for you. I had a 96 CdV which would also fit what you are looking for. Today, 2009 EMH (just had it, one more bottle left), and the 2013 C. Montelena.

Thought, I would say that you should try some of the 100% Petit Verdots that some winemakers are playing with in CA. They are interesting, fun and different.

Used to be a big fan of Dominus, but am priced out now.

Curious what you all think of the Napanook, whether it fits the bill for what Don is seeking (similar to my taste, incidentally). Some of the critics, granted two that like riper wines, seem to love this wine and some of the notes suggest it could be interesting:

Fabulous nose of mushrooms, like porcini, with > black truffle that turns to citrus fruits such as orange and tangerine> . Some vine bark. Full- bodied yet wonderfully firm and formed with refined and polished tannins. Super definition. Drink in 2018, but wonderful to experience.

97 points, James Suckling (Jan 2016)

Just as magnificent from bottle as it was in barrel, the 2013 Napanook is dense, powerful and brooding, with > searing intensity and extraordinary balance> . Lavender, plums, violets, licorice and smoke are some of the signatures, but the > 2013 exudes finesse> , power and intensity. Bracing and searing, the 2013 is going to require quite a bit of patience. If anything, this is an insane level of quality for the second selection. The 2013 could turn out to be a thirty year old wine. It is every bit that magnificent, especially if given some aeration.

95 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous (Oct 2015)

Drinkward Peschon is an excellent example of a cab for a burgundy drinker.

James Johnson
Regan
Darioush
Domaine Georg Rafael
O’Shaughnessy
Arrowwood
Grassi Family
Ehlers Estate
Hestan Vineyards
Hardin
Frank Family
Kuleto
Grace Blank
Jean Edwards
Hoopes Vineyard
Seavey
Arnot-Roberts
Marston Family
Groth
Broman
Dutch Henry winery

Have fun. It’s a great ride.

Scherrer, Drinkward Peschon, Dehlinger

Thanks for the mention Mike! Our wine style tends to teeter on the edge of old/new world. [thankyou.gif]

If I had to reduce to one or two Napa Cabernets in my life, it would be Spottswoode or Drinkward Peschon. DP will get the nod on price, as you can buy 2 for every 1 Spottswoode.

Di Costanzo is a great choice, all about balance. New release should be out soon too, pretty sure the list is still open.

Tons of great suggestions here. One of the options mentioned that I’d suggest pursuing further is targeting early to mid nineties cabs. The 1994-1996 vintages were incredible and many top examples can be found at competitive pricing. Mondavi, Beringer, La Jota, Fisher, Dalla Valle are all examples that I’ve enjoyed over the last few years.