Cab sauv for the common man

Cab has been one of the most disappointing grapes for me. Generally pretty expensive and my experiences have been it can be pretty decent but not great at the <$70 price point. I tried several cabs from BD last year and they were ok but was pretty pricey on a relative basis. Same goes for the local wine store. I love Beta, great wine, but it’s also $100/bottle. There are fantastic options for pinot and syrah in the $40-60 range. I like red wines with elegance and charm. Does this exist in cab below 100 bucks? What I have had in that range has been pretty generic. Not looking for cult cabs or Napa, just something relatively special without having to drop stacks on it. Should I be looking at left bank instead? I honestly do not get why people love cab so much. I drink mostly California syrah and oregon pinot for reference.

2 Likes

If you would give some examples of Cabs you like, regardless of price, we might be able to help more.

1 Like

Frank Family cabernet is very good for about $45-50

7 Likes

Beta Montecillo is really the only cab that I’ve had that blew my hair back. Awesome complex nose, nice purity of fruit, tremendous balance. I realize that comes with a certain price but something in that vein is what I am looking for. I honestly have not drank much cab so I’m a rookie with this grape!

2 Likes

Yeah, not much help from me, never heard of it. But best of luck, Joe.

We just this week drank a 2014 Louis Martini cab that was still youthful and tightly packed, but great palate feel and finish. Excellent structure!!

My 23 year old son liked it and he’s a tough sell.

Available online under 50 bucks, now!

3 Likes

Awesome! My local store has a bottle of this I’ll scoop one.

Im not buying much Napa/Cali cab, maybe a couple bottles per year for the precise reason that value isnt there. It is worth it to me to spend a bit so I do have some good stuff in the cellar, mainly more traditionally made from Howell or Spring. Did manage to find a 2006 Spring Mountain Cab that was fantastic for $70ish near me - let me know if you want me to see if theres some more at that shop

Sure! Definitely interested.

How many bottles at that price? Not sure how many they have

2 Likes

Bordeaux

14 Likes

Looks like theyve got 2 left, im going to grab both, but my wife has claimed one of them haha. Will hold the other until we run into each other!

3 Likes

This is the Way - The Leadership Institute

2 Likes

Bordeaux.

And Frog’s Leap.

3 Likes

Enfield Waterhorse Ridge

3 Likes

Awesome thanks appreciate that!

2 Likes

Yeah, Bordeaux. I never spend $70 on a bottle and my house is full of world-class Cabernet-based wines.

In the new world, I’d suggest Coonawarra as a source of delicious inexpensive Cabernet. Wynns has long been a favorite, and Yalumba and Penley, among others, make lovely affordable examples. Margaret River is another good spot for superb Aussie Cabernet in the $50 range.

In South Africa there’s plenty going on and I’m a bit out of date but have had lovely Cabs or Cab-based wines from Meerlust and Rustenberg at very reasonable prices.

In California I’ve thoroughly enjoyed cabs in the $30-60 range from Frog’s Leap (though they have their fair share of Brett issues in my experience), Deovlet, and most recently Ryme. Bucklin and Bedrock make lovely Cabernet in your price range, too. I’ve had older (10-20 years) bottles of Volker Eisele picked up for a song at auction. Rafanelli’s prices have been climbing but for a long time have been outstanding value in Cabernet as well as their remarkable Zinfandel. In good years, Ridge’s estate cab, at $60-70 is beautiful.

4 Likes

When you can find it Sandler cab is pretty on point.

1 Like

What retailers are you finding Australian cabs in more balanced styles? There was a blip for a year where a bunch came over at fair prices, but it seems like its been slim pickings since

1 Like

Stefania. Santa Cruz and Santa Clara fruit, under $50, and they pop up on winebid from time-to-time at much less than that. They also do pinot, syrah and other varieties. All very reasonable and eminently enjoyable both upon release and with age.

3 Likes