CA Cab Franc recs?

Chris, let me know what you think. If you like a fresh lively style without oak influence, you will like RYME CF. Very different than most Napa CF (Not that that style is bad)

Tom

There are at least 4 CFs with fruit from Alegria (RYME, Method Sauvage, Tessier, and Acorn). That could be fun to try.

Older Bailiwick CF too. They closed up shop 2-3 years ago but you might still be able to find some. Their 2010 was a particular favorite.

Ryme is very good, though Tessier may be my favorite of those I’ve tried. The Cab Franc from this relatively cool location for the variety often lends a jalapeño note to the wines, which I enjoy.

The one time Larry Schaffer made his 2016 Tercero aberration from Cab Franc, it was insanely good.

Tom, if you are exploring cab franc and haven’t had them from the Loire, it’s worthwhile to see the comparison. It’s a different style than most CA CFs, but one huge difference is that you can get outstanding wines <$25 and even many of the top wines are <$50. There are numerous threads here about Loire Reds about which wines to go for.

Thanks Vince, I love Loire CF, drink them often and for sure their value vs California CF is far superior. Since we moved out to Sonoma County in 2013 we have become a part of the wine scene here. Not only sampling and drinking the wine but also meeting, conversing and enjoying the company of the people involved with wine here. It’s been great and we have barely scratched the surface of what’s going on here.

Tom

I had a 2012 Pride and it was really good

Totally out of your budget ( 100 USD) but Dalla Valle Maya (current vintages only 30% of Cabernet Franc in final blend) should be the finest wine which includes Cabernet Franc in Northern California [winner.gif]

Definitely book marking this thread, as so many great suggestions. Thanks to all!

Like Chris, , I bought 3 bottles of the RYME (thanks Tom for the rec!).

Recs at so many different price points.

Want to start on the low end and build up if the grape is something we like.

Marek, I have a 2013 Maya resting away.

Lucky you…

Definitely tasty in its own right. Thanks for the recs!

Hi Tom D, actually I was responding to the OP Tom. Too many Toms!

Trespass is my go-to cab franc. I’ve been getting Donny’s wine since he started making it.

Morlet
Component

Both terrific

Juan Mercado turned me on to Wolf Family.
Tasty

Totally forgot to mention Ashes & Diamonds, they have a solid CF. Definitely from CA but with a touch of Loire.

Surprised no one has mentioned Morlet. Luc makes an incredible Cab Franc.

Big Table Farm makes a Cab Franc? Didn’t know that and have never seen it anywhere, not even on their website.

+1 on Jonata

I really enjoy the Crocker and Starr cab franc

Bob

Third on Morlet. Awesome CF. Russell Bevan is now making one from Saunders Vineyard. Hope to taste it next week at the winery.