Burgundy Wines

hahaha this is all so true and great.

Agreed, big LOL here reading that, nicely done Nathan!

My advice - Stay away from Burgundy. It will leave you disappointed (for the most part) and broke.

B

There’s no single Burgundy that one can generally find at most good wine shops. You might want to start a separate thread on this or search as there have probably already been some.

What got you interested in Burgundy? I think a good starting point might be answering that.
For example, I fell in love with Volnay. So I started there and learned about that AOC and the Burgundy AOCs in general, labeling etc., studied wine lists to better understand the types/prices of wines in Burgundy. Also if you focus on one village at first you can learn more about each producer and it is not that overwhelming.

From your starting point you can then branch out from what interests you. Burgundy is so complex that following someone else’s path might not be intrinsically rewarding for you.

Another tip is no matter where you start just make sure you have a systematic way to taste wines. The reason is that without notes or the ability to go back to compare and contrast why you liked/didn’t like something it is futile to taste. Unless you have an amazing memory.

I spent my early years of tasting wine in a fog because I didn’t spit and I didn’t take notes. A lot of trips and things I tasted were totally wasted.

You don’t need to be a trained somm or follow deductive tasting etc., as long as it is systematic and known to you.