Burgundy Wines

Where are you located? There might be some more experienced burgundy drinkers to share some wine with you and local burgundy retailers that have tastings.

This is always a fun topic. There are so many ways to get into burgundy and each of them is going to be pretty rewarding in the long run. I suppose that if I were starting over I would take a more systematic approach and would try to use tastings to explore burgundy by exploring the differences in what is in the bottle. I think I might try to start with one producer across different quality levels, so I might try to sample a Hudelot-Noellat bourgogne, vosne and vosne suchot 1er at one sitting to see what I can discern as I move up the hierarchy (of course, this is going to require finding a few like-minded wine lovers who want to do the same). With a few tastings like that, you might be able to get a sense of where your sweet spot is and whether you think it is worth the money to try or to cellar some grand crus. I might also try another tasting where I grab 4 village gevreys from producers I like - maybe Fourrier, Bouvier, perhaps Bachelet if I were feeling particularly wealthy that day for some reason, and I’d see what I could discern about different producer styles. Then after a few tastings you might be able to start identifying producers who make wines in a style that your prefer (more or less oak, stems, etc). Really the possible comparisons are endless. It is nice to have a book with you when you do this so that you can try to glean some information from the bottle with the benefit of expertise, so I would definitely invest in a copy of Jasper Morris’s tome.

At some point it will be essential to start thinking about ageing and maturity and how you like to drink your burgundies. This is a little tricky as well-stored bottles in their prime are going to be pricey. So I don’t think I would begin that endeavor until I’d played around a little bit. But Suzanne’s suggestion of trying to find others who might be willing to share strikes me as a good one. I’ve found wine lovers to be quite a generous group, and many seem to feel like they have more bottles than they can open themselves, and also that even if they didn’t it would still be more fun to share.

I would try not to put too much attention on scores from others because my own experience is that they aren’t a reliable indicator as to how I will receive a wine.

Have a blast!

Alex

Another way to play Hudelot-Noellat is to try villages Vosne Romanee together with villages Chambolle Musigny.

James,

I would not focus on points too much. The question is if you like the style of Burgundy because its pretty much different from Bordeaux, Napa, Spain, Tuscany, Rhone etc. Its a lighter style of wine and less powerful. And the aromatics are different too. Furthermore classic Burgundy carries way more acid than other wines more like a white than a red. If you like these Ballerina style then it makes sense to taste a Premier or Grand Cru from a good producer. If not you may be disappointed.

I think Williams suggestions are spot on. Try a Cru Beaujolais and then a Marsannay, Givry, Rully or something like that from vintages 2015 or 2016. Or a Bourgogne from a good producer. Faiveley is a very good house with good availability. You should be able to find a bottle. If these wines are enjoyable for you then buy books and try to find people with a good cellar. You can make friends easy. Ask for a wine group next to you online. I guess you will find one. Even here on this board.

Double-agreed. Have fun and belated welcome to the board, James.

This is all great info. What is everyone’s favorite burgundy in the $40’ish - $60’ish range that you can generally find at most good wine shops?

I spend my time between Durango-Telluride area, CO and Bend, OR.

I’m going to use this guide and start my tastings. Thankyou so much.

Interesting, my path into burgundy was almost the exact opposite of what George recommended. The vast majority of my cellar is CdB reds. I do agree that suchots is a very nice vineyard though.

1995 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze [wink.gif]

I’m sorry to say this but there is no starting point that can begin to cover Burgundy, just like there is no first sentence of a GREAT novel that can put you into the greatness of the book. You have to read the whole thing. Then you have to read it all again. And maybe a few more times.

With Burgundy, start anywhere you can and just absorb as much as you can each time. Then add experiences as often as you can. Don’t think about it too much, just get it in your glass until you have the wine that resets your understanding of wine. Then start chasing that until one day you wake up and you understand that you don’t know Burgundy, but you know it’s the best(and you haven’t had a crappy one in a while).

Most of all, find people who have been drinking Burgundy for a while, and talk to them as much as you can(which you’re doing here).

And learn that those who know Burgundy don’t know Burgundy, or agree on Burgundy(I would hunt 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, and 2010) except that it can reset your understanding of wine, and Bordeaux can’t :wink:

Are you in Bend now? Or more to the point, will you be in Oregon during February?

Great information on this thread. Will put this to good use.

has anyone opened up any 2016 Burgs at this point? How did the 1ers from Volnay and Pommard do?

I think Charlie’s opened several 16 Liger Belair Le Romanee. :joy:

1. Don’t.

Meaning never start tasting them.

Burgundy is a curse. Walk away from it before it destroys you.

1. If you want to drink Grand Cru burgundies, then first become a billionaire [that’s with a “B” - a Billionaire].

2. If you want to drink 1er Cru burgundies, then first become a millionaire.

3. If you want to drink Village wines, then first achieve at least a $75K per year income [and make certain that you rent a teeny tiny little loft apartment at no more than about $750 per month].

4. None of the above is sarcasm - it is all the God’s Honest Truth.

There was a tradition that Burgundy wines were held to a much higher standard than were Bordeaux wines.

Bordeaux is for frat boys.

Burgundy is for nerds who are hell bent on obsessing and compulsing themselves to death*.

Ergo the lower scores.

*And Burgundy is more than happy to oblige them.

Amen Brother Nathan

And regarding scores…traditionally Burgundy vineyards were owned by monks, and bordeaux vineyards were owned by bankers…and the church doesn’t need the scores. If you’ve drank the Burgundy, you’re buying whether it’s got 79 or a 99

I love how upbeat Nathan always is about Burgundy.

he had to compare it to La Tâche and Romanée Conti!

Spent eight days in Durango last summer. Never found a good wine shop. Was glad I’d brought a case with me.

I spend five days in Bend every September. Typically stay at Pronghorn the whole time. They’ve got a decent list so I don’t fly any of mine in. Is there a good wine shop in town?