Burgundy masterclass with Jasper Morris at Sotheby’s

In case anyone is interested

Burgundy Masterclasses with Jasper Morris, Master of Wine - New York - Sotheby's Wine?

1 Like

Any idea is it $245 for a discussion or will they be tasting wines too?

I hope tasting as I bought it for both days.

1 Like

Saw that too but will be working :frowning: hope it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Thinking about going to the Thursday one.

Nice. I will be there.

• Red Burgundy : Georges Roumier, Robert Groffier, Berthaut-Gerbet, Domaine Fourrier, Domaine Arlaud, Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier, Michel Lafarge, Benoit Chevallier and Henri Rebourseau

I confirmed there will be wine poured. I will be there Thursday.

Dinesh, (and everyone else as well)

Enjoy the class! I am definitely envious. I tasted around a room of Washington wines with Jasper many years ago. He’s a really lovely person and I learned a ton tasting with him.

3 Likes

It was a really nicely arranged event. They had 8 different whites from 2020 vintage (see attached).

In Jasper’s opinion 2014, 2017 and 2020 are the three best vintages for whites.

My two personal favorites were Chateau De La Maltroye La Romanee and Pierre Morey Batard Montrachet.

It was super educational to talk to Jasper and I could have spoken to him for hours, but there wasn’t enough time.

7 Likes

Wow cool. Looking forward to attending the red wine session tomorrow

I was planning to be there tomorrow but something came up. Enjoy.

1 Like

Went to the reds one last night and yeah, surprised by how well run and educational it was. Really appreciated Jasper’s frank discussion on climate change ('18 was the phase transition in his mind, and some famous CdN villages will be hit harder than other appellations) and willingness to critique wines he liked and didnt like.

Highlights for me were the 18 Groffier Amoureuses and 19 Mugnier Marechale, two wines that seemed to defy the sort of clunkiness some bottles from these vintages can show while displaying lots of nuanced complexity. The former was a definite crowd favorite when it came to the vote but I was surprised almost no one went for the latter.

4 Likes

I was there too. Great event.

My favs were the 2018 Fourrier Gevrey - Fourrier’s village gevrey is one of my go to wines and the 2018 Groffier Amoureuse.

I also liked the Lafarge 2017 Clos des Chenes - I find 2017 volnay, generally speaking, to be outstanding. Specifically, Lafarges Clos des Chenes I much prefer a lot more age on it though.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that the 18 Fourrier is doing well. I recall when it was released there was some negative initial notes.

1 Like

Yeah arrived kinda late so didn’t get to meet people–hope to meet you at some future event!

The Lafarge I was kinda confused by… I found myself nodding in agreement to the member of the audience who asked the question about the 2017 tasting much more evolved than the 18’s and 19’s, maybe just a more closed phase as I was finding for a lot of 17 reds also at La Paulee recently but with my limited experience found it kinda hard to parse overall.

1 Like

The volnay was nice and had a lot going on but agreed closed. That wine needs a decade more of age easily

1 Like

I was also surprised how many people picked the Roumier as their favorite. I was not a fan of it. I found it medicinal in nature.

Yeah not my favorite either… I think I know what you mean, it felt very dense and a little blunt at the beginning, but curiously after the tasting I had a tiny sip left and was pleasantly surprised. So may just need time.

2 Likes

It seems that some 17’s are starting to close down a bit. I had the Lafarge CdC last year and it was pretty great. Would have loved to have gone to the tasting.

1 Like

Indeed - sounds like a great one. A lot of the wines that I would have loved to try.

1 Like