Buffalo - wings (and others…after)

Day trip tomorrow on a whim.
Big wing fan so I’m trying to link together a trail .
Any locals or others with thoughts as to where to explore?
We did Anchor back in the day, which I realize is a sort of tourist trap now. Any other must hits…I’d like to do 4 or 5.
End up at a cool joint

Anchor Bar is an obvious choice. There’s one in the airport too.

Wings are everywhere

Thanks Brig just edited a bit because I did Anchor 20 yr ago. Not opposed to stopping by again though! And I’m driving…no hotel yet either. So last minute thoughts on the whole city are appreciated.

I hit Anchor bar every time I’m rolling through Buffalo. Duffs is good too.

It’s been 7 years since I was in Buffalo but there were a couple of nice foodie restaurants downtown.

Check out Barons Pub in Hillsboro - low key spot with good burgers and wings. It’s about 30 mins south of Columbus. After that, drive east to Chillicothe and hit up Old Firehouse Brewing. They’ve got some tasty craft beers and decent pizza too.

1 Like

Duffs, Bar Bill, Elmo’s, Gabriel’s gate.
Stop by Charlie the butcher and get a beef on weck. Then stop by Watson’s and pickup some sponge candy for the house.

1 Like

Thanks all, I’ll see if I can hit a few spots.

Back in the day, I was addicted to Ted’s hot dog sauce for a while. A former coworker used to bring me down a stash after visitings relatives in the Buffalo area.

1 Like

This right here! I always keep a jar in the fridge for hot dogs. Also, Webers mustard and picalilly relish is amazing.

1 Like

Two words: Bar Bill

Duffs looks and tastes the same, to me , as it did 40 years ago. The original on Sheridan Drive. And that’s a good thing .

Trip follow-up:

Went to the original Bar-Bill and it’s a very cool little pub. Walked in and bar was full on a Wednesday at 2pm, so went down the street and picked up the supplies to make Charlie the butchers sandwiches at home.
Got back and there was a seat so plopped down got a single order (that’s 10 in Buffalo) and carved in front of you Beef on Weck. Everything was super. Really could have stayed there.

After going over my possibilities list with some locals (got some great other tips) Next stop was Wellington Pub. Wings are fried traditional and then grilled with char marks. Really does bring a different dimension. Unfortunately I inadvertently ordered BBQ instead of traditional sauce and I’m not really a fan as it just gets too sweet for me.
Nice spot if in the area, but probably not a destination.

Next stop Gabriel’s Gate. Another cool pub in an 1850’s exposed brick building that has a good vibe and energy going on. Wings were probably my favorite, plump juicy and since the lady next to me said get extra crispy that’s how I gladly proceeded. About the perfect wing but also the most expensive $18/10.

The plan was to hit Mammoser’s on the way home but 30 wings and a Beef did me in.

I’d like to do it again as there are no doubt many more to explore.
I think the key there is they just treat the dish with respect. All Nice evenly sized wings, presented well and every time came out so hot and crisp I had to let them cool. Around here you just never know what your going to get and there will be several that you hold up and think “Really” :laughing:

(If mods read this please move to Travel I didn’t realize I’d put it here)

2 Likes

Bar Bill full at 2pm on a Wednesday is not unusual, to be honest. Glad you enjoyed it. Could easily spend a day there without noticing.