Braised short rib: bone-in vs boneless?

Had an ingredients questions for anyone who might know - fiancée is making this recipe today so we’ll have short ribs for a few days to linger over:

We have Morgan Ranch wagyu short ribs that, once I defrosted them, I realized are boneless. The recipe calls for bone-in. Should we be making any adjustments to the recipe?

(As of this moment, probably using a Chatagnier Saint-Joseph Sybarite for the braising and drinking a Cuchet Beliando, with an epic decant, with dinner - though it might end up being a 2010 cru bourgoise and a 2013 Di Costanzo with the meal.)

No, carry on, they’ll be great!

1 Like

We use zin

I’ve always done bone-in, but the bones are quite thin and I’ve never noticed any less material in them after removing them, so I don’t think they contribute much. So as others say, I think you’re fine.

It is possible they will cook a bit faster. But I am basing that on my experience with bone-in versus boneless chicken thighs.

Post a pic of the finished product. I’m all out of short ribs and our next cow won’t be ready until 2023.

It worked out! Also I did a little reading. Apparently the boneless short ribs come from a different part of the cow than bone-in. Bones do add flavor, but the boneless carry a richer flavor, so the result is similar. They were delicious - took about 30% less time to cook. Also I can vouch for 2015 Cuchet Beliando as a great match - needs about six hours in the decanter, then it’s glorious.

2 Likes

Sounds great! Thread drift perhaps, but it would be interesting to know where the “boneless short ribs” come from… is this analogous to “boneless chicken wings” or “country style” pork ribs?

Never mind, google answered the question:

I swear by bone-in, but just ordered some boneless from Flannery - looking forward to seeing if those will change my mind.

Boneless short ribs are typically just chuck roast sliced into thick strips is what I’ve been told by my local meat guy. Typically leaner in my experience. A well cooked short rib does taste different. There’s a lot more collagen and long braise friendly stuff that happens to a short rib than chuck.

When I want to make braised short ribs, the bone is an important piece from a presentation perspective. I also feel the sauce made from the braising liquid has more depth from the bones but that’s sort of splitting hairs. Nailing the short ribs is an ALL DAY affair. Boneless takes maybe half as long in my experience.

Both work great. Red meat braised in wine rarely sucks. If we’re making braised short ribs dinner is ready when dinner is ready. If I’m braising chuck, we can eat dinner on time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And here is a picture of how I like to have short ribs for that original recipe.

I like to cook them slower and longer, probably 6-8 hours at 275. Pre roast veggies , reduce 2x the wine and liquid to half volume before even braising.

You want to cook them until they’re about 80-90% tender. Then remove and cool down to say 120 degrees to let the juices return to meat. Then remove and cover meat, strain the liquid, reduce to the right consistency, return meat and sauce to roasting pan and finish in the oven for 90 minutes in the new sauce.

This keeps them from falling apart and let’s you go from oven to table ready for dinner with everything rocking and rolling.

1 Like

I would throw in a little glace de viande to dump the flavor you would be missing from the bones.

But any way will be great

1 Like