Braised Lamb Shoulder & Cauliflower with Syrahs

Yesterday afternoon Jeff Pfohl came up to help us bring stuff from our storage unit to the house. After a couple trips we had dinner. I braised a Churro lamb shoulder in a couple quarts of mixed vegetable and lamb stock with a sweet onion, a couple heads of garlic, rosemary, and bay leaves. After three or so hours of braising. I remover the shoulder and began to reduce the braising liquid. I cooked the cauilfower in a mix of water and milk with onion powder and caraway. I added a couple tablespoon of arrowroot to some Bual and added it to the reduced stock, after removing the onion garlic, and bay.

I plated the sliced shoulder with some of the sauce and the drained caulifower. The meal was very tasty with a couple very different Syrahs, a 2001 Ogier Côte-Rôtie and a 2002 Tablas Creek Syrah. The Tablas was bright berry fruit, fairly simple, with a medium finish. The Ogier was the best of last three we’ve had - very little funkiness, rich complex berry fruit, a balanced mid-palate, and a long complex finish.

The we finished with a 2000 Nine Gables Vineyard Zinfandel Pifari Cedar Vista Vineyard from California’s Shenandoah Valley, with cheeses - Epoisse, Affinois Goat Brie, Parmagiano Reggiano, and Raw-milk Morbier. The rich red and black fruit of the Zin was good with the cheeses. The fruit was also rich and complex enough to cover the 15.8% alcohol. It was a nice finish to a good, tasty meal.

Let me know next time you need help moving and I will fly out from california. Your kitchen skills sound amazing!

Thanks for the great first post on Berserkers. We need to be out of the storage unit by the end of the month, and most of the stuff is here. Thanks for the offer.

You are welcome to visit us anytime, Just let us know.