Bovio?

Looks like Bovio in La Morra has closed for good. Anyone know why?

Oh no, what an amazing place, that is so sad.

Wow, that’s really sad.

Roberto Conterno bought it. He’s going to remodel it and re-open as a restaurant. Will it be better? Time will tell.

2 Likes

I see that someone has already answered the question. But, further down the slope in Annunziata is Osteria Veglio. My favorite place to eat in all of the Langhe, and when the weather is good, eating out on their terrace looking toward Castiglione Falletto is spectacular.

5 Likes

It’s funny that they call the restaurant “historic” because I recall eating several times between 1996 and 2004 in the grand Ristorante Belvedere at the top of La Morra when the Bovio family owned it. They opened Bovio down the hill after the sale, I believe. Never managed to get to the “new” place.

I found the food at Bovio quite clunky, although the setting especially when the weather is good / for lunch was great. Hopefully the food improves. My only concern would be the food becomes a bit overly complex a la Cucine Nervi, but I think someone commented on Vinous around the time of the purchase that Roberto said the food will remain traditional in style.

1 Like

Funny story from the old Bovio Belvedere…

I ate lunch there with my brother in October 2004. We had no reservation and were told when we they were full, but I trotted out my tourist Italian and told Signor Bovio (who I addressed as such) that I had the fondest memories of my previous meals there (entirely true) and wanted my brother to experience the restaurant.

He found us a table.

We had spent four or five days in Germany before making our way to La Morra and had overeaten constantly. My brother was feeling utterly bloated and I happily agreed to a simple, light meal.

The antipasta mista seemed like a good choice, with a plate of a simple pasta afterward.

Unbeknownst to me, the antipasta mista consisted of five – count 'em – moderately sized different dishes, served in succession. And we’d placed two orders. We looked on in horror as plate after plate arrived.

By the time we left, my brother was in agony … and angry. Years later he told me he was sure I had done this on purpose to torment him. I had a hard time convincing him that the menu listing could be construed in different ways and I’d assumed we’d each receive one sampler plate.

Good to know. I’ve already booked lunch there for our trip in September.

I’ll add a vote for Osteria Veglio. It’s fantastic, especially during truffle season. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Another vote. My favorite dining experience during my trip last May.

Since we are speaking of great meals in the region, here’s one that newer than 20 years old/ :slight_smile:
From October.
Tre Case in Serralunga d’Alba. Amazing.

1 Like

I have two dinners in La Morra this fall and am homing in on More e Macine and L’Argaj. No evening meal at veglio when we are there.

I skipped it last time in Piemonte as the wine pricing was what an American restaurant with the same wine would charge.