Boston Wine/Poker Holiday Party lineup

Our regular poker/wine group put away the cards and invited spouses and had a fun night of food and drink. I promised the crew I’d post the lineup so here it is. We have a few diligent note-takers and hopefully they will chime in.

I provided the Chave blanc- had only had it once previously and loved it; happy to say my 2nd (and last) bottle performed well too. To my uneducated tastes, I wouldn’t wait longer as it seemed fully mature but what do I know.

I also included the 2011 Voerzio Barolo La Serra, as I hadn’t tried before and knew there were some Italian fans attending.

Lastly, I threw in the 2003 Quilceda Creek, inspired by the recent WB tread debating whether it was the best Washington wine ever, or overrrated parker hot oaky mess. I thought it would be fun to see where our crew fell on the topic but didn’t really get a chance to poll everyone before the night descended into haze. I definitely enjoyed it.

1.5L NV Gaston Chiquet Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs d’Aÿ France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
750ml 2008 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
750ml 1998 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
750ml 2020 Chimney Rock Elevage Blanc USA, California, Napa Valley
750ml 2013 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
1.5L 1999 Hubert Lignier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
1.5L 2019 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie
750ml 1990 Domaine Thomas-Moillard Bonnes Mares France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
750ml 2010 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello di Montalcino Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
750ml 2001 Foradori Granato Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT
750ml 1967 Elvio Cogno - Marcarini Barolo Brunate Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
750ml 2011 Roberto Voerzio Barolo La Serra Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
750ml 1999 Rudd Jericho Canyon USA, California, Napa Valley
750ml 2000 Chateau Musar Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
750ml 2004 Realm Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
750ml 2004 Vieux Château Certan France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
750ml 2003 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon USA, Washington
750ml 1997 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve USA, California, Napa Valley
750ml 1988 Château La Tour Blanche Sauternes France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
750ml 2011 Azienda Agricola Biava Moscato di Scanzo Italy, Lombardia, Moscato di Scanzo

3 Likes

Great lineup and fun time. Nice meeting all of the new(ish) players and their sig others. Funny I somehow missed tasting the Quilceda, remember loathing that wine (as with all their wines) shortly after release.

Some eye openers for me where the Realm (wasn’t it a 2003?), the 1967 Barolo (my god I loved it and my first ‘drinkable’ Barolo) and the 98 Chave hermy blanc.

The guests were even treated to my version of Heart & Soul on the piano :wink:

Finally found some time to add some comments.

1. I enjoyed the 2003 Quilceda Creek. Thought it balanced the wood and fruit very well and seemed pretty ready to drink (but can keep going in the cellar too). Thanks for sharing it Kyle.

2. I didn’t really enjoy the Chave Hermitage blanc. Thought it was unique, but not really my thing and would have a tough time drinking a full glass or more.

3. I really enjoyed the 2004 Vieux Chateau Certan even though it’s still a long way from maturity. It was just approachable and seemed to be a really cerebral wine for me. Would love to try it again in another 10 years.

4. I thought the 2011 Roberto Voerzio Barolo was going to destroy my teeth enamel and palate, but it was actually very approachable. I know his wines are pricey, but this one showed some serious class and had me checking wine-searcher prices.

5. There were no duds at all in the lineup and each wine was truly unique and fun to try. Similar to Peter, the 2004 Realm that Michael brought was very good.

Thanks again for hosting and providing a bunch of wine geeks a fun evening to share some delicious wines!

How was the 99 Rudd Jericho Canyon? I remember having a bottle in the mid 00s and loving it. Did it hold up?

1 Like

Wine and poker in Boston?! Always looking for new wine friends in the area. Burg/Champ/N Rhone/Piedmont are the favs around our house. If you ever need a fish… I mean fill in, would be happy to take part, schedule permitting.

1 Like

I thought it was mature but in a good drinking spot. Plenty of fruit left. Needs a little air to flesh it out IMO.