Boston in June: 2004, 2005, & 2007-2017 Patricia Green Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block Vertical & blind gathering

Agreed. Thanks for putting this together, Kirk and thanks also to Jim Anderson. That vertical was impressive, especially for the diversity from year to year depending on so many variables as Jim described. I liked Jim’s grouping of the wines into “themes”, which provided a way of organizing my tasting impressions. I enjoyed probably all these wines but there were some that stood out to me also: 2004 among the “oddballs”, 2015 among the “warm weather” grouping, and 2016 among the last grouping of “ideal conditions” wines. These three wines have very different qualities that appealed to me but all three were very appealing (my glasses of these three were emptied!). The blind tasting was interesting for me to sit back and listen to those with more experienced palates narrow the possibilities in an unpretentious yet obviously knowledgeable way. My wildly off-based conjectures were kindly tolerated. It was a good group to taste with and spend the evening. The five hours just flew by for us. Jacqueline and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks to all who shared the evening with us.

Thank you, Kirk for putting this together and sharing your wines! It was an honor to taste alongside Jim Anderson and really get to know more about his wine (also a nice surprise treat to have Kelley there, too). It’s always wonderful meeting (and drinking) with fellow wino-s, but this was a really nice and thoughtful group of people!

I agree with Jim, hearing everyone talk through the blinds was super interesting!

There wasn’t a bad bottle all night, they all had wonderful stories to tell. Among the Patty Greens, my highlights were the 07 (could have been burgundy!) and 11 (loved the herbal qualities that developed later in the night), and the 05 and 09 were really beautifully balanced.

Couldn’t have asked for a nicer evening! I look forward to the next time we can do something similar!

Sorry to have been unable to make it, glad it sounds like it went off brilliantly. Is there a thread with notes?

Bravo to all, espec. Jim and Kelley.

Mike

Mike, it was a good group, but we could have used you there both for your company AND your TNs. [cheers.gif] -Jim

Thank you all so much, especially Kirk and Jim. What a fantastic evening it was.

Thanks so much to Kirk for organizing, and to Jim for making it a reality. Really fun group of people - I had a great time!

Here’s my tasting story from the event.

JIM ANDERSON / PGC DINNER - ETZEL BLOCK VERTICAL AND BLIND TASTING - New England (6/1/2019)

A lovely dinner with Jim Anderson from Patricia Green Cellars. Highlight was a multi-year vertical of Etzel Block. We also did a blind tasting which was, well, humbling as usual. I won’t post my notes from the blind because they are just embarrassing.
Warmup

Oddball vintage flight
Vintages that were imperfect in some way - strange weather, etc.

Warm year flight
title says it all. Ripe, big.

Four best vintages
well, how do you call “best?” These were great though.

Posted from CellarTracker

Tariq, sorry to hear you got a sense of the 2012 being corked. I am usually pretty sensitive to that, but I guess I missed it.

I did post something on this in the Wine Talk as well. It was so nice to meet you and your wonderful wife. We had a really great group of folks there for this. I hope we can all catch up again the next time there’s a gathering in the greater Boston area.