Boston Dining

I really liked deuxave the 2-3 times I’ve been.

Thanks, Merrill for the report! After about 8 months here in Boston, I’m still trying to make my way around the city (so this is helpful!) I had lunch at the Cambridge Toscano a few weeks ago (same as the one on Charles St., I believe) and it was delicious!

Months removed I find myself remembering O Ya as a truly fantastic meal, even if solo. I also need to send thanks to Jud and his lovely wife, who took me out to Troquet on South for communion with great wines they brought.

This was epic, shaved, local Fluke:
7399068A-C194-4BE0-83CF-D363C73B98B4.jpeg
A5, nuff said:
A92F8000-F077-4AF7-B41B-0FA3C0849B50.jpeg
Japanese Harmony:
19B0CEA3-313B-44BD-851C-217DA4EF825F.jpeg

Glenn - it was a pleasure meeting you. I have only had great experiences at O YA, although my patience for that long a meal experience is starting to wane. No Bandon this year with my buddies ( Streamsong in FL) instead. We will definitely be in touch if we make it out your way.

Funny you mentioned #9 Park - Lisa and I went there last fall for the first time in ages and thought everything was really well done, food and service were spot on. Merry Christmas Merrill!

And Merry Christmas to you and Lisa! Sorry your schedule was full and we could not get together. Try Cultivar…I have been a few times and really like it. Thankfully, one of my friends cancelled sort of last minute, and the concierge got me an awesome ticket to the Celtics game.

Devra First (Globe reviewer) didn’t seem very enthused by the food at No. 9 Park recently (she re-visted all of Barbara Lynch’s restaurants):

I stopped going to No9, but my Boston friend wanted to go there. It was spectacular, so I will go back again to see if it is a repeatable expereince.

L’Espalier is closing after 40 years this week:

Not a good few months for Boston dining: B3, L’Espalier, Erbaluce, Cultivar, Shepard, Brasserie Jo, Les Sablons…all closed. Erbaluce and B3 are particularly sad for me.

On the positive side, we no longer have to warn visitors away from Durgin-Park (just Union Oyster House).

I was heartbroken over Shepard’s closing, but looks like Luce, an Italian concept by the same owner, is opening in its place. Keeping my fingers crossed they do the same concept with wine (allowing you to purchase quartinos at the bar of the half-bottles opened in the restaurant, or just being able to purchase a half bottle from the majority of their list). Made solo-dining there a really nice experience.

BOSTON STYLE: Two Pearl all beef hot dogs, with sauerkraut, mustard, griddled homemade New England-style buns, at Mamaleh’s Delicatessen in Kendall Square, Cambridge, near MIT. Probably Boston-area’s best Jewish deli restaurant.
IMG_3545.jpg

Another fantastic meal at Troquet, and the Summer Wine Sale is back on for the month of January. Excellent bottle of 1978 Ch. Haut Brion was WOTN (WOTY so far), but everything was in great shape. Yes, even the 1973 Cave Cooperative de Fleurie, which was probably my second favorite wine. More proof Beaujolais really can age!

And who knew Joseph Phelps once made a late harvest riesling?

Lot of new dishes on the menu, and I had the first ever serving of “Maine Lobster French Toast”, which is DOTY so far (with brioche, lemon curd, lightly smoked crème fraîche, sauce Americaine, celery; $23).

1973 Cave Cooperative de Fleurie Fleurie
1995 Archery Summit Pinot Noir Archery Summit Estate
1978 Château Haut Brion
1995 Bodegas Reyes Ribera del Duero Teofilo Reyes Tinto Cosecha
1978 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste
1977 Joseph Phelps Johannisberg Riesling Late Harvest

Through the end of January.
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_3683.jpg

For those of you looking for a nice wine dinner in Boston this month, my friend Ian Calhoun is putting on a wine dinner next Tuesday the 29th at his restaurant Mooncusser Fish House. Cost is $225/person. Restaurant is on Stuart St in Back Bay.

I’m coordinating the wine and it’s a great lineup of pristine older bottles. 1981 Charles Heidsick “Charlie” in magnum (recently ex domaine), 2005 Carillon Puligny Montrachet “Champs Canet,” 2007 Beaucastel Roussanne VV, 1981 Palmer in magnum, and 1954 Broadbent Madeira Verdelho.

PM if you want to join or want further details. Would enjoy meeting some of the Boston WB crowd.

Looking for options near Chelmsford, MA for tomorrow (3/6). Thanks in advance.

Not a lot of legal BYOB in MA, unfortunately. Here’s some in the Boston area:

I would recommend Sam’s Kitchen in Woburn (about 25 min drive from Chelmsford, depending on traffic), which is a decent enough red sauce Italian. But you definitely need reservations unless you go very early, since it is only about 25 seats and popular.

No corkage, but based on town rules, they only allow 1 bottle/2 people on the table (and comparable number of glasses). Bring a wine bag! Glasses are mediocre.

I wrote something about it in this thread (wine rules have changed since):

Also, there is Nappi’s in Medford, which is a few minutes further drive. Similar to Sam’s, although I prefer the latter.

Thanks for the info. Boston is unfortunately not an option.

Let us know if you discovery anywhere in Chelmsford!

Robert- having followed where you normally go to eat in various threads, I don’t think there is anything near there that will be anywhere close to what you would like. There are some good unpretentious Asian places in Lowell - Simply Khmer for Cambodian food is one I would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation. I went here and liked it. The Chicken Wings (I am from Buffalo!) were great and the other dishes were fun to try.