Bordeaux - Modern vs Classic

96 Montrose - I still believe that this continues to be an “under the radar” vintage for Montrose. Wonderful, expressive nose of beef blood, iron, earth, tobacco, cassis, black fruit, moist loamy soil, and pencil (of course). Classic. The palate follows with similar flavors, but even more complex with bacon, black tea, and black cherry. This is a very complex wine. Pretty full bodied and tannic, but the tannins melt and ease with air. Very long finish. Will continue to improve. 95 Pts

03 Cos d’Estournel - Uh oh? Maybe unfair to have these side by side. This does not even resemble Bordeaux. Me, the 03 whore, saying that about one of the best from 03. It should become a great wine, but right now it is mostly fruit and oak. You do pick up some traces of leather, tobacco, and pencil - but yikes, the sweetness is just overpowering. A monster of a wine that that will need a ton of time. I don’t know. Currently, alot of the top tier 03 left bankers are showing much better (Ducru,Lalande,Barton,Baron,Montros e). Maybe this Cos will one day outshine them all? For me, my money is on Montrose, Ducru, and Lalande. 94+ Pts (based on pedigree and potential