Boardwide Virtual Tasting: Napa Merlot 3/20-23-PILE ON NOW!

Mike, I had a couple of killer Merlots this week. (A variety I’m not known to have many of) and I gotta say, wow. Garguilo & Larkin. I may have to do more expermenting myself…

I hear good ones do exist Mike. Merlot has always stood for me as one of the two grapes where France clearly dominates California (Chardonney is the other). I’d like to see that list reduced to one!

I forgot the brand of the last Merlot I liked, but it was made by a guy named Tom Rinaldi? from Beckstoffer vineyard.

Provenance maybe?

Their 'Las Amiga’s bottling (which I though was no more, according to Rinadli over dinner a few years back, but CT has some 05,06s?). It was my favorite a few years back.

2006 rated 92 points: 2002 Provenance Merlot, Beckstoffer Las Amigas Vineyard, Napa
This wine is always consistent in its ability to please. Big plush medium to dark cherry fruit on the nose and palate. Notes of anise and ultra light chocolate. Great super meshed tannins. Nice acid level. This wine has an amazing mouth feel that I love in a Merlot. A great wine from an underappreciated producer. (Tasted half a dozen times with consistent notes)

Mike and Bill, you nailed it. That was a superior wine and not overly costly. I purchased a few bottles at Costco. I wish I had a couple of cases.

2/3 Merlot. Cab is all Cab.

Thanks to Carrie Bowman, I now have an entry!!

Put me down for 2000 Saddleback Cellars Merlot, which I will consume upon my return from Wisconsin and Atlanta on March 23rd.

Kudos Carrie!

It may not be thought of as the best vintage but you couldn’t miss another
virtual considering you’re the big cheez around here !
[cheers.gif]

No question I’m the big cheese. The big cheesehead!

Right, Jan?

OK, Provenance Napa 05 ready to go.

Ladies & gentlemen, start your engines.
First up: 2001 Blankiet Merlot Paradise Hills

Put us down for the '97 Beringer HM BR. Will open on Saturday.

Swim? Swammi? Slippy? Slappy? Swenson? Swanson?
Samsonite - I was way off. I knew it started with an ‘s’ though.

Swanson - '99 (I think)

To this day, one of my favorite all time comedies…

And put me down for the 2002 of this wine, which the wife and I will open on the same night.

What you gonna eat with this Bill? Maybe we’ll make something similar.

Probably a Flannery Hanger with haricot vert and roasted fingerlin taters.

hmmm… then maybe I go for a fire roasted garlic marinated skirt steak with those same taters…

I guess we post in this thread Mike. If not, please let me know. I am already sipping on a 2004 Pride merlot Mountaintop.

Otto

Otto, sure, here is fine. Follow me!

TN: 2001 Blankiet Estate Merlot Paradise Hills Vineyard

• 2001 Blankiet Estate Merlot Paradise Hills Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/20/2009)
    Old colored edges surround a solid magenta viscous core. The nose has a bit of reduction on it. Some blackherry and a metallic sour cherry. hmmmm. the palate shows a reddish leaning profile that has a weak and thin midalate and a metallic short finish that really makes it…not nice. The sour cherry note persisits through-out.
    Like Miranda said to Samanta “I expected more from you!” (83 pts.)

I just wish it were a stronger start…

Hey Mike,
I thought it started the 21st as the title says. Were the dates changed?
We’re going to be popping the Venge Reserve Merlot