BLIND Pinot Tasting (BURGUNDY v. CA PINOT! 6/22/19 Thousand Oaks Area - UPDATED SEE POST 39

Scott, I think he meant to carpool with YOU!

No, he means Uber pool with him lol. None of us will be able to drive after, and lord knows Andrea doesn’t want me sleeping on the dog bed again a la Totoraku [wow.gif]

I’m interested. I’ll be getting back from a vacation right before then, so I’ll need spousal clearance. I doubt she’d make the trip too, and as cute as he is, you probably don’t want our toddler running around during a wine tasting!

Adam, no toddlers (as cute as he may be as we have an unfenced pool), but we’d love to add you.

As expected, thanks Bruce!

I am going to have to cancel. Too many kids events to get away for the day.

Been asleep at the wheel and away from this thread. We are open on the 22nd and would love to join! Will the wines be tasted blind or out in the open for everyone to see?

Tasting will be June 22; I’d suggest we start at 4:30. I have been told Lazy Dog won’t do a Saturday for about 20 people with 20 wines so I will host. Just 2 miles north of the 101 freeway so it is not much of a detour. As it gets closer I will PM those attending with my address.

It will be Red Burgundy v. California Pinot. BLIND! One bottle per person, so if you are a couple, bring one of each region. I will probably open some Rose’ or Bubbles before we start. I have glasses but you are welcome to bring more so we call can have options…

I’ll supply the protein on the Smoker or grill. Probably do some smoked Brisket, Salmon and maybe pork belly sliders. Those coming can bring some sides. I was thinking we should cap at about 16, but if there are a few extra who want to come, I say the more the merrier.

UPDATED LIST:

Bruce and Laurie Rudman (plus two friends who are not on the Board)
Mike and Dana Stoneking
Scott and Andrea Watkins
Greg P (+1)
Ron Freed (+1?)
Shane (you said Sundays - this is a Saturday)?
Adam G
Dominque & Marc Simon

If you cannot make it, let me know - if you are interested let me know too…

I unfortunately have to cancel. Hope to catch you guys next time around.

What, something I said? We can have our Uber driver pick you up… [cheers.gif]

Thanks Bruce, missed the blind reference earlier.

Curious what the format of “blind” is. Flights, or simply mixed up and tasted at will?

And with a matching pair of bottles, same vintage for New/Old? Just don’t want 2018 Barefoot Pinot Noir to stick out much :slight_smile:

[rofl.gif]

Is it at your house Bruce or the restaurant?

Bruce’s house, per a few posts above.

If it is truly blind to everyone then it is hard to break up into flights. Sort of takes the fun out of not knowing if the wine is a Cote du Beaune or a Barefoot Pinot, doesn’t it?
We could figure out flights of vintages before 2014 and after, or something like that.

Bruce, just asking what to expect. Planning to bring wines with some age on them.

If we are truly doing them blind and want to keep even the person bringing the wine from knowing what is in the bottle, this is what I suggest. We will have identical wine bottle sized paper bags for all wines. The wines will be put by the person bringing the wines into a bag with a rubber band at the top, and we can have two tables, “lighter syles” and “heavier styles” and you can choose where to put your wines. i really don’t think all California fit the bill of heavier or that all Burgundy fit the bill of lighter. When all bottles are bagged, the bottles will be shuffled around a bit and then the bags will be numbered. We will taste the “lighter” wines as a first flight and then the other wines as a second flight. I’ll have tasting sheets for people to guess (or use their keen palates) to rank the wines, as well as to state their origin. When all have been tasted through, we will vote on the favorite wines of the flights, and then we can have the big reveal! Usually fun to see what fooled people. I am not a dictator so we can vary this to whatever the masses think is a better way of doing this but this is how our local tasting group does it.

Arghhh… My brother in law just called to let us know he’s flying in that weekend, so need to cancel.

Sorry to lose GregP to the brother in law.

I am game to host regardless of the number of people and if everyone who expressed interest is still planning to attend we are 12-14 folks, and I don’t know if Shane is a go or was a plus one… Twelve to fourteen is actually a good number with bottle of wine holding 25 oz. or so. But, 14-16 people would give us more variety.

To recap, Tasting will be June 22; I’d suggest we start at 4:30. I will host. Just 2 miles north of the 101 freeway so it is not much of a detour. As it gets closer I will PM those attending with my address.

It will be Red Burgundy v. California Pinot. BLIND! One bottle per person, so if you are a couple, bring one of each region. I will probably open some Rose’ or Bubbles before we start. I have glasses but you are welcome to bring more so we call can have options…

I’ll supply the protein on the Smoker or grill. Probably do some smoked Brisket, Salmon and maybe pork belly sliders. Those coming can bring some sides. I was thinking we should cap at about 16, but if there are a few extra who want to come, I say the more the merrier.

UPDATED LIST:

Bruce and Laurie Rudman (plus three wine friends who are not on the Board)
Mike and Dana Stoneking
Scott and Andrea Watkins
Ron and Andrea Freed
Adam G

I’m considering, even though it’s DAYUM far away…hope I can make it work out