Biscuits

I can’t believe you took the time to do all that. You must be a lot of fun to live with.

Wife: “Honey, will you go to the Winn-Dixie and pick up a half gallon of milk?”
Bob: “Sure, just as soon as I go through all these back issues of Consumer Reports to find out which kind is best.”

It’s painful to be both bombastic and wrong, no?

Though the Bisquick biscuits fall short on sodium, the make up for it with lots of tasty transfats which the Cook’s Illustrated biscuits lack.

Hell no. I was just making a WAG and tossing out a throw-away line about the Bisquick. I don’t really care one way or the other and it’s certainly not important enough for me to research it, but thank you for the work you did.

It’s entertaining, considering the other ingredients in both biscuits that you are quibbling over sodium content.

WTF? I’m not quibbling at all. I’ll repeat. I don’t care.

EDIT: Like WHAT other ingredients? Butter and buttermilk. It’s not like they’re laced with strychnine or warfarin.

Big Toe - thank you for the work on that. To show my naivete, I’d completely ignored the sodium count in the baking soda and powder. Shame on me.

Seeing as how baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

Okay. I can be slow, but I get it now: Not intended to be a factual statement.

How about this one?

Did that happen when you ate 6 biscuits (1819 mg sodium)? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, and now I know why.

Bob, I can’t tell if your edit is serious or not. But I will say that the main ingredient of the recipe is all-purpose flour.

My edit is perfectly serious, and what’s the problem with all-purpose flour?

Taste-wise? Nothing at all Bob, but if one is discussing the “health” aspects of it there are numerous problems with it. One could argue that there is nothing positive at all about it from that standpoint. You think flour is positive, neutral, or negative? Just curious. Is it better or worse than sodium?

Matt - I think the point is that you can’t make biscuits or any other baked good without flour. And… be specific. What are these ‘numerous problems’?

Thank you, Rick. Before Matt posted I Googled “problems with all-purpose flour” and came up empty. In some respects, flour is flour. It’s freakin’ wheat.

Increased insulin levels, increased small-particle ldl, increased triglycerides, increased diabetes, increased risk of heart disease. Do we really want to discuss this here/now? I’m just wondering how many people here think the sodium in the recipe above is the most “unhealthy” part of it.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

RECIPES:

Flourless Chocolate Cake I

15 recipes
Flourless Orange Cake

Oh well … I guess you can.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Increased risk of heart disease from flour? GMAFB.

So I should do what . . . make whole wheat biscuits? Spelt biscuits? Not eat bread, cookies, cakes, pies or library paste? You get stranger by the minute. I don’t suppose you can back up any of your claims?

Oh yeah. Sodium wasn’t REALLY an issue until Mr. Pedantic came along.

Shit, Francis. Matt will probably come up with something about how bad chocolate is.

Matt’s right, however. The biggest issue for flour in modern cuisine is that it really tricks the body’s insulin levels, which has a number of bad side effects.

However, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION! Enjoy a biscuit now and again - obviously it won’t kill you. Neither will two or three. If you eat primarily processed foods and simple starches/carbs like refined flour, there’s a whole host of trouble. Since I have met Bob, I know he’s not obese, so flour obviously doesn’t have THAT much negative effect on him - but it might contribute to his crankiness. LOL

I couldn’t edit fast enough. I was trying to point out that you can make all kinds of baked goods without flour.

I wasn’t so much talking to Matt.