Birth-year wine success stories?

they had both 2001s last October. Looks like their online wine menu still shows the 2001 white on there at the same fantastic price they had it a year ago . . .

2 Likes

my kids are 17 and 20. both enjoy wine, have mild interest in it beyond “tastes good”, in part as I have been sharing small pours with them at dinner for a few years. While I never bought a ton specifically because birth year, I do have some decent BY wines and they think it is pretty cool when I open them

1 Like

Damn, that is a good price.

We’ll see how it turns out!

4 Likes

Yes, but I would have stocked up on '59s or '61s in the 1970s and '80s when they were affordable -

1 Like

I did the heat damage test and birth year wine combo

1 Like

Thomas, I feel your pain. :cry:
I’ve never felt compelled to seek out my birth year wines for the simple reason that 1956 was such an awful year. Although, Barolo did produce some good wines. As much as I love (old) Barolo, I never pulled the trigger on a '56.

Apparently, 1956 Tokaji was an outstanding vintage. That could be interesting. :cheers:

Have bought birth year sauternes to toast at their weddings, in lieu of champagne

2 Likes

I’ve done the same. Fortunately, for my son, he’s a 2001

2 Likes

I absolutley love the idea of birth-year wines and have gone super deep for both of my kids (2010 and 2012) across many regions and types of wines. I have also stocked up on birth-year bottles for my wife, my mom, and myself, and its always a treat to open one together

Worst case scenario with my kids, they don’t drink and i end up opening the wines myself and raising a glass to them, my amazing wife for doing a wondeful job raising both children, and celebrating how incredibly fortunate we are as a family :cheers:

10 Likes

I never did, probably because I was poor when my son was born. We went from dual income, living the lifestyle, to my paltry income, and a new partnership capital contribution! The good news is, Nick, a 1998 baby, is really getting into wine. And I love that vintage for Pomerol. I have some great stuff to pop with him now! And can actually afford the stuff. It certainly makes for a lot of fun, I’m glad you guys were able to pre-plan this.

1 Like

56, me, too, likely worst year of the century worldwide, though I’m told there are some decent Tokays.

1 Like

Any suggestions for 64 that wont break the bank? Unlike a bunch of other backfills I have done, (62,73,75) 64 is a stronger vintage- lots of good options across bordeaux, burgundy, rioja, etc. but also strong pricing. Tondonia for 1k+ for example

I am a 64 too. My main interest has been Barolo and Barbaresco. Many good options are still available starting under $200.

2 Likes

For Bordeaux, do your homework. Best results are the chateaus that picked early before the rains

2 Likes

Have had good success with no name 64s as well under $100, speaking to strength of the vintage

One of my nephews was gifted 2 6-pks of 1991 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Ermitage 'Cuvee Cathelin that his dad purchased for roughly $80 per bottle. The first 6 were consumed over time (one bottle every five years) and the rest are probably too valuable to drink and will make a nice downpayment on a house once sold.

1 Like

thought you were kidding till I checked w-s.

I would imagine finding a buyer might be the sticking point.
I got the call to head over for the 3rd bottle at age 15. Enjoyed
a half glass and then drove the 30 miles home happy!

While on paternity leave in 1994, I received a call from my editor at the WineEnthusiast telling me that Mouton Rothschild owner, Philippine de Rothschild was planing to come to the offices and then lunch. As Bordeaux expert, would I like to come. Of course, I would.

I sat next to her at lunch, and she asked about my son, Philip. When she heard the name she became very excited, and talked about her family, her father Phillipe, her mother, who died in a concentration camp, Philippine, her son Phillipe and of course herself. She leaned over to her assistant and said, “make sure we get a case of Mouton 1994 to the child.”

And that was it. I never heard anything. When Philip was ten, I bought him a case, and we opened a bottle every birthday, after he reached the age of eighteen. He loves the story, and the wine.

I bought a fair amount of 1994 Port, but he has yet to develop a taste for it. So a little mixed, but definitely I got a good deal of pleasure out of the Mouton. I will probably need another case, as this one is running low.

1 Like