Birth-year wine success stories?

Too early to tell, but whenever a shipment comes in, the LO asks, “Is it my wine or your wine?”

2 Likes

2017 German Riesling!

3 Likes

Huh? I absolutely adore 2017 reds and whites are positively supreme. Of course we are talking Burg here…

2 Likes

Will makes Napa wine, not Burg…

For what it’s worth, my two year old daughter loves smelling my wine glass to see what each wine smells like. We’re getting her started early :joy: she has a good bottle in the cellar for her 21st. My son, who is five, could care less!

My oldest is 2015, so Sassicaia was what I put away, along with a few Ridge Monte Bello bottles.

My other two didn’t have such great luck (2017 and 2020) for anything domestic, but need to figure out what I’m setting aside for them. I have no worries how the Sassicaia and MB are going to age, so at least 1 of 3 solved. :slight_smile:

Here’s my birth year success story:

One of the best wine and food experiences we’ve ever had was taking our oldest son and his girlfriend to Corrida in Boulder with some of his friends (he was in culinary school there at the time) on the exact day of his 21st birthday in 2022 and celebrating there with amazing wagyu and all kinds of other meat – and opening multiple bottles of both the red and white of his 2001 birth year Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Gran Reservas. Incredible birth year wines to share with him on his exact 21st birthday with great company, great food, and a great setting. I won’t ever forget that night . . .

One more thing: After that night, I bought a case of the 2001 red and have set it aside for him to have years from now once he settles down. I think he’ll appreciate having them and maybe even look back on that long ago birthday night with Mom and Dad when he opens them a bottle or two at a time some day . . .

12 Likes

Foul

Hmmm. Never heard of it.

2 Likes

Too bad. You’re missing out.

2 Likes

Corrida has the Tondonia GRs?

Rumor has it, there was a vintage dated Tawny Port from South Africa from 1956 that was almost drinkable.

Be thankful, 1959 and 1961 cost a fortune.

1 Like

they had both 2001s last October. Looks like their online wine menu still shows the 2001 white on there at the same fantastic price they had it a year ago . . .

2 Likes

my kids are 17 and 20. both enjoy wine, have mild interest in it beyond “tastes good”, in part as I have been sharing small pours with them at dinner for a few years. While I never bought a ton specifically because birth year, I do have some decent BY wines and they think it is pretty cool when I open them

1 Like

Damn, that is a good price.

We’ll see how it turns out!

4 Likes

Yes, but I would have stocked up on '59s or '61s in the 1970s and '80s when they were affordable -

1 Like

I did the heat damage test and birth year wine combo

1 Like

Thomas, I feel your pain. :cry:
I’ve never felt compelled to seek out my birth year wines for the simple reason that 1956 was such an awful year. Although, Barolo did produce some good wines. As much as I love (old) Barolo, I never pulled the trigger on a '56.

Apparently, 1956 Tokaji was an outstanding vintage. That could be interesting. :cheers: