Birth Year Wine Options for 1978?

La Mission Haut Brion - mesmerising.

Can confirm. Had this a couple years back and it was an absolute cracker. IIRC it spent 52 months in oak (according to the back label).

I too am a 78er and have already had my birth year wines in January. I’d also second the recommendation regarding 1978 Barolo, I opened a 1978 Massolino Barolo Riserva Vigna Rionda as part of that group and it was the easy winner. I picked it up in Italy for maybe 150 Euro last year?

Finally, a 1978 Marc Brédif Vouvray would be a good candidate if you’d prefer a white that doesn’t decimate your wallet.

Good call on Bredif. I love his whites, and while I haven’t had any with that level of age, I’m certainly game!!!

This bottle of 1978 Jordan two weeks ago was drinking extremely well, still showing sweet fruit with plenty of complexity.
058E1BE8-FFE8-40DF-828B-88B0EBD37BF9.jpeg

1978 was one of the best wine years in the last century. You pick probably will be what you can afford. I certainly second the Montebello pick if you can afford it. Had two of these in the last 5 years and these made Montebello’s reputation. Great wines but the Bordeaux from that year are also great. Haven’t had a lot of Burgundy from that year but from what I’ve had, really good. champagne.gif