Birth Year Wine Options for 1978?

My last bottle fading fast.

I am a seller at those prices.

You might want to look at Valentino Barolos. Huge number imported into the US, and many still hanging around. If you get a good bottle, it really is superb.

Plenty of great suggestions, but the Vieux Telegraph if you can find it is a great price quality buy.

I’m also a 1978 baby. Bordeaux is excellent, but many of the wines are at full stretch. If you find something with confirmed superb storage, you should be good. Burgundy was excellent, too. I’ve had a number of top notch 78 Cali Cabs - Montelena, as mentioned above, Heinz, and, Mayacamas. There has been a lot of the Cali stuff kicking around at auction recently. Some of the Sauternes was really nice, such as Rieussec. There are also some great options in the Colheita Ports.

I’ve got a 78 Conterno and a couple other goodies lined up for August. If they show we’ll, wonderful. If not? I love the historical importance that’s so personal in this instance. I’d recommend finding something you like and just having fun with it. It sounds like you’re doing just that.

I have one of those! Hoping it’s holding up at age 40 or 41 as may have it either this year or next.

Also a 1978 birth year, so am always look for stuff. If anybody is in NYC and looking for options, I know Astor has some 78 barolo and barbaresco in the store.

Opened a 78 BV Private Reserve just last week. Definitely aged, not getting any better, but still a lovely wine.

Pretty good Vintage Port year, too.

But a comparatively weak vintage for Beaucastel for whatever reason.

Of course the unicorn of the vintage is the La Chapelle.

Pretty good Vintage Port year, too.

I actually can’t think of one Vintage Port. Some Single Quintas. 1977 was the famous VP year.

Plenty of options.

Bordeaux generally greener than many would have you believe. If that’s your bag, Pichon Lalande, Ducru, Cheval, Haut Brion and many others all give plenty of pleasure.

CA is a strong bet. Beaulieu GdL, Mondavi Private Reserve and others are all great. Am sure Heitz Martha’s would be fun, plus Monte Bello.

Rhone is awesome, as is (a lot of) red Burgundy.

Australia is also strong, with an elegant Grange and plenty of good picks from elsewhere. Even inexpensive Cabs can be brilliant.

It’s a good year with rich pickings.

If Napa is your preference- Try and find some Diamond Creek… We had a 78 Volcanic Hill a few months back and it was in the zone… What a great wine… Fully resolved tannin with nice energy and still rocking the fruit. Zero old age stank… I was totally blown away…

I too am a ‘78 baby and while Bdx, Burgundy, Southern Rhône and Napa each present a plethora of fine choices, let’s not forget about Ree-oh-ha … GregT I know you are with me!

PJ’s has got a decent amount (94 btls) of the 1978 CVNE Vina Real GR for $175/per and that is a no brainer purchase in my book … that is unless you are already well stocked :wink:

Montelena also made a Sonoma Cabernet that I had a few years ago. It had aged fabulously and was my favorite of a pretty impressive Montelena veritical.

Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial

Stunning wine. Presently at, or near, peak.

Figeac was outstanding this past month.
some beauties from both banks in BDX
Good luck

78 Giacosa Red Labels are glorious right now, as are well-stored bottles of 78 Valentino Riserva… based on a pretty spectacular run of tastings in the past month… produttori’s can also be quite fine, in particular Rabaja, but count on bottle variation…

I’d have to agree with Mark, as this btl of ‘78 Jordan drank last year had also seen better days …
78jordan.jpeg

If Bdx, I’d also put Las Cases in that grouping of btls to seek out right on up there with the Pichon Lalande
78lascases.jpeg

And if Cali, Heitz Martha’s is another stellar option
78marthasmag.jpg

Seconding this; the 1978 was my introduction to Figeac, and what an introduction it was. Didn’t taste green at all to me

These 78 burgs were just listed at K&L for auction:

https://m.klwines.com/Auction/BidDetail/1359465