Big Island v. Kauai v Maui

I think I just stayed in Volcano and did a slow drive from Hilo around the north side.

The botanic gardens outside Hilo was absolutely and profoundly stunning. I did a five nights on the Big Island, and a week on Kauai.

And the last time I went to Maui, it was 4 nights in Maui and a week in Kauai.

John, maybe that should be your Maui strategy - 4 nights at a nice place in Wailea and the rest of the time in Kauai. Any more time in Maui and you’ll get homesick for Hanalei Bay.

Thanks everyone, this is very useful as I also am considering my (second) trip to Hawaii (last time, a decade ago, we went to Oahu). I remain confused and unsure, but I feel much more informed! [welldone.gif]

Cheers, [cheers.gif]
Andrew

Quick question on Maui. Any really great hikes/nature-wise things to see that don’t involve the Road To Hana? My wife’s really good friend just told her how car sick she got when she was pregnant and driving to the west side of the island, so my wife is pretty hesitant to do the long drive.

Bike ride down from Hakeakala should get your adrenaline going (or just drive up to see the dawn)

Iao needle is a nice walk although well known.

Makawao Forest was a nice hike, but it’s all in the woods with no views. Very interesting forest, though.

Hmm, it’s hard to predict nausea/vomiting during pregnancy. Add in the fact that some normal ppl get nauseous on that drive. All that being said, our absolute favorite hike on Maui is unfortunately at the end of the drive. The Pipiwai Trail to the Waimoku Falls is a must. Leave really early to avoid the line of cars and get to the trail. I think she’ll be fine. I also recommend driving back thru the unpaved road vs going back on the road to Hana. Different views. All the rental car places strictly forbid it but we did it in a normal midsize sedan. Not as scary as the guidebooks say it is. Eat at Mama’s Fishhouse for dinner on the way back, (you’ll be sweaty and maybe a little gross, but meh, it’s Hawaii) and that’s a really complete awesome day!

mama’s fishouse would be through road to hana no? The unpaved rounds are on the southside (and what google maps wants me to do ha)

Don’t worry too much about car sickness on the way to Hana. If you go to Maui, Hana is a must. Just stop lots along the way and enjoy the wonderful views. Yes, Mama’s is on the way, at the onset. Also, it’s completely paved - you’re correct that the unpaved sections are on the south side and due north sides. I’ve driven completely around the island (including at night in pitch darkness) several times. Completely navigable.

Sweet thx. I told my wife. She said she knows where joe lives so will take revenge if she’s throwing up everywhere :wink:

Me, I just lounge on the beach, swim in the ocean, and eat in Wailea and Kihei. Have fun driving on the winding third world roads, then traipsing through the hot and humid bug infested jungle once you get there, and then winding your back home again. l understand from prior experience that pregnant women love that…
[barf1.gif]

she isn’t the beach type of person. She wants her hikes and scenic views. She regularly does 10-11 mile hikes with the dog (HA NOT ME) so we gear a lot of what we do toward that. Personally I’d rather just scuba dive all trip but she wants what she wants.

We did the road to Hana….just once….and no desire to do it again. Fun to see the waterfalls along the way…lot of stops….awesome chilled pineapple for sale, as well as Pakalolo! [whistle.gif] Watch out for the crazy locals when you are headed back……they drive like madmen….coming home from a long days work…and they want to get there quick! Haleakalā was another one and done trip….amazing views…and really doesn’t take that long to do. We eat breakfast at the Kula Lodge half way up….awesome view and food! My wife and daughter did zip lining near by….they loved it!

Charlie,

Was in Maui a few months ago. The highlight was the early morning snorkeling cruise to Lanai.

These guys did a great job, cool crew, even the food was pretty good. We saw some huge dolphin pods, the island is pretty if you walk a bit and the passage through the chanel is relaxing.

I would second Buzz’s recommendation of Monkeypod, quite good, casual.

Both Spago and Duo at the Four Seasons were also very good.

If you go to Kapalua, Merrimans is really excellent, amazing location on the cliff looking towards Molokai, food has a lot of farm to table Hawaii fare and the wine list is pretty large. You should be able to have some of of your daily drinkers, Dujac, Raveneau, Roulot, etc. champagne.gif

http://7383f612c400e6781212-e737b4dccd059994b775c02057c63098.r16.cf1.rackcdn.com/july-1st-wine-list.pdf

You gotta do Hana and then the 7 pools. I recommend picking up the cd ride along as it gave us a lot more info while driving Hana the 2nd time. If Kathy gets sick, lots of places to stop and throw up :slight_smile:

If you are totally into hiking and interested in Hana then staying a night in hana and hiking Pipiwai is cool. It’s always a hotel logistical challenge to stay over in Hana but otherwise it is a bear of a drive and one is limited on time.
Iao is nice, easy hiking. There are also a bunch of cool trails around Haleakala, including the cloud Forest Trail which I’ve never done as it requires some sort of advanced permit. There’s good beginner grade hiking around the Kapalua Resort. I trip around there, go snorkel at Honolua Bay, then go back to Kapalua for lunch at someplace like Sansei or Merriman’s. But in Feb. Honolua can be blown out by surf.

When we did the Hana drive, we stopped at Lingbergh’s grave site at the Palapala Ho’omau Church Cemetery, which is a little ways south of Hana. By the way; driving back in a rainstorm is quite the experience. All those quiet streams coming off the mountains turn into raging rivers.

Mile marker 41

Was debating Maui vs Big island for this Feb myself… ended up having the Flight decide it too… Got 4 tickets, 3 in First, 1 in Economy (altho needing a code to upgarde!) - all in for about $1000 for all 4 [wow.gif] Big island it is!

I assume you used some resource for the upgrades. But still, you got round-trip tix from Seattle to Kona for $250? Nice deal. What airline?

Alaska airlines. Had to buy 2/upgrade 2 in 2015 and 2 more separately in 2016. The risk is upgrade space is full and unfortunately one leg of one person is getting Econ. Ah well.

Two companion tickets.
Paid 670+120 for 2 in 2015, and
670+120 for 2 in 2016.
Total $1600ish

$500 Airline credit in 2015 applied to 2015 tickets, $500 in 2016 applied to 2016 tickets - all from 3 credit card churns. Net $600 out of pocket so far.

Paid $200 so far for 4 upgrade codes and got 2 for free on last day of year. Need 1 more code which I suspect will be $75-$100. And one person on one leg of flight will be in economy.

Total should be around $900 “out of pocket”. For essentially 4 round trip, 3.5 in F. Took a bit of wheeling and dealing but got it to work.

saved $100 because I need one less code now. That upgrade space disappeared from this morning (available) to this afternoon (gone! :frowning:(((( ).

That is an amazing deal you got on the flights. It is always over $1000 per person from Des Moines to the Big Island.