Big Bold Napa Cab Recommendations

I don’t get a lot of big flashy fruit from them and both generally have very tame alcohol levels between 13.7% and 14.5%.

Some Neal wines.

Perhaps Corte Riva.

Big +1 for Pride Mountain.

all the punch yet half the $$ of the big dogs

Justin Isoceles

The OP asked about Napa cabs . . . I believe Justin Isoceles is from Paso Robles.

Must taste the post-Foley wines and you will find this does no longer belong on this list.

Light elegant refined and classical-no
Fragrant and classy while still classic- check
Big Bold New World-no

Many mentioned here are more middle road for me and I would not think of as Big & Bold. Becklyn & Scarlett to start.

Anderson’s Conn Valley could be added to the OP list. Lewelling and some Rudius too.

Shafer Hillside
Les Pavots
Chappellet Pritchard Hill
Bryant

Dana Estates
Fairchild

les pavots comes from calistoga, and napa county, but is not a ‘napa’ wine.

The alpha omega svds are really good too
Jean from AO also makes a wine called the debate
Corra-i think celia still makes this (scarecrow wine maker)
Schrader, riverain, maybach, kinsella, casa piena, stone the crows, gts, outpost, mending wall, rivers marie, hobel, jones, harris, pulido walker, round pond, chiarello, hestan, wallis, revana- all are or have been influenced by trb
Becklyn
Carter
Match
Vineyard 29
Vinehill ranch
Macdonald
Greer
Pott
Shafer hillside (most consistent id say)
Bevan
Aloft
Checkerboard, insignia (blends)
Seven stones
Piper
Realm
Kapcsandy
Harlan
Colgin
Bond
Rudius
Fairchild
Gallica

These are all wines that I have had in the past, most I still buy, some I used to. They all fit the bill.
Sorry about the repeats but it was easier this way off the top of my head :slight_smile:

Continuum, dana, hundred acre and im sure ive left others out

I’m still bummed that Randy stopped making Match cab after the 2010 vintage.

Still got 1 magnum and a 750 of the Butterdragon.

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet so I’d add Bob Egelhoff’s wine. I’ve had more than a few vintages of Egelhoff and have always found them to be true to place and high in quality.

Thread bump.

Any recommendations on Napa cabs like these that are in a more affordable price range ($50-100) and can age well? I’ve had 1997 Dalla Valle and 1999 Araujo Eisele with friends, both which I loved, but are a bit pricey.

Both Lewelling bottlings perhaps ??

Hayfork
Snowden
Seavey Caravina
Becklyn
Drinkward-Peschon

Am I the only one who is finding this thread all over the place? Is Drinkward Peschon “big and bold?” I don’t taste every vintage, but had a recent vintage and found it to not be that. From what I have tasted, Dana and Hundred Acre would certainly be big and bold. But this thread is not allowing for vintage differences, or stylistic changes of a winery that responds to various modes of feedback.

I dunno. I have occasionally shared my wine with people who say ,“wow - this is big!” I just keep my mouth shut, wondering how a sub-26 Brix wine, with an ABV in the mid 14s, and less than 50% new French oak can be “big.” Those are my bigger wines, which happen to be from the even vintages, not the odd years. Odd years tend to be in the 24s for Brix and lower ABV and oak.

But then again, I railed out about “ripeness” in another thread.

Think I’ll go get ready for the Sox/Yankees game. champagne.gif

If this thread is actually still a timely question for the OP I do not know, but without a doubt, the biggest boldest I have ever had is the Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvée Katrina Eileen, and I have had many.

Agre with you completely, Merrill. But it happens in every thread of this sort. E.g., the “best <$60 cab” thread going now. The posts pretty much reflect personal opinions which vary all over the place. I find value because sometimes a wine with which I am unfamiliar gets mentioned. But the OP always, I think, ends up with a lot of homework to do.