Better Mashed Potatoes...Ricer or Food Mill?

I’m thinking the former, but since a ricer is basically a one trick pony, I’m leaning towards a food mill.

Whipping potatoes in the Kitchen Aid used to be the way, but I know what I’m really doing to those poor potatoes.

Maybe it’s just me but I like my mashed potatoes a little chunky, so hand mashing with an old school potato masher does just fine.

Generally I mix in salt, pepper, butter, maybe some EVOO if I want to use less butter, and one milk product depending on what I have on hand: cream/milk/sour cream/Greek yogurt/creme fraiche.

Honestly Mark at first I didn’t know what you were talking about, but the magic of Google tells me your trying to get a smoother result.

And I assume that you don’t have a food processor? That would seem to be a faster way than either a food mill or a ricer…

The ricer is better for light, fluffy mashed.

For me, the most important thing is the spuds themselves. The “baking” varieties are better because of the type starch in them. Their mealy texture gives a better result. The “boiling” varieties hold up well in salads, stews and such, but gives mashed a gluey consistency, esp. if beaten too long.

I use ‘baking potatoes’ and use a hand masher. We don’t mind a few chunks.

+1 on the baking potatoes. I like this ricer for a few reasons. You can leave the skins on the potatoes and pull them out of the hopper after forcing the flesh through the holes (can a food mill do this?). The hinge-pin is removable, making it easy to take apart and clean. And it is stainless steel, so it doesn’t rust and goes in the dishwasher.

I like it better than the piston-style ricer I had before. A monotasker perhaps*, but it does a great job. I’ve never used a food mill for potatoes, but I wonder if the stirring action makes them a tad gluier than a ricer does.

*I have heard of people using it to squeeze water from spinach.

If you want it REALLY smooth use a tamis!

I generally prefer a few chunks, unless I am making one of those versions where [butter] = [potato]

It’s not chunks that I’m avoiding, it is working up the starch in the potatoes. The Kitchen Aid doesn’t leave any pieces, but it will overwork the gluten in the potatoes and make them heavy and gummy.

I use Yukons btw…

This ^^^ was going to be my suggestion. We use an old-fashioned potato masher, despite owning a rice, a food mill, a Kitchenaid mixer, and a food processor. The masher leaves them with some chunks but that’s how we like them.

I agree with Brent. Old fashioned masher until chunky. Salt, pepper, butter, parley and cream. Simple and the perfect ‘stage’ for your protein.

Yup. That’s the method I use, except I use parsley, not parley. And sometimes other herbs.

I don’t like chunks in my mashed potatoes - I like them absolutely smooth. I alternately use the ricer pictured above, or the food mill. I have come to the conclusion that both ways are good - it more depends on the quality of the potato, and somehow the amount of moisture the potatoes take on during the cooking process. Sometimes the Yukons yield a great result, sometimes not. When they are good, they are awesome. I have come to the conclusion that an organic baking potato (the darker/ denser the skin, the better) is the most reliable.

You should try the parley. It’s awesum.

And sometimes you can use it to work out problems with a little compromise on both sides.

Everyone should use more parley…

Parsley in mashed potatoes? What?

Try basil, parsley and thyme . . . even a few tender leaves of rosemary . . . with garlic of course.

Just for fun I tried (not for the first time but for the first time in a long time) russets instead of Yukon Golds. Meh. No flavor.

I have my mother’s old potato masher, works great. Roasted garlic is a nice addition.

Yukon Golds to me have the most flavor IMHO. I definitely prefer an Idaho Russet baking potato for texture and concentration and it is my favorite overall. I actually like the weight Russets have vs. Yukon Gold, and when you add butter and cream that smooths them out. I can see, however, how Mark & Merrill might be going for that delicately smooth texture that a Yukon can provide.

For something in between try the small red potatoes some time. I generally use them more for oven or skillet prep but I like the result mashed as well and they tend to take less time to boil.

I have a food mill and really love making mashed potatoes that way but more often than not I’m too lazy to peel them so I just mash them w an old fashion masher and then quickly whip in milk, butter, etc w a hand mixer.

[welldone.gif] [rofl.gif]