Beta-Jasud Napa visit February 2023`

First, I want to thank Ketan Mody for hosting our group of 4 today at Jasud Estate. This is the second year in a row we have been able to visit Ketan and we finally got to taste some Jasud Estate fruit. I learned about Ketan on this board and have been buying vintages from 13’ onward. Here are my tasting notes from last year for reference (Napa tasting trip. Pride, Spottswoode, Beta-Jasud, Rivers-Marie, Robert Craig, O'Shaughnessy, Neal, Chappellet).

I asked Ketan what happened to the 18’ Vare, which was lost in tank and here are the notes from him:
18’ Vare at the end of fermentation has 1-2 brix to go and someone took the heating pad off the tank and put it on another tank and the tank crashed in temperature ruining the wine. This is why the entire 18’ Vare was lost. Ketan lost $100-$150K worth of wine.

Beta Jasud February visit 2023 with Ketan Mody

19’ Jasud is over sulphuric and won’t be released now. 21’ will come out before the 19’ Jasud gets released. 19’ will age forever. Ketan lost 40% of his vineyard to the Glass fire in 2020, so obviously no 2020 wine from Jasud Estate.

19 Montecillo, first wine tasted- too tight just now. Mountain fruit, tightly coiled; one to lay down and come back to down the road. The fruit contract was extended for 2 years with the purchase from Stewart Cellars. Likely not to be renewed. Retasted later in the tasting, my own notes, buy this wine, forget you own it and open in 12-18 years, high quality wine; clearly mountain fruit.

19’ Lupina, new vineyard for Ketan.
More approachable now. Really like the fruit on it. Great, luscious fruit. Tannins still there, going to age 10-15 years or more.

19’ Maus - not as open and ready for business as the 2018 Maus was a year ago. 2nd taste later in the tasting shows this wine is going to be very pretty. Another one to lay down, but impressive fruit on the palate.

19’ Vare - Per Ketan a finicky site that can take a while to open up. These wines are made as 100% cab and meant to lay down. Truly hard to judge a youthful cab before it’s aged and developed into what it should be. I have bought every vintage of Vare from 13’ up and will also buy 19’. Second pour of Vare later in the tasting, this wine is really vibrant, youthful and will be killer with age.

Jasud estate notes

15 acres planted

The Glass Fire burned all blocks in 2020, as noted 40% of the vines were lost. (edited for clarity)

Jasud Estate is all dry farmed.

Ketan wants 4-5 fruit positions per plant. 1 bottle of wine per plant average.

Micro climates are massive within the vineyard. Ketan is still learning what portions of the vineyard could be bottled as single vineyard. Definitely more to come on this as the vines age and develop.

Ketan re-planted stuff in 21 after the fires.

Ketan doesn’t want to stop making Beta wines, but Jasud is all he ever worked for.

Lupina Vineyard notes - 200 feet from Montecillo vineyard. Right in line with it. 15 year old vines. They are trying to dry farm but not there yet. Only a 2 acre vineyard and shares fruit with one other winery. New site for Ketan.

The 2019s were bottled 3 months ago, so still babies,

Wineries can’t get vineyard insurance due to fires, can get crop insurance but too expensive to buy.

The cost to purchase crop insurance went from around $100K to $1.5M for vineyards in the area.

Ketan says he is sticking with cab, however he has a 1 acre site of river rock cobble at an undisclosed site that he wants to plant with grenache clippings. Stay tuned, nothing is in the ground yet.

There are 5 different cabernet clonal selections on Jasud Estate. There’s almost a 1 month intra vineyard bud break difference on Jasud Estate due to elevation change and vine locations.

Ketan is not sure if there are 1-3 or more micro climates within his vineyard to create single vineyard bottlings. He will definitely do single vineyard or micro-climate bottlings like Diamond Creek once he is better able to establish his own vineyard with more vintages.

Ketan has some sections of the vineyard that are planted as own rooted but he feels there is too much of a risk to plant everything own rooted. He would be happy if he can get 10 vintages out of own rooted vines.

Ketan is planning to apply for a micro winery permit, however it takes 2 years to get.

21’ Jasud is made with I block, A block and every other block in the vineyard. The vineyard blocks are named alphabetically for now but should get renamed as they figure out what to call each site within the vineyard. They will likely reflect his Indian heritage.

21’ Jasud - 100 cases and that’s it. 2 larger barrels of juice. If you’re not on the list, sorry Charlie. Memo to anyone not on the list, get on this list.

Ketan is forecasting $180-$195 for a bottle of Jasud, final pricing isn’t set yet. I could sense that clearly Ketan isn’t comfortable with a final price for Jasud today.

We got to taste the B C D N M 22’ Jasud blocks. Ketan says we are only the second group he has poured 22’ Jasud for.

He is using 700 L Austrian barrels for the wine. Bigger barrels than normal in the area.

Jasud Estate is 100% about the purity of fruit.

22’Jasud was fermented in 3 separate tanks.

Because of the complexity and size of the vineyard, the whole vineyard wasn’t planted at once.

22’ Jasud tasting note, back up the truck. Still young but holy shit the man has something very special on Diamond Mountain.

We got to taste the 22’ A block and the 22’ BCDEMN block which is fucking rocking right now. Still a baby, but the 22’ was actually more open for business than the 21’ Jasud which we felt was shut down today even with the decant from Ketan and a revisit toward the end of the tasting.

Ketan feels he left something on the table with 22’ vintage. He had to pick earlier than he would like due to the heat spike in early September with consecutive 100+ degree days. It got to 120 degrees on Diamond Mountain and he had no choice but to pick the grapes.

Ketan’s philosophy, hands off. He understands the chemistry of his vines. Better know how to drive the fucking car in the vineyard.

Jasud is dry farmed with the exception of a select few blocks that have had troubles getting vines started due to extreme rockiness. He has no pond on the property. The vines are established with water but hand watered. Ketan doesn’t want vines trained to receive water. He says he wants to build a more resilient, dry farmed vine. When the fruit is almost ripe it, drops all the leaves. Nature is designed to do this.

Ketan doesn’t want to show the same wine year to year. We want to show the vintage.

“If you want to plant a vineyard for success, you really should plant for dry farming.”

Ketan says they are the first people to do it in the valley and now others are coming to him to do the same.

“You’re not going to get honesty out of the soil unless you dry farm.”

Ketan doesn’t want to disc in the vineyard, they don’t want water to evaporate

They don’t want to disrupt any of the soil. they want to keep intact as much as possible.The vineyard is all about moisture retention. Ketan picks fruit on PH more than anything else. He samples grapes prior to picking, whole clusters here and there throughout the vineyard.

21’ Jasud revisited - singing. Time and age will do this wine wonders. This is not one to drink young, lay it down and let the wine develop in the bottle. Ketan’s wines are meant for long term aging.

21’ vintage is like Napa 13’ vintage on roids. (my note)

“When everything you’ve worked for for a decade goes up in an hour it takes its toll on you.” Ketan Mody.

Has no investors. This is his baby.

The vineyard was previously a forest and had a cabin here from 1906.

Ketan bought property, had a little help from his dad.

Ketan has a heavy equipment business which helps cover costs.

A permit today is $1M+ and would end up with 1/3 of acreage of what Jasud Estate has.

Clearing the forest and trees took 3 years to get all the roots out. They can’t clear the rocks when they excavated as they would have needed a mining permit to bring rocks off property.

That is a wrap from Jasud Estate. I grouped my winery visit notes together last year in one post and will do a few other wineries grouped together after our trip ends, but felt given the time we spent with Ketan I would like to post this separately. The next release should be out in a couple of weeks, per Ketan.

25 Likes

Thank you Jeff - great stuff! :wine_glass:

3 Likes

Great notes, Jeff, thanks! I loved the '21 Jasud as well. Notes on the '22 are new to me, as is the news about potential pricing and the news that the '19 won’t be released next month after all and will be pushed back. I’m looking forward to the '19 Montecillo in the meantime.

Thanks for the updates!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the notes Jeff. I went a weekend before Jeff and wow. The 19 Beta’s are fire. My favorite was Lupina, but they were all wonderful. I’m definitely buying as much as I can. I was able to taste the 21 Jasud. It’s one of the best Napa wines I’ve ever tasted. It definitely is tight, but the purity of wine is undeniable. Wow. I will buy as much as I can if offered!

1 Like

What a fantastic write-up! The excitement you have for what Ketan is doing jumps off the page. Well done! Really impressive overall and glad I don’t have to kick myself for not signing up when I did!

I can’t imagine what a gut punch it is to lose $150k in wine due to an error. I’m assuming there’s no insurance to cover something like that. Guessing he has to simply chalk it up to a ‘school of hard knocks’ type lesson in the business.

Did Ketan say what labels were going to be in the upcoming release?

3 Likes

19 Beta. Vare, Lupina, Maus, Montecillo. I do not expect any Jasud to be in this release.

3 Likes

Great notes! I was fortunate enough to visit at the end of last year and it was without a doubt the best winery visit/tasting I’ve ever experienced.

5 Likes

100% agree.

2 Likes

Been hanging on for the Jasud release, but didn’t buy last release, so maybe I’m at the back of the line again.

1 Like

@Jeff_M1 great write up.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a winemaker that is this honest about the trials and tribulations of making wine and in current day Napa. And that is one of the things I love about Ketan.

One nitpick when you say the Glass fire burned all blocks it reads like the entire vineyard was lost and this is not true.

2 Likes

I’ll edit this when I get back on my laptop so the notes aren’t out of order or if I missed it above. Ketan did say he lost 40% of the vineyard, not everything. The fire ripped through the property, he lost a sea container he was using for storage on site as well.

Jeff, you did note that Ketan lost 40% of his vineyard in the fire. Connecting the dots, I concluded that he lost the rest of his 2020 grapes to smoke taint.

1 Like

No question it was tragic. His motorcycles were also lost. Not sure if they are still there, on my last visit you could see the molten metal blobs.

2 Likes

Ketan and his wines sound so interesting. Jeff thanks for the review. One thing that jumped out at me is the spiraling price of insurance - to the point where owners elect not to insure at all (not even self insure, really, because they’d be wiped out). That’s not sustainable, and I really feel for the folks trying to make a go of it.

2 Likes

Wow, Jeff! Very deep dive visit. Thanks for putting the notes together.

3 Likes

That feels like a heavy release - any sense of what might be in the fall release? Jasud and Hamilton, or some other vineyards Ketan has been working with? Thank you very much for the notes and pictures - great to read.

1 Like

Amazing write up

Ketan is such an OG

2 Likes

I followed up with Ketan this morning as I didn’t ask him yesterday what all was in the next release.

Per Ketan: I am not sure if I am going to wait or if I will release them this spring but the 19’ Betas.

Maus
Hamilton
Montecillo
Vare
Lupina

21’ Jasud will be released after the 19’ Betas.

It might be a couple of years before another release after the 19’ Betas and 21’ Jasud because he made no wine in 2020.

I get the sense after texting Ketan this morning that he may split the 19s into 2 releases and do the 21’ Jasud next year.

Guess we will wait to see what he is offering when he sends the offer out.

5 Likes

Ketan wasn’t the only one who has brought up insurance. We did a private tasting in Coombsville and dinner with a wine maker who also mentioned how insurance is now a huge problem for wineries.

Thanks for the update Jeff! Inquiring minds want to know!

1 Like