Best wine youve "wasted" by drinking when hammered

My wife was a little buzzed one time and grabbed a bottle from the wrong shelf. Was a 2009 Seaver GTS Cabernet Sauvignon. I wasn’t home. She was too buzzed too appreciate it, the others with her are of the Yellowtail crowd (not trying to be too snobby), it got no air before being consumed, our only bottle from that year, and it was recently shipped out so it was so young. Was not happy when I saw the empty bottle on the counter. They drank my Tom Seaver wine!!!

For me that is almost always Pappy Van Winkle - or some other boutique hard to find bourbon.

Wow, BDK, there goes the Seaver! The only bottle! Right down the throats of the Yellowtail girls! I would need to go out for a long walk after I discovered that. Something like that really tests a marriage.

Sadly i dont remember the first time I had screagle.

1996 Fisher Lamb’s vineyard after several martinis…, then regretfully followed that up ordering a 2010 Montebello. Not my best decision making day.

[cray.gif]

I recently opened my first Rhys horseshoe chardonnay at a gathering and I only remember having a couple sips of it before calling it a night and getting an Uber home. Not sure if anyone drank it after I left.

I can recall four of them. Whether or not they were “wasted” is up for debate. In both cases, everyone was content, and another bottle didn’t need to be opened. All of them were with a small contingent of the local wine intelligencia.

1996 Tempier Bandol Rouge - Someone had brought a much younger Tempier. So at the end of the night, after I had served and cleared dessert, I said, “Let’s drink a Tempier with some age on it.”

1996 Chave Hermitage Rouge - Same scenario.

2002 Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée - similar scenario. One of the group showed up with half a case of 2007 proclaiming it as the best value there is in Burgundy. He was acting as if he made a very recent discovery. So at the end of the night, I quietly went down to the cellar and brought out a 2002. I couldn’t help myself. I had to show that this producer was not a recent discovery.

1997 Barnett Vineyards Spring Mountain Cabernet - At another guests house, I brought this as my backup to a 1990 Dalla Valle Maya. The Maya was singing. Didn’t need to open the backup. The euphoria of the moment got the better of me.

In all of these instances, these were my ONLY bottles of these wines. So, in that sense, maybe they were “wasted.” I have a modest cellar (300-400) that is very diverse. I don’t own many multiples–I like to try too many different wines, albeit within a budget. My friends know this about my approach to wine, however, and were very appreciative of my “sacrifice.”

Chateaux LaTour 1995 right out of the cellar. Was about midnight into about 6 bottles by the three of us. Ugg

I opened a 2004 Truchot Bourgogne a couple years ago late in the evening. Didn’t think much about it since they weren’t all that expensive. Now they’re like $1,000,000,000 a bottle and I’m annoyed I opened a number of them so frivolously.

A magnum of 1982 Sociando Mallet opened for friends after a big dinner and drinks out. We had fun, but the wine was wasted on us. [head-bang.gif]

I had a 91 Far Niente Mag that I pulled from my cellar one 4th of JulyBBQ very late in the night when nearly everyone was way too far along. luckily a friend of mine saved me. he stopped me and said, “I tell you what… Save this one for another time. Grab something else, these people won’t know the difference…” He really meant that even I wouldn’t know the difference. I still thank him for that moment of wisdom. I haven’t always been so lucky to avoid doing that

1980-something Grange Hermitage at 3 a.m. We were only about half way through when the police dropped by to say turn the music down.

“Wasted palate” yes- after an afternoon grilling party with many friends and copious wines that included: rose to start, zin with some of of the earlier courses of grilled meats, cab for the final proteins and grilled veggies- we ended the night popping 2 each 2001 Lokoya MV and HM. Next morning when I noticed the Lokoyas in the recycle bin I realized the impact of our “wasted palate mistake…”

I recall this vividly, the '90 Latour was repeatedly requested by one particular guest, I opened it, but it was the last time this person was ever a guest at anything I was involved in… This happened after opening nearly 30 bottles of California Pinot from my cellar at earlier that evening…

As far as recent stupid drunk moves goes, I have no recollection of drinking my Laval Rose as it was in the middle of a 19 bottle lineup with 6 of us basically drinking all of the wines. I do remember making French 75s out of 03 Dom though champagne.gif

vogue amoureses 2008
I think it was ok

this is my favorite WB thread by far!

Ha! Did something very similar with a bottle of '12 Lokoya MV last year. This was only because we were moving at the time and I had stacks of OWCs (all full) sitting in my living as the wine transport company was coming the next day.