Best wine glass

I tried a 1971 DRC Romanee Conti in that Baccarat glass. It seemed to get a little lost in that huge bowl.

+1, I’m satisfied with our Schott Zweisel Stems.

+2

Those Baccarat glasses do look good, sure as heck will concentrate the nose

Makes me think about whisky glasses, I used to use a traditional heavy crystal tumbler then I tried the small rounded whiskey tasting glass and realized how much it concentrated the nose, with something like Four Roses Single Barrel Limited almost to a point of being to much. I wonder what these would do for wine

I get paying for high end glassware but, for me, evaluating a wine with a $10 stem isn’t much different than a $150 stem as I am still learning to perceive all the nuances a wine can demonstrate at a fairly basic level. I liken it to my golf game. Buying the most high tech and expensive clubs might shave a stroke or two off my game, but what’s really holding me back is my swing mechanics, lack of regular practice and the seven inches between my ears. Guess I’ll long for the day when I’m a scratch wine drinker. [cheers.gif]

Gabriel glass has a sale until the end of the month. Sfvm will get you 15% off and free shipping.

I am a sucker. I bought 3 zalto universal glasses at an estate sale for a grand total of $5. I wanted to not like them, but damn, I love them. Now, I seldom use any of the other 100+ stems we have. So I ordered a two pack of each of the GG to try out because I need to spend more money on wine related things and need more glasses.

I like the glass Riedel Cabernet stems. They are really versatile and most of all, Dishwasher safe :slight_smile:

Is that deal available from the Gabriel Glass website? I didn’t see it mentioned there. How do you get the discount and free shipping applied?

Just enter that code “sfvm” in the coupon box. It deducts the 15% and also gives you the option to select free shipping from a drop-down box. I did notice that it still calculates sales tax on the pre-discounted price, however.

Awesome…thanks for that code. Just ordered 2 of the standard art glasses. Great deal.

Thanks

Ordered one machine and one hand to see what the deal is, useful savings made average cost per glass $35

coupon is now expired?

No, just worked for me! [cheers.gif]

weird. it doesn’t work if viewing the site using chrome, but works with internet explorer.

It is if the general consensus is that the best glass out there is in the $60 range. Why pay more for a lesser glass?

I was going to, a little sheepishly, say that a design store a couple of blocks from me had an in-house wine tasting (the wines weren’t great) to show off a stem they were going to start carrying. I liked the feel of it, so I bought two, then two more, and I’ve been very impressed ever since. But no one else bought any, so they stopped carrying them. Still, I was about to recommend these weird, esoteric glasses, and they turn out to be Gabriel Glas. I bought the machine-made, as I was pretty sure I was capable of breaking the hand-blown. I’ve broken a ton of Riedels, but I still have all 4 Gabriel Glas.

Thanks Dave, order placed. Looking forward to trying out the Gabriel Stems.

I’ve bought one of each Gabriel Glas regular and hand-blown a couple months ago. I’ve got to say that I pretty much use only the hand-blown. They are both nice but once you play with both you just are going to like the lighter weight glass. I’ve decided with the sale to buy more of the hand blown. So far no breaks from any of them. Actually I was going to try the Zalto but they just don’t offer as good a deal so I’m passing for the moment. AHA life (who sells them) bugs me with their slogan " The anticipation is killing us! You’ve picked something extraordinary. Make it yours." when I left my cart without purchasing. Get a life AHA LIFE:(((((

Thanks dave for the coupon code. Just pocked some up.

Coupon didn’t work on Mozilla either but no probs on Explorer.
I’ll try 2 machined ones and see how I like them.