Best wine glass

I want the glass to be balanced (obviously I dont feel Zaltos are not) and I want the lip of the glass to be as thin as possible. The overall weight of the glass doesnt matter to me.

“Best wine glass” is at least as subjective than “best wine” and even more variable, in my opinion. I’ve never done a rigorous side-by-side taste test of different wine glasses, but I strongly suspect that my preferences would shift in a close to random pattern. I’ll grant that different shapes “perform” differently with respect to aroma and perhaps aeration; I don’t really understand how they would affect taste other than via the aforementioned aroma and aeration factors.

That said, we have a dozen each of Zalto Universals and Burgundies. We love them. We love the way they look and feel. We use the Universal for Zin and Syrah (and just about everything else except for Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo). But I’ve used the Gabriel Glas in restaurants (once at the same time as Zaltos, at Saison in SF), and thought they were generally comparable. I couldn’t say which was better and would be happy with either. I’ve used plenty of Riedels, Schott Zweisels and Spiegalaus in different shapes and am happy drinking out of any of them. We use our Zaltos almost entirely for aesthetic reasons… and because we broke all of our Riedels.

Regarding weight, I like the lightness of our Zaltos. But I doubt it makes any difference as to taste.

Love my Zalto Universal but more importantly, is $150 really a “reasonable” price per stem?

I agree that $150 is out of the ball park but Alan may be a High Rollin Wine Ballah? I think under $50 is more appropriate? It is for me at least; I broke several Zaltos the first two weeks I received them and cringed each time I clumsily broke one.

I would pick that you’re insane for even thinking about spending that kind of dough on a glass [wow.gif]

Here’s the real scoop: wine glasses are like golf clubs. If they look good to you, feel good in your hands, and you like how they work for you, use 'em. Don’t get fooled into thinking you have to spend big bucks on fancy glasses.

Check out this thread from last year:

A large brandy snifter is my favorite glass of all time.

With regards to a budget of $150

The majority of people on this froum spend at least $1,000’s a year and im sure a few more than $10,000 a year. I bet that the average cellar value is over $10,000 with the big guys being $50,000+

Is $150 on the glass to enjoy that value of wine so ridiculous ?

Would you put cheap retreads on a Porsche ?
Wear a $5 polyester tie with an Armani suit ?
Buy $5,000 worth of golf clubs then used practice range balls on the course because they are cheaper ?

I’m OK with your logic, just that I honestly can’t imagine paying $150+ for a glass. I’ve never even see one that expensive.

I drink from Riedel Ouverture Red Wine glasses that go for about $10/ea (and most of mine are free from various tastings, like La Paulee). Because they easily fit in the dishwasher :slight_smile:

I’ve enjoyed many very expensive bottles of wine from a Zalto Stem that I paid a fraction of $150 for and can’t imagine many glasses making the experience a whole lot better.

I get the logic behind your comments, but $150 just seems a little much.

You have just identified an under-served market. Perhaps a new Berserker line of $150 stems is in order. hmm…

I found you a $150.00 wine glass.

http://www.ravenblackwood.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_38&products_id=188&osCsid=27d18e665ea9a001bf1b1c5a3f3b6b3a

Not many can say they have that…errr…vampire wine glass.

Here’s another - fortunately the two I have were given to me as thank you.

Do you just use it for Burgs? Nice, but is it hard to drink from? There is another one that looks just like that, I think it’s called the DRC stem… Someone posted a link to it last week.

That looks literally impossible to drink from without dribbling all over yourself :wink:

As someone who was imprinted on Riedels circa 1993 and owns 90, if you buy only one, then I vote for Gabriel hand-blown. But if you want to buy separately for syrah, zin and Rhone, then buy Reidel Vinum Syrah (416/30), Riedel Sommelier Zinfandel (425/15)* and Reidel Sommelier Hermitage (4100/30), respectively.

*My wife would vote for Riedel’s Vinum Zinfandel/Chianti glass because the wine will be more concentrated; I recommend the Sommelier glass, because it will give you more subtle flavors. A simplistic dividing line is ~$20/bottle.

I read it somewhere a serious wine collector (resides in Bay Area) who frequently hosts wine dinner uses BACCARAT XL GLASS for reds, $130 each. But, I can’t remember the guy’s name since he is so out of my league…

Anyone tried that glass ?

Not sure what this thread is really asking…I don’t consider a $150 glass something I’d ever consider.

My “best glass” is the $6 Crate and Barrel knockoff of the Zalto Burgundy glass. I use it for all wines worthy of a special glass, particularly red, though also whites that benefit from the amplification of the aromatics and the palate too. It does all of these wines justice…and me, too.

And, I sleep well when I break one.

Shang, this looks like a VERY nice glass, thanks for posting. As mentioned earlier, for me the Zalto glasses are too thin, not well balanced, they sound dull and they don’t give any high quality feeling to me…but again, this is my personal opinion. When I have guests at home on a nicely decorated table I prefer glasses like the Baccarat you have posted…they give much more special feeling than any Zalto imho.

But: for tasting wine it’s a different story…the Zaltos are great here…even though I’d prefer the Gabriel glass.

Thanks again Shang, will look out where to get the Baccarats :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I even realized there were wine glasses in or anywhere near that price range. I still drink from non-balla glasses like Schott Zweisel that cost under $10@.

No disrespect to anyone buying expensive glasses though; it’s interesting to hear about some of these glasses. Maybe I should buy one just to see whether it changes my wine experience or not.

I’m not that curious.