Best Value Wine(s) of 2017

A lot of great value 2009 Bordeaux are drinking well now, though not showing aged complexity (prices paid on release):
2009 Haut Bergey $30
2009 Lalande Borie $25
2009 Lanessan $19
2009 Meyney $27
2009 Poujeaux $27

2015 Francois Lumpp Givry 1er Clos du Cras Long

At $36, it doesn’t quite fit your criteria, but it’s my clear winner and it’s far better than many Pinots/Burgs at 2x or 3x the price.

Terre Nere Etna Rosso, Tojaki dry Furmint, Savage Grace Riesling, Pierre Gerbais Grains de Celles (great Champagne for ~30$), Envinate Albahra, Delas Saint-Esprit CDR, Clos des Briords (not sure this needs to be mentioned), Bernhard & Reibel Cremant D’alsace Brut - are some that I can think of that I have had this year that stood out in my mind.

Thanks for all the participation on this topic. I may be stretching the availability requirement, but am curious if Sandlands should be part of this conversation? I’ve never had any, but feel like I need to act quicker the next time the mailer comes out…

Sandhi Sta Rita/Sta Barbara Pinot $20
Titus Reserve Cabernet $35
Willi Schaefer Kabinett $25
JJ Prum Kabinett $25
Robert Weil Spatlese $10
Terre Nere Etna Rosso $21
Cornelissen Susucaru $25

Ryan, that price is an aberration. It’s expensive Givry, typically $50-$60/bottle now. I agree that Lumpp’s wines are good, but there is lots of competition at the price.

2002 Huet Clos du Bourg demisec…great deal for around $18 US.

2012 Chateau Peyrabon, US$15 on Wine Searcher.

It wasn’t even close for me. 2016 Domaine Guillaman Vin de Pays des Côtes de Gascogne. I hear it is $9 at the local state store, which is a good deal, but I paid $60 for an entire case through a friend that is ITB.

As others of said, there are quite a few 2009 and 2010 Bordeaux that are great values.

No Bordeaux??? Surprising.

Soave (Inama, Pieropan, Gini…)

+1 re Mark K and Santorini…Sigalas, Gaia and Argyros make up my stash, in some years wd include Boutari, in spite of their industrial strength production numbers
Marietta OV 66 and any other Marietta red that comes in under $30
+1 re the basic Bedrock Zin and Syrah tho in some vintages they come in a bit over the top and need/reward several years of cellaring…
Paumonock dry Rose
Gini Soave

Yes, good point David. 2009 Bordeaux has been giving lots of terrific drinking already, for quite reasonable pricing.

Not sure what those others you list cost today, but I reloaded on the 09 Lanessan for $23 earlier in 2017. I remain shocked how much I like that wine, I think it would turn heads in a blind tasting. Sounds like Robert agrees (I’ve not tried the 2010).

For whites, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Pepiere Clos des Briords ($17) yet.
That, and the Bodegas Ponce Mancheula Reto ($16) for whites - Albillo is my new infatuation.

For red:
2001 Couly-Dutheil Chinon Clos de l’Echo ($23)
2013 Domaine les Pins Bourgueil Le Clos ($15)
2014 JP Brun Fleurie Grille Midi ($19)

And a 2014 Musar Jeune rose for pink.

Lots of contenders, but if I had to pick a red and a white:

• 2015 Gonon Iles Feray ($24?);
  • 2015 Donnhoff Estate ($15)

2015 Ch Thivin Brouilly
2014 Ch Cantemerle (if you have a total wine coupon)
2016 Sigalas
2015 Keller Limestone
2015 Educated Guess
2007 Vina Ardanza

I’ve often said that Baudry La Croix Boissée is the cheapest great wine in the world, but with it closing in on $50 I guess it doesn’t qualify here so it must be the 2014 Baudry Clos Guillot. This isn’t just a “daily drinker” although the price may fool you. I think it is the best wine that Matthieu has made from Clos Guillot (which is an exceptional terroir) and will be very good for a long time.
I’m sure the 2015 Baudry Les Grezeaux would be on this list, but I haven’t opened a bottle yet.
2014 Texier Brézème, because, duh.
Always Pépière, always Pinon.

A few new things. I’ve enjoyed Falkenstein for a few vintages but the 2 wines below are ridiculously good and dirt cheap given the pedigree and excellence.
2015 Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken
2015 Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb
I’ve been having a love affair with Gramenon for the past couple of years and the 2016 Gramenon Côtes du Rhône “Poignee de Raisins” is the only one I’ve had this year that fits in the sub-$30 category, unfortunately.
A surprise was 2014 Bruno Duchêne Vin de Pays de la Côte Vermeille La Luna. Gorgeous.

Sticking to wines under $20…

Red:
Envinate Benje ($20) - Drinks like Lapierre Morgon SS, but has the volcanic soil element that adds more layers and depth. Envinate is my discovery of the year at any price point. IMHO it is shaping up to be the most exciting/new cult winery. Their Taganan white was up there as the best white wine I have had this year. Was kicking myself for splurging a ton on 2014 white burgs.

Worthy recommendation for the price:
Esporao Assobio ($14) - Had it in a tasting along with Vega Sicilia valbuena, La Rioja Alta, Caymus, Shafer, Beaucastel CdP, Pio Cesare. This one stood its ground and maybe was even more enjoyable than some of those names. Took it to a boat party this summer and the bottle was an universal hit. Note to self: explore Portuguese reds and whites in 2018.

White:
Clendenen Family vineyards chardonnay pip ($17) - reminded me of a premier cru, puligny. Incredible minerality, stone fruit, subtle nuances of oak, long lingering finish.

Thanks for reminding me of these. A crowd pleaser at the Thanksgiving table.

2015 Cameron Pinot Noir, Ribbon Ridge, about $21-22.

For 2016, it was the 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir, Ribbon Ridge. I think I paid $20 or less (two cases), most of which is gone.